Windows 7 virtual PC on windows 7 home premium x64

BiG GrEEn BuDz

I don't know if i'm doing something wrong, or if im just overlooking something, but when i try to setup virtual PC on windows 7 home premium x64 (specifically need XP mode), microsoft's website (Download Windows XP Mode) clearly accepts 'home premium 64 bit' as an option, and gives a download link for XP mode, yet it wont install. So i decided to look at the requirements for XP mode, and it says that 'home premium' is not supported... WHY is there a download link given, when choosing my OS, if they KNOW they dont accept it? am i loosing my mind or are they just TRYING to get under my skin again, i was very apprehensive about getting windows 7 because i knew older computer games dont run correctly sometimes, i THOUGHT i found a solution, then *BAM* brickwall... can anyone help me with this? am i going to be stuck partitioning and dualbooting XP?

As you have already discovered, Microsofts Virtual PC / XP Mode requires Win7 Professional or Ultimate. Not sure why you were offered the download.
But to accomplish something similar you may want to explore either
VMware Player: Run Windows 7, Chrome OS - Free Download for a Virtual PC
or
Downloads - VirtualBox
either, in my opinion is a step up from XP Mode, as both seem to provide better support for Host attached peripherals (USB devices, etc.) than XP Mode. The only drawback is that you will need your own copy of XP to build you Virtual Machine where as XP Mode comes with that as part of the product, which makes things nice for those who don't have the media and or license.

My preference is for Vmware Player it's easy to network if you need that. Vmware Player now allows you to create the VM there now, you couldn't in older editions. I haven't used VirtualBox in a long time but it was a lot of work to network.
Joe

thanks for the replies guys, i downloaded vmware, i have a product key from xp home, professional, and media center, so i installed my windows xp professional disk, and it WONT accept my product key for it... ive checked and rechecked 20 times, im not entering it wrong, is there any other reason for this? i dont have an XP home disk, and my only XP media center CD is a gateway recovery disk from my old PC, i tried installing with it but it just BSOD'd over n over, restarting too fast for me to even attempt to read it... any ideas on what i can do? as i said, i own a product key to pro, media center edition, and home edition...

The only reason I can think of right off hand it that you are using retail media and an oem product key or vice versa. Keep us posted.

If it's an OEM key and you already used once you can't transfer it. The Gateway recovery disks won't work because they are tied to Gateway BIOS.
Joe

You should get virtual pc 2007 here Download details: Virtual PC 2007

Supported Operating Systems:Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit x86);Windows Server 2003, Standard x64 Edition;Windows Vista Business;Windows Vista Business 64-bit edition;Windows Vista Enterprise;Windows Vista Enterprise 64-bit edition;Windows Vista Ultimate;Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition;Windows XP Professional Edition;Windows XP Professional x64 Edition;Windows XP Tablet PC Edition

It's not fully compatible with Windows 7, but it works.

I myself prefer VBox and here's a good video of its 3D Virtualization. Whether playing or not, 3D adds a more natural feel:

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though it's not supported I prefer it over virtualbox and other virtual machines, because I get errors in windows 95 in virtualbox but not in virtual pc.

Even though it's not supported I prefer it over virtualbox and other virtual machines, because I get errors in windows 95 in virtualbox but not in virtual pc.

I see your good point. Following the OP, my post was in regards to Windows 7 as a host and XP as guest. ............

Back
Top Bottom