Windows Vista vista is driving me mad

shoeface

hello all

a couple of weeks ago i bought an hp laptop with vista home premium pre installed on it. so far, i have had to reinstall the factory settings 3 times and have done countless systems restores. i have used different windows OSs for the past 15 years and never have i had such a nightmare as this.

the thing is i havent even been able to use my computer to any extent to mess things up myself as all i have so far gotten around to doing is installing a few basic programs, viz zone alarms, spyware doctor, foxit reader, a motorola modem and firefox (nb all software is the current vista version). i havent even used the computer as such yet because after i close it down and reboot, vista suddenly 'forgets' eveything i've installed, viz it forgets to load zone alarms on start up, i lose my bookmarks and add-on in firefox, then windows explorer suddenly crashes etc etc etc. then it'll tell me i cant open control panel or system restore etc because i dont have adminstrator rights!!! what is wrong with this ****** machine? please help. this is driving me mad and i need this computer for work.

cheers and thanks in advance

shoeface

ps i really want to put xp on the laptop but i just get the bsod when i try to install it. i'm thinking about switching to linux...

I'll start with the obvious and ask if SP1 is installed as it does make life easier.. If you haven't (to check if SP1 is installed open the control panel, sytems and maintenance, then open 'see the name of this computer' and it should be written there) the link for the download is stickied in a thread above this one. Also check the sticky 'vista annoyances resolved as it has some good tips plus a link to the tweakguides companion for vista which is a great help..
Good luck! :)

hello kemical and thanks very much for the reply.

yep, its sp1. will check out the sticky you suggest. was up all night trying to switch off services, indexing etc and it does now seem a little better but i would still rather use 3.1 as it was far more reliable. vista is a big step backwards imho.

i have 2 laptops. one has vista ultimate on it and it has always been fine - i'm using the same software pretty much as the hp with home premium. this makes me wonder whether home premium is just rubbish and if so whether i should just upgrade to ultimate (btw this other laptop is philips freevents). wot u reckon?

does that make sense or is my brain now also 'not responding'?

cheers

shoeface

Well.... If your having more success and are happier using ultimate then go for it. I use home premium myself and for me at least it works fine.. Shame your getting so many hassles with 'home' when the ultimate install runs fine..

Strange problems. I'm running Vista home basic on laptop and premium on main desktop. Haven't had any problems so far.

I've heard that "Spy Doctor" causes crashes in many computers. These complaints are as late as August 2008. They also say it's hard to take off..... The Vista Ultimate may be a nightmare in the file extension department, I'd rather have the Home Premium. ( I think XP has to be installed first and then Vista for the two installations to work). Or am I remembering bad?

Back
Top Bottom