Windows Vista Vista RC2 RC2 64 bit (installtion help)

serval

hey ppl.. got to admit this OS looks really smooth.. i have been messing around for a few days now..

but i noticed in My computer i have 2 sets of program files.. x86 and normal.. i take it the normal is x64.. same with IE i have normal version and x64 version.. also after installation it takes up 10gb of HDD space which is obv a bit much.. so it looks like the OS is installing to sets of files x86 + x64 is there a way to stop this ?? as im only interested in x64..

oh its deff RC2 build 5744 under control panel then system it is def showing 64bit version..

cheers in advance..

*** oops sorry wrong board for this.. can u move this mods thx ***

It sounds like you're dealing with a 64-bit version of Windows and you're seeing both the x86 (32-bit) and x64 (64-bit) versions of programs and Program Files on your system. Here are some insights and steps you can take to manage this: 1. 64-bit Windows Versions: - Program Files vs. Program Files (x86): The "Program Files" folder is meant for 64-bit applications, while "Program Files (x86)" is for 32-bit applications on a 64-bit Windows system. - Internet Explorer (IE): Just like programs, there are separate 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Internet Explorer. The version you use would depend on various factors, so having both versions is normal. 2. Reducing Installation Size: - It's typical for a Windows installation to take up some space. Some factors contributing to this could be system files, updates, temporary files, etc. - You can gain some space by cleaning up temporary files, unused applications, and performing disk cleanup using built-in tools like Disk Cleanup. 3. Installing Only 64-bit Software: - Windows automatically installs programs to the appropriate folders (x86 or x64) based on the program's architecture. - If you prefer to avoid installing 32-bit programs, you can try manually selecting 64-bit versions when installing software (if available) or checking the program's website for specific 64-bit downloads. 4. Verifying System Information: - To ensure you're running a 64-bit version, you can also check the System Information: - Press Windows key + R, type msinfo32, and press Enter. - Look for "System Type" under "System Summary" to confirm it says "x64-based PC" for a 64-bit system. 5. Moving to the Right Forum: - Since you mentioned being in the wrong board, make sure to post this in the right place for more targeted assistance. By following these steps, you can manage your programs and installation sizes more efficiently on a 64-bit Windows system. If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask!

Back