Windows 7 Video card has stopped responding

KefkaMorphia

Hey everyone as the title says my video card has stopped responding. Its been working fine with windows 7 for almost a month now then one day I tried to watch a video and I started getting weird graphics all over my screen and a bsod soon followed. Everytime I restarted my computer I would get the weird graphics and bsod minutes after windows would bootup. In an attempt to fix it I did a system restore and the bsod of weird graphics stopped but now windows seems to be having a problem with my video card. It recognizes that the card is there and will even update the driver but it just own't use it so now my screen is stuck in 800x600 and I can't use anything graphics intensive. I need help badly I've tried almost everything even reformatting and the problem is still there. Also something else probably worth mentioning, whenever my computer is booting up on the motherboard screen theres a lot of weird pixels all over the screen and then the pixels come again right before windows boots up on the windows loading screen.

My graphics card is a nvidia geforce 8800 gt. If you need any other info I'll update you asap.

Hello and welcome to the windows7forums,.

Did you perform a"clean" install rather than an upgrade?

Do you have a restore point you can go back to?

Hi and thanks for the welcome. After the problem started I performed a clean install and tried restoring to an earlier point. I've also tried restoring with a system image. None of them fixed the problem unfortunately.

I've tried getting it from nvidia and also through windows update, neither of which worked. I don't understand why its been working perfectly fine with windows 7 for weeks and suddenly wants to stopped working.

Try uninstalling the driver from Programs and Features,. then reboot yo see if Windows picks up the WDDM driver.

Did you make any major modifications to your system or install any new software.

D o you have a restore point you can go back to?

ok I just tried uninstalling the driver and windows picked up the wddm one but it didn't work. I was using windows media center to watch the video. Only things I had done with the computer around that time were install the sims 3 expansion and a music producer program. For the music producer I had to change one of the registry files in order to get it to work properly but had no problems after doing so. I do have earlier restore points I could go back to that I haven't tried I've only tried the one about 4 days before the computer messed up on me. Didn't bother trying any other ones cause I assumed if reformatting the computer didn't fix the problem then restoring to an even earlier date wasn't gonna do much good either.

I also just tried doing a full system scan for viruses with norton. Took care of 2 or 3 trojan horses I had on the computer but still hasn't solved the problem.

For the music producer I had to change one of the registry files in order to get it to work properly but had no problems after doing so..

Well, I suppose you know what I am going to ask... Which registry entry did you change? Have you tried changing it back? What was not working which caused you to change the registry?

I also just tried doing a full system scan for viruses with norton. Took care of 2 or 3 trojan horses I had on the computer but still hasn't solved the problem.
:eek:

I can't really change it back. When I did the system image restore it took it back to a couple of days before I did any of that so its as if I never even changed the registry.

I have no idea how the trojans even got there lol norton is usually pretty good about catching that stuff the second they show up on the pc =\

Just to update you guys I thought I had looked everywhere online for help before posting here but I guess not. I decided to search a little harder only to find out that theres actually a lot of people having the exact same problem as me. It appears to be a problem with the video card itself (nvidia cards to be specific) and not windows 7 as I had thought. Seems the card is kinda halfway fried, windows will still acknowledge its there but can't really do much else with it so all I can really do is get a new card. I'm really sorry for bringing this to the windows 7 forums and not doing more research before wasting all of your time.

If anyone knows of any good pci express video cards could you please suggest them? I'm not looking for anything high end or overly expensive. Just a nice mid range card that gets good bang for its buck. I do quite a bit of gaming and mostly want to be able to run starcraft 2 and diablo 3 on high settings whenever those come out. I know thats not much help since the specs for those games aren't even out yet lol just trying to give you an idea of what I'm looking for.

I'm hoping to try out an ATI card this time around kinda lost some faith in nvidia after all this. Thanks so much for everyones help it really means a lot to me that you help out so much.

Back
Top Bottom