Windows 8 \\???\Users\david\Searches a potential threat?

David Yu

I've been using windows8.1 for 6 months now. Tonight I found this thing worry me much.

under NETWORK icon in winodws file explorer, go down to computer name, profile name and the folder searches I found an icon named "search everyplaces" like folder or file or symbolic link, when I click on it I could see all files on my hard disk drive. I've deleted the icon as soon as I found out it takes me to my entire HDD access, the only folder left in searches folder is
winrt--{S-1-5-21-1416695033-2912148431-1595073808-1001}-
this does nothing so I leave it along...

some questions here.

1. what settings make this happen? I disable network share in homegroup (disable it) still I see this searches folder on NETWORK.
2. where must I do to disable this?
3. is this whole thing I should worry about that others maybe able to access my system from outside or LAN?
4. does this exist by default in widnows8.1?

windows ver: Win8.1 Traditional Chinese with all latest updates done

thx in advance
David

Last edited:
3. is this whole thing I should worry about that others maybe able to access my system from outside or LAN?
4. does this exist by default in widnows8.1?

#3 I would say no to the worry about it part and extremely doubtful to the access system from outside LAN part.
#4 Apparently so
See Attachment
Searches.png
As far as disabling or turning it off, I really don't have an answer for that.

Hi

For what it's worth, I'm running Windows 8, and I looked out of curiosity to see if I had anything like that.

The only things I see in my Searches folder are 2 files....

Everywhere.search-ms

Indexed Locations.search-ms

Nothing else.

When I open these file they look like some kind of simple instructions relating to searches.

Mike

Back