Windows 7 User Profile Service Cannot be Loaded?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

My friend called a few minutes ago and that he is getting the message, "User Profile Service Cannot be loaded".
I'm going to go over there tomorrow morning and see if I can fix it, I'll probably start by trying to load into safe mode and set up a new user profile and run anti malware scans.

Anyone have any experience with this and have any suggestions?

Mike

This is the steps I have used in the past to resolve this issue.
Safe Mode and then enable the hidden admin account, log on as the hidden administrator and work through this renaming process.

http://www.windowspasswordsrecovery...ce-failed-the-logon-error-in-Windows-8-7.html

After you step through the renaming process remember to reset the "State" and "RefCount" to 0 (zero).

Hope that helps, it has always worked for me in the past.

Hi Randy

Worked perfectly!

Only took a few minutes to fix it.

They think I'm a genius. LOL
I memorized the process so I didn't have to read any thing.

Mike

Sent fro my iPad,

Hi Randy

I have an observation and a question.

First when I looked and my "Profilelist" I see that there is no .bak version of my list.
Do you have one in your Windows 10 install?

My question is, now that I've substituted the backup profile list on his computer for the bad one, I'm assuming you couldn't do this process again, because the backup entry is now a bad one?

If that's true is there a way to correct that?
Could I make a copy of the good one and substitute it for the bad one with the bak added to the end?

Also if he had a restore point from not too long before the problem started, wouldn't using it from Safe Mode fix the issue?

My friends father died last night, so they needed to have the use of their computer for email etc., but not much time today.

I'm going to go back in a couple of weeks and install EaseUS backup software and make them a recovery disk so they can restore the computer on their own if they need to.

I ordered the computer for them from Falcon Northwest, and specked 2, 500 Gig hard drives.
When I looked at it today, 6 years after they bought it they have less then 100 Gigabytes of stuff on it total. LOL

They hadn't run CCleaner since the day I set it up.
It took forever to run today and there was 5 Gigabytes of junk on it.

If you wonder why I got them a Falcon Northwest computer it's because I showed them several Dell options and they said "We want the same kind of computer you have", since money isn't a problem for them anyway, that's what they got.

Theirs did cost about half of what mine did though. LOL

In 6 years this is the first time they've had a problem, so I guess they can't complain.

Mike

Last edited:
First when I looked and my "Profilelist" I see that there is no .bak version of my list.
Do you have one in your Windows 10 install?
Nope.... nothing like that on mine. I'm not sure exactly when the .bak extension is placed on the profile in the registry's profile list. I assume it is either at the point in time when the profile logon error occurs or when you use safe mode to log on. So someone who is not experiencing this issue would not have one.
My question is, now that I've substituted the backup profile list on his computer for the bad one, I'm assuming you couldn't do this process again, because the backup entry is now a bad one?
You actually rescued the profile that was problematic by renaming it and resetting the reference count and the state values and removing the .bak extension.
The one that remains now with the .bak extension as a result of you having followed the steps above (you made it during the renaming steps) is actually just the temp profile that was produced as a result of the problem. I'm pretty sure it could be safely removed or renamed with any extension of your choosing (.BAK, .SAV .OLD, etc.,) although I've actually never personally gone the extra step of doing so.

Back
Top Bottom