Windows 7 "Virus Scan Failed" Message

brolenas

While attempting to download an update for an existing program using Chrome, on a Win7 Toshiba i5 Sandy Bridge laptop, I received a "Virus Scan Failed" message and no update.
I've tried:
* downloading other files -- same "Virus Scan Failed" message & no files
* using IE & Firefox -- same results, except each browser uses different verbage
* totally disabling my virus program -- no dice, same message, same results
* I've reviewed any thing that could possibly block DLs in Win7's "Advanced" tab in "Internet Security" & don't see any stumbling blocks
* "Windows Attachment Manager" doesn't offer any help either

This laptop is up to date w/ all Microsoft updates and Toshiba updates.

Can anyone please tell me why Win7 has stopped all downloads, when for the previous year, I've not had any DL issues?
Thank you!

What AV are you using?
Joe

I'm using both AVG and Avast. Yes, I know Microsoft does not recommend two AVs, but this PC ran fine w/ both for a year... until two months ago. I'm also running AVG/Avast together on a Vista and XP machine, w/o any issues.

Since this "Virus Scan Failed" issue, I've tried running only AVG or Avast each by themselves and encountered the same problem. I've also disabled both AVG and Avast and the problem persists w/o any AV running.

Thanks for your response!

As you are aware, running 2 AV can seriously damage a system, which is why MS says "NOT TO". Doing so is at your own "RISK". That being said, this is what I would do.

First I would uninstall both AVG and Avast AV's. Then check your system for malware w/Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, SpyBot S&D, TDSSKiller for root kits. Remove if any is found then reboot system. Then I would check for any system files that maybe missing or corrupted by running sfc /scannow in a cmd prompt. Once this is all completed, I would just pick one AV and stick w/that, personally for windows 7 I would use MSE. If none of that works, try a system restore to a point in time before you started receiving the error message. Then uninstall one of the AV's you have.

As you are aware, running 2 AV can seriously damage a system, which is why MS says "NOT TO". Doing so is at your own "RISK". That being said, this is what I would do.

First I would uninstall both AVG and Avast AV's. Then check your system for malware w/Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, SpyBot S&D, TDSSKiller for root kits. Remove if any is found then reboot system. Then I would check for any system files that maybe missing or corrupted by running sfc /scannow in a cmd prompt. Once this is all completed, I would just pick one AV and stick w/that, personally for windows 7 I would use MSE. If none of that works, try a system restore to a point in time before you started receiving the error message. Then uninstall one of the AV's you have.

Thanks for your reply!

Windows doesn't suggest any "damage" from running two AV programs. It's multiple firewalls that can cause conflicts (mostly slow operation). I was wrong when I said Windows doesn't recommend multiple AVs, it's the multiple firewalls and that'll only cause slowdowns, not damage. Here's a screenshot of another of my PCs, a Vista machine:
Firewall & AV.JPG

As you can see below, Windows is showing both AVG and Avast running w/o any warning message:
Multiple AVs.jpg

For malware, as well as PC maintenance, I'm a paid user of Advanced SystemCare Pro, a Cnet Editor's Choice. I'm also using SlimCleaner and CCleaner on boot up.

I'm not getting any Win7 error messages, the "Virus Scan Failed" messages are coming from the browser. No corrupt Win files.

I haven't tried a rollback yet, but might have to.

This is a known issue for some Win7 PCs, in fact I came across a forum post (not here) that stated MS was interested in this problem and was looking for feedback. I was busy at the time and didn't follow up. Now I'll have to search for that info again.

I would say my computing background is 'Advanced' having begun w/ DOS 3.0 in about 1986 and I've never been confronted w/ a problem like this. I've never had to post a 'Help' request in a forum until now.

Thank you again for your help! I hope you catch a lot of them 'bucketmouths' next time out!

