Windows 7 W. XP installation error in the middle - how can I remove W7 from disk on key (USB STICK)

SEHRUM

Honorable Member
HI!

I tried to install Windows XP 2005 (from an original recovery disc) on an old Laptop (Medion MD 41300, 32 BIT) but it failed due to the fact that it didn't copy a few files (messages while installing). Now I am stuck in between (endless loop). XP tries to boot, but is messaging in between that important files are missing, then starting again from the boot beginning.

How can I possibly reinstall Windows 7 from my disk on key (USB STICK) where Windows 7 is saved as an ISO file...?!? Or other "easy" (I am not a pro) ways...?!? I tried to boot from the disk on key (USB STICK), defining that in the BIOS Boot-menu, but it doesn´work...?!?

Hope I described my problem appropriately, due to the fact that English is not my first language.

I am looking forward to potential answers and most appreciated efforts!

Last edited:
how can I remove W7 from disk on key
Are you wanting to remove the Windows 7 installer from the USB pen drive, or make it have a bootable Windows 7 installer?

How can I possibly reinstall Windows 7 from my disk on key
The ISO file cannot be bootable simply by pasting the container onto the USB pen drive. The contents have to be extracted from inside the ISO. For legacy BIOS booting, you also need to write a bootsector to the filesystem header of the partition on the USB pen drive.

Legacy BIOS boots the MBR bootsector at the exact beginning of the USB pen drive (which should already be present), and the MBR interprets partitions to load the bootsector at the beginning of the partition on the USB pen drive, which interprets filesystems to load Windows Boot Manager file. There's no way the bootsectors could load the Windows Boot Manager file from inside an ISO container. Even if that somehow weren't an issue, the installer isn't capable of extracting the installation sources from inside an ISO, only from inside an ESD or WIM container, which is originally found inside an ISO.

The easiest way to do this is to use Rufus. The USB pen drive will be erased while applying the contents to the bootable USB, so move the ISO container and all other files off the USB pen drive. Then open Rufus, click the Select button to choose the ISO file (which should be on a different disk), and choose the USB pen drive. Change the mode to MBR for BIOS (or UEFI CSM), then click the Start button in Rufus.

If you don't want to erase the USB pen drive, for legacy BIOS boot, the Windows bootsector is intended for the NTFS filesystem, so as long as the USB pen drive is already formatted NTFS, you can double-click the ISO to mount (may not work in older Windows, but does in Windows 10 and 11) and manually copy the contents onto the USB pen drive with File Explorer, then open Command Prompt as administrator and use bootsect /nt60 I: replacing I with the letter of the letter of the bootable installer partition. If the USB pen drive is formatted FAT32, it will need to be formatted.

Foremost, thanks for your long explaining effort!

I am sorry, and you are totally right (don't know how I made that mistake in the headline, probably because I had to shorten it): It should have been "W. XP installation error in the middle - how can I remove XP with W7 from disk on key (USB STICK)" so > "make it have a bootable Windows 7 installer?" is right!!!

"...The ISO file cannot be bootable simply by pasting the container onto the USB pen drive..." Meanwhile, I understood (?!?) that and extracted the ISO-file ("container" as you named it) with 7-zip (?!?) to the stick, but it still didn't work. I hope (?!?) that I comprehend it right (I am not a pro + English is not my first language) that you actually explain that in your second paragraph section (2."Legacy BIOS boots the MBR bootsector ..... found inside an ISO.") But reading your third paragraph, section (3."The easiest ..... in Rufus.") I can see that you are talking about a different way, due to the fact that you still point to the complete ISO container, mentioning a second stick (I have only one). Does that mean that my extracting way with 7-zip is wrong or isn´t it partly equivalent to your way, you are offering in the fourth paragraph, section ? All the described steps I obviously do on a different computer?!? Confusing!

Finally, in your fourth paragraph, section (4. "If you don't want to erase....to be formatted.") you offer another (preferable) way, where I obviously have to format the stick to NTFS (how?, I will google that)...

Furthermore, I understood (?!?) that my boot order is not as it should (USB STICK first, but how can I change that in BIOS, see picture "2b.jpg")

Attachments

• 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    728.7 KB · Views: 71
  • ee.JPG
    ee.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    874.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 74
"...The ISO file cannot be bootable simply by pasting the container onto the USB pen drive..." Meanwhile, I understood (?!?) that and extracted the ISO-file ("container" as you named it) with 7-zip (?!?) to the stick, but it still didn't work. I hope (?!?) that I comprehend it right (I am not a pro + English is not my first language) that you actually explain that in your second paragraph section (2."Legacy BIOS boots the MBR bootsector ..... found inside an ISO.")
Rufus and manual extraction only transfer the file contents inside the ISO. The MBR is either already there and ready, or needs to be created separately. The MBR could already be there, it could be the Volume Boot Record that isn't.

