Windows Vista Vista black screen w/cursor no safe mode screen

soupnazi

hi, need some help here.

Issue with a Dell desktop running Vista home premium

Initially the issue was coloured lines on screen. Windows would still boot and could use computer.

From searching some info I figured it was probably a graphics card issue.
Then it progressed to colored lines when booting and then black screen with cursor only after windows logo is loading.
Currently, colored lines are no longer appearing on booting but still have black screen with cursor.

I tried safe mode and and can get to boot menu but still goes to black screen even in safe mode.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi,
apologies as it seems your post was missed. Do you still need any help?

Yes, still haven't gotten it fixed.
I did stop by a place that fixes computers and asked a couple questions. From my explanations to them they think it is likely a graphics issue. This guy told me that a new graphics could could possibly fix it unless it's a mother board graphics card. If that's the case it could get expensive.

This of course would be after exhausting all other possible solutions.

Can you post the exact make and model? I'll be able to advise further with more info. It does sound like it's most probably your graphics that's failing but if you can see a logo when booting then perhaps all is not lost. Try this, press F8 when booting to get into the advanced Boot options and then choose 'Last good known configuration'.

I remember trying last known good configuration but still black screen.

I read in a forum something about there could be a VGA issue. Since I'm getting logo and loading screen but when it boots up it goes to VGA and screen goes black. Or is it the the other way around. Not sure but it kinda made sense to me when I read it. Learning in progress

Thanks for the info. I see by the chipset you have an onboard gpu. Do you also have a plug in card? It might be worth swopping over to the onboard gpu if your using a plug in gpu. You'll need to enter the bios and change the default graphics adapter.
If you don't have a plug in card then your stuck with the onboard stuff and as your system is now of some age you could well be looking at a replacement gpu or motherboard/system.
Your system webpage is here:
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/product/dimension-e521

Thanks kemical,

There is a video card, which I never use, I don't think anyway? It's a haupage media card for connecting to tv. Would that be capable of running a monitor?

How would I get to the bios screen?

Unfortunately the Hauppage card will only collect a TV/video signal and a gpu is still required. Entering the bios can be slightly different depending on the machine, usually most machines respond to the delete key being pressed whilst booting (in fact if you watch the first couple of screens when the pc first boots it normally tells you how to enter the bios.)
Another thing to try, press F8 whilst booting to enter the advanced boot options. Once in see if there is an option to boot with a 640x480 screen size. If you do get to boot into windows then remove the old gpu driver using this app:
http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html

Then re-install your gpu driver.
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

If your unsure which driver to use just use the driver utility

That's what I figured about the Hauppage card.

I did try booting with a lower resolution screen. I thought it was something besides 640x480, but anyways, all I got was a bigger cursor on a black screen.

I got into bios with F2

From what I looked at, these items were what I thought pertained to the issue:

PCI info
slot 1 VGA
slot 2 not populated
slot 3 not populated
slot 4 video (I think the Hauppage card)

and Video/
Primary video
set to default "onboard/card"

If you look at the back of the pc specifically the I/O panel you should have a monitor connection there and if you have a plug in GPU you'll have a further monitor connection located around the hardware slots area lower down.
Now which ever your already connected to un-attach and reconnect to the other output. It looks like your bios is set for either onboard or plug in card so you don't, or shouldn't, have to change anything.

The monitor is connected to the output on the lower slot area. It's the onlyconnection available. It looks like where the other output would be is covered by a black panel with a cap.

Damn... I guess to truly test if it's the gpu at fault could you remove it and try it in a friends machine? Obviously if you get the same result you know it's the card thats buggered. Test the monitor too, if possible..

I do have an old PC that might work.
I've been thinking I should try switching cards but wanted to learn more about this first.

Would it be better to try the older card in the newer PC or the newer card in the older PC? Would there an issue of the older PC, it's really old, more than 10 yrs. maybe not enough to power this graphics card? Not that it's that much but still.

Well if it's a pc that's AGP based then the PCIE card won't fit regardless of power. Try it anyway.. (the newer card in the older pc)

The other computer I have is a HP pavilion a1600n
It has integrated graphics. Can I still add a graphics card to it?

You'll need to check the motherboard and see if it has a slot ( I just checked and it does have a PCIE slot so your good to go). Remember you might have to change settings via the bios to enable the recently added card.

OK, so I tried a couple of things.

1st - I unplugged the card from my dell and plugged it back in to see what would happen.
I actually got the colored line pattern with windows logging on. Then I got a different colored line pattern on the screen when it booted with the white mouse pointer but nothing else.

2nd - I plugged the card into the HP pc and plugged my monitor into it.
I did get to the windows (xp) desktop but it had a colored line pattern and was unresposive.

Sounds like the card has had it I'm afraid. Time for a replacements of sorts..

Back