Having 2 AV programs has alway been considered a no no since I got involved with PSs in mid 90's. Sometimes an AV program will conflict with other security software like Spybot or MBAM. Uninstall one of the AV programs and run the cleanup tool from the AV maker.
Joe

Having 2 AV programs has alway been considered a no no since I got involved with PSs in mid 90's. Sometimes an AV program will conflict with other security software like Spybot or MBAM. Uninstall one of the AV programs and run the cleanup tool from the AV maker.
Joe

Thanks for the reply Joe, but 2 AVs are not the problem. I've been running AVG and Avast together on multiple PCs for several years.

If you read my original post, you'll see that I've disabled either one or the other AV or both and the problem still occurs... "Virus Scan Failed".

Just Google "Virus Scan Failed" and you'll see the extent of this Win7 issue from people running only one AV. Lots of good suggestions, but nothing works.

Could you post a screenshot of the actual error message? Running to AV programs can and often does cause conflicts. Not to mention AVG is a complete resource hog.

Could you post a screenshot of the actual error message? Running to AV programs can and often does cause conflicts. Not to mention AVG is a complete resource hog.

Here's a screenshot of the bottom of the Chrome screen, Mitchell:
Chrome Virus Scan Failure.jpg

For a better understanding of this problem, just Google "Virus Scan Failed" and you'll see that there are many Win7 people, only running one AV program, having this issue. Many people, in many forums, have tried to help, but still no across the board solution.

Thanks for your interest!

Attachments

• Chrome Virus Scan Failure.jpg
    Chrome Virus Scan Failure.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 758
Have you tried re-registering the DLL? Run cmd and type regsvr32 urlmon.dll

Also, as recommended by bassfisher6522 above, download and run MalwareBytes Anti-malware as this is a great program to catch things your AV suites can miss.

Last edited:

Also, as recommended by bassfisher6522 above, download and run MalwareBytes Anti-malware as this is a great program to catch things your AV suites can miss.

I had already re-registered the DLL previously, but did it again today. Also ran a MalwareBytes full scan that only produced 2 unsigned files that were part of a Win Media Player codec pack. I removed them and rebooted.

Unfortunately, downloads, via Chrome, IE or FireFox are still not getting through.

My next step will be to uninstall all AV programs and reinstall Avast, since most people in other forums w/ the same issue are running either AVG or [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Microsoft Security Essentials.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]One fellow, in another forum, typed that he had tried everything and finally just re-installed Windows. Alas and alack, I guess that shall be my fate also.

Many thanks to you, [/FONT]bassfisher6522 and all of the other kind techies for your help!

Whoopee... Hallelujah! I'm back in the download business again.

I did a thorough AVG2013 uninstall including AVG in my Start Menu, registry keys, Program Files AVG directory folder removal, etc. And voila, the downloads keep on coming!

Thinking back, this whole DL problem started when AVG required me to upgrade to their new AVG2013 engine. Now you know, in case you hear about this again.

Keep up the good work in this forum folks and thanks again!

Whoopee... Hallelujah! I'm back in the download business again.

I did a thorough AVG2013 uninstall including AVG in my Start Menu, registry keys, Program Files AVG directory folder removal, etc. And voila, the downloads keep on coming!

Thinking back, this whole DL problem started when AVG required me to upgrade to their new AVG2013 engine. Now you know, in case you hear about this again.

Keep up the good work in this forum folks and thanks again!

Here's an easier way to solve the problem (perhaps), thatI just picked up on another forum, for those of you who wish to keep running AVG:

1. Go to C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\
2. Find the file name avgoff2k.dll
3. Rename it to avgoff2k.bak
4. Restart your browser, the problem should be solved!

Glad you got it sorted. Do you notice how much faster your computer is now that you got rid of AVG? ;)

Glad you got it sorted. Do you notice how much faster your computer is now that you got rid of AVG? ;)

AVG does use a lot of resources. On boot up, AVG starts 5 protection processes (email, web, resident sheild, etc.) all these things are good and necessary, but all use quite a bit more precious resources than some other AV alternatives.

Plus, AVG, in the last couple of years has been getting kind of intrusive by including itself in browser and other functions.

Back
Top Bottom