Are you able to just erase the USB pen drive? If so, the simple standard of using Rufus can be done, instead of this highly complicated technical method to avoid erasing it.

If you don't want to erase the USB pen drive, you can do this if it's NTFS.
If the partition is FAT32, this won't work.
Open Command Prompt as administrator
bootsect /nt60 I:
bootsect /mbr I:
Replace I with the letter of the USB pen drive partition.

But reading your third paragraph, section (3."The easiest ..... in Rufus.") I can see that you are talking about a different way, due to the fact that you still point to the complete ISO container, mentioning a second stick (I have only one).
The Rufus method intakes a complete ISO container because Rufus is what extracts the contents inside after formatting the USB pen drive. As Rufus erases the pen drive, the ISO file has to be stored elsewhere while using Rufus. That doesn't need to be a USB pen drive, it can be the internal HDD or anywhere but the USB pen drive chosen as the destination in Rufus.

Does that mean that my extracting way with 7-zip is wrong or isn´t it partly equivalent to your way, you are offering in the fourth paragraph, section ? All the described steps I obviously do on a different computer?!? Confusing!
Extracting the ISO contents isn't wrong. Just that if you extract the contents manually, you also have to write the bootsectors manually. This is the part that needs to be done as well: "then open Command Prompt as administrator and use bootsect /nt60 I: replacing I with the letter of the letter of the bootable installer partition" as instructed after the first quote in this message.

Finally, in your fourth paragraph, section (4. "If you don't want to erase....to be formatted.") you offer another (preferable) way, where I obviously have to format the stick to NTFS (how?, I will google that)...
Yes that's only an option if the USB pen drive is already formatted NTFS. If it's formatted FAT32, which is most likely, you'll need to erase it to format NTFS. If you want to erase the pen drive, you could format it NTFS in File Explorer, but if you're not saving the existing data anyway, just use Rufus.

Furthermore, I understood (?!?) that my boot order is not as it should (USB STICK first, but how can I change that in BIOS, see picture "2b.jpg")
From the boot priority menu in the BIOS configuration, use arrow keys to highlight the SanDisk Cruzer Blade, then press F6 to mode it to the highest position, and then press F10 to Save and Exit. From the single time boot choice menu, highlight Removable Devices and press Enter, then the SanDisk Cruzer Blade may appear under that.

For you everything as a probably long time field of activity, everything must be clear or even trivial. I am far from that kind of understanding.

To start from behind: I now finally understand how to change the order of devices in BIOS (didn´t make the connection between "Change Values" and it's place of a device in the boot order stack; not too obvious to me even not too many commands in BIOS; to you, I must be stupid *;O)) So after changing that, I saw the difference, even no really success. The computer didn't boot at all (just a blinking cursor) showing me that the computer tries to boot from the stick, but this probably means what you tried to explain to me how to prepare the stick in terms of booting correctly... A big step for me, a little one for mankind...

I tell you that all precisely not because I think that my thinking are too interesting to you - I don't know how patience you will be - but in case you are still for a while, that you know what I seemingly "know" now, avoiding that you "have" to write more than you already do...

1. "...Rufus and manual extraction only transfer..." That means that I have to do both or both steps do the same...?!?

2. I don´t really know what "MBR" is, so I read/translated it >>>
"The Master Boot Record contains a boot program for BIOS-based computers (IBM PC-compatible computers) and a partition table. It is located in the first sector of a storage medium that can be divided into partitions, such as a hard disk." Don´t know if and how it helps, but so far ok.

3. "...The MBR is either already there (where?) and ready, or needs to be created separately (how?). The MBR could already be there, it could be the Volume Boot Record that isn't (?)..."

4. "Are you able to just erase the USB pen drive? If so, the simple standard of using Rufus can be done, instead of this highly complicated technical method to avoid erasing it." Ok I need your help, so I go (try) the way you recommend! So far I will avoid now questions towards the the "complicated technical method". Just don´t get what (why) is meant by "...just erase the USB pen drive...". Erasing is a simple thing, isn´t it?!? So that the pen drive is empty before the recommended procedure?!?

