Windows 7 User Profile Service failed the logon

debincolo

After repeated refusals to upgrade to windows 10 (come on!) and just today after automatic update one day ago, my user profile cannot be accessed. It shows a message "The User Profile Service service failed the logon. User Profile cannot be loaded". I can't get to my account - help please! I'm using the other user account on my computer. Thank you!

I think debincolo is stating that she didn't upgrade to Windows 10 and her profile would not load after the recent Windows 7 update. I had the same problem today. I had to use system restore to restore my computer to it's state before the latest update. I've turned off future updates until I know more about the problem.

Copy and paste the following from a command prompt
  • whoami /user
  • reg query "HKLM\Software\\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList"
  • reg query "HKLM\Software\\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\<SID from whoami command>"

Also, if the other Windows account you are logging in with is an Administrator account, you can create a new Administrator account and copy over the old Profile from the locked out Account to the new Administrator account, and set a new password on it once working. You can try this if other methods above fail to solve the problem.

This might be the last resort to performing a complete Windows Reinstallation from factory Recovery Discs; also known a Windows Reset. Make certain that you backup all your personal data to external media however before attempting either of these repairs.

Good Luck!
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

@holdum333: Yessiree, Bob! So, true. It's an Education issue for sure.o_O And especially where I live, in a Mountain Resort community that is quite rural. Not only do most of my Clients not make recovery discs, when I ask them if they have the discs that came in the box with their computer or laptop, they look at me like Klaatu when he landed in his space ship in the original sci-fi movie "THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL" in 1951.o_O I would estimate that only 20% of my Clients have their recovery discs and can actually lay their hands on them. Maybe 10% know what they are used for, and probably about 5% or less have actually gone through the process of using the built-in factory app and created recovery discs if their computer did not come with recovery discs out of the box. And probably about 1% or less use some kind of Image Cloning software and actually have tested it. Most of those are in my local computer club, and are much more savvy than my average Clients, and many have attended my Backup Workshops. Circling around, it all comes back to Education or lack of it. People who take computer classes, or read books about computers are probably 3x more likely to either have their recovery discs or know enough to keep them, since they understand their purpose and what and when they are used for. That's one of the areas that inspired me to become a computer technology teacher.

<<<BBJ>>> :thud:

Nope; in Big Bear area, Southern California area; about 90 miles southeast of Los Angeles. Though, I've visited Colorado (back in '99) and really liked it. Love the Mountains, trees, skiing, hiking, fishing lifestyle for sure! :cool:
Here's a link to our Chamber of Commerce site that tells a bit about our community; check it out if you like:
Big Bear Chamber of Commerce - Big Bear, California

Cheers!
BBJ

Back
Top Bottom