Windows 7 USB Miserable Problems!!!

The hot swapping was meant for jamez243 really... Which drivers are you using exactly?
Hi kemical

I am using the Beta drivers I downloaded from AMD site when I first installed Win 7 Bld 7000. I tried the
Vista vers 9.6 but could not get to recognize my external back-up USB drive so I reverted to the Beta
drivers which I had saved. I have checked the AMD site and apart from the new 9.7 catalyst graphics drivers there do not appear to be any new SB driovers for Win 7 64. I see XP/Vista 32 bit and Win XP 64 drivers but
nothing for Win 7 64.

Again thanks for your input.

Stransky

I updated my Southbridge drivers last week with the 9.7vista version (as you say, there are no AMD chipset drivers for 7)
and I thought they were a great improvement and i could definately notice a difference.... Why not give them a go?

Drivers & Tools | GAME.AMD.COM

Another possible solution

Hey folks,
I wanted to share this little tidbit of useful info...
If you have access to a computer with windows vista or have a duel-boot install you might want to try this...

First, you need access to a folder in the windows vista install: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\.
This can be done via a read-only network share if the files are on another computer. (what I did)
You could also copy the files somehow as it should work too...

Next, go into your device manager, open the properties for one of the problem devices, go into the "Driver" tab and click "Update Driver...".

Then click "browse my computer for driver software", and choose the network share or folder mentioned above...

Hopefully, Windows might find a better copy of the drivers. (This worked for my modem and audio chipset!)
Best of luck!

Alex H. (nunchuck)

Edit: you could also use the driver files in your windows.old folder if you did a custom install over vista....
(I remembered this before logging out... w00t!)

Last edited:
Hi kemical

Thanks again for the Vista tip. Appears to holding up well since I d/l`d and installed Vista SB drivers. No freezes so far and I have been playing COD2 for a couple of hours. Before I got about 30mins play, also Firefox holding up well.

Stransky
(Douglas B)

Hi kemical

Thanks again for the Vista tip. Appears to holding up well since I d/l`d and installed Vista SB drivers. No freezes so far and I have been playing COD2 for a couple of hours. Before I got about 30mins play, also Firefox holding up well.

Stransky
(Douglas B)

Exccellent! I hope it holds out for you.. There's nothing more frustrating than a pc on the fritz.. so like i said lets hope it lasts...:)

Hi All

Back again to the same old problem (USB) . I am again having problems with USB attachments even though I am running with the latest SB 700 Vista drivers. The most frustrating one is the inability to use my \USB mouse. Fortunately I have a OC mouse and my board supports it but that is not the major prob. Recently when the USB freezes after about 2 or 3 mins of trying to access anything on the PC it suddenly BSODs.
This is a new feature that I have not had before. I am still running RC Bld 7100 64 bit which I downloaded from the MS$ site. Has anyone come across this and if so, did they find any solutions? I really like this OS and have pre-ordered Prem Vers so I hope that these problems will not recur with it. BTW I have downloaded and installed all updates released by MS$ to date.

Stransky
(Douglas B)

Edit: I am submitting to this thread from my XP 64 OS as Win 7 froze again as I attempted to go online
using USB Mouse.

Hi Stransky,
what make is the mouse again? I know with my mouse I get firmware updates which improves it's compatibility with vista (the 7 versions haven't been released yet or are not needed) So I was wondering if yours was similar? Also are you installing any drivers for the mouse and if so, are they up to date as i'm sure your aware that blue screens are usually related to driver issues...

Just as a last thought, and apologies if I've already asked this but are you running the latest bios?

Last edited:
Hi kemical

I am using both a USB wireless mouse and a generic usb mouse and have not needed to install drivers for these. But I am still getting USB freezes even when I have a PC mouse connected. Everything appeared to be going ok and then it suddenly went downhill. I am wondering if it had anything to do with the latest updates for Win 7 (especially Win Defender as a few days ago win 7 flagged up a problem with defender and
closed it down and raised an error report to ms$), just a thought after doing so well after running the latest Vista drivers.

Stransky
(Douglas B)

Hmm....usually mice these days do come with some sort of driver, why not try installing them and seeing if that makes a difference..or.. do they not have drivers?

Hmm....usually mice these days do come with some sort of driver, why not try installing them and seeing if that makes a difference..or.. do they not have drivers?
Hi kemical

I have already tried with Microsoft drivers and also generic mouse drivers. There were no drivers supplied with my mice only Software to aloow customisation of extra buttons, and then only for IE and Outlook Express, which I do not use (Firefox, Thunderbird person). I have an external 500Gb USB HDD and when it is on, that is when I seem, note seem, to have the problems so maybe WIn 7 is incompatible with this type of drive. Can't find any other explanation for the USB freezes. The drive is a Samsung unit with 32Mb cache in a Verbatim enclosure. Do not have the problem with Win XP 64.

Stransky
(Douglas B)

Is the motherboard bios up to date? I know this may seem unconnected but I just want to cut out all the variables if poss'...

Back
Top Bottom