5."The Rufus method intakes a complete ISO container because Rufus is what extracts the contents inside after formatting the USB pen drive. As Rufus erases the pen drive, the ISO file has to be stored elsewhere while using Rufus. That doesn't need to be a USB pen drive, it can be the internal HDD or anywhere but the USB pen drive chosen as the destination in Rufus." Relating to 4. I hereby understand that "Rufus" is actually erasing and formatting (from what to what?) the USB pen drive...Asking me if I am able to erase the USB pen drive, just means/making sure that I have another save place for the ISO-file or a checking aspect if Rufus is doing it right or erasing is just another expression for formatting it to NTFS which Rufus does....?!? Is the pen drive afterwards useable in a normal way, or is it necessary/possible to format it back to FAT32? I am just using the general definitions of words without really knoWing what I am talking about...

6. "Extracting the ISO contents isn't wrong. Just that if you extract the contents manually, you also have to write the bootsectors manually. This is the part that needs to be done as well: "then open Command Prompt as administrator and use bootsect /nt60 I: replacing I with the letter of the letter of the bootable installer partition" as instructed after the first quote in this message..." So this ("...Extracting...") is not necessary when I do it the 4. > "Rufus-way"...?!?

7. I hope I will be able to try it soon... Meanwhile I hope to download Rufus is no problem for antivirus... *;O) Thanks.

1. "...Rufus and manual extraction only transfer..." That means that I have to do both or both steps do the same...?!?
Both Rufus and manual method (extraction + bootsect) are the same in that only file contents inside the ISO are used. Rufus writes the bootsectors automatically, but doesn't source them from the ISO, so both methods only use the file contents of the ISO. This was in response to the earlier comment about the MBR being sourced inside the ISO. It can be disregarded now.

3. "...The MBR is either already there (where?) and ready, or needs to be created separately (how?). The MBR could already be there, it could be the Volume Boot Record that isn't (?)..."
The MBR is located at the exact beginning of the USB pen drive disk, before the space where partitions occupy. Since only a small cursor appears when booting the USB pen drive, the MBR probably does needs to be written. That is done by opening Command Prompt as administrator and using bootsect /mbr USB: replacing USB with the single letter of the pen drive. You probably also need a volume boot record (which is at the beginning of the partition with the ISO contents), so open Command Prompt as administrator and using bootsect /nt60 USB: replacing USB with the single letter of the pen drive partition.

4. "Are you able to just erase the USB pen drive? If so, the simple standard of using Rufus can be done, instead of this highly complicated technical method to avoid erasing it." Ok I need your help, so I go (try) the way you recommend! So far I will avoid now questions towards the the "complicated technical method". Just don´t get what (why) is meant by "...just erase the USB pen drive...". Erasing is a simple thing, isn´t it?!? So that the pen drive is empty before the recommended procedure?!?
Erasing means all files on the USB pen drive will be destroyed. I ended up sending you down this long runaround path because I had the impression that you had the ISO container file placed on the USB pen drive because you didn't want to erase it, but that was a stupid assumption that made no sense, like all the stupid things I do.

5."The Rufus method intakes a complete ISO container because Rufus is what extracts the contents inside after formatting the USB pen drive. As Rufus erases the pen drive, the ISO file has to be stored elsewhere while using Rufus. That doesn't need to be a USB pen drive, it can be the internal HDD or anywhere but the USB pen drive chosen as the destination in Rufus." Relating to 4. I hereby understand that "Rufus" is actually erasing and formatting (from what to what?) the USB pen drive...Asking me if I am able to erase the USB pen drive, just means/making sure that I have another save place for the ISO-file or a checking aspect if Rufus is doing it right or erasing is just another expression for formatting it to NTFS which Rufus does....?!?
Rufus erases all partitions away from the USB pen drive, creates a new partition, imports the ISO file contents, and writes the bootsectors. You don't need to check if it functions properly. If using Rufus, you will need to move the ISO file and any other files off the USB pen drive to an HDD.

Is the pen drive afterwards useable in a normal way, or is it necessary/possible to format it back to FAT32? I am just using the general definitions of words without really knoWing what I am talking about...
After using Rufus to create a bootable Windows installer, the USB pen drive can always be returned to normal by running Rufus in Non-Bootable mode, which is one of many methods to clear all partitions from the USB pen drive.

6. "Extracting the ISO contents isn't wrong. Just that if you extract the contents manually, you also have to write the bootsectors manually. This is the part that needs to be done as well: "then open Command Prompt as administrator and use bootsect /nt60 I: replacing I with the letter of the letter of the bootable installer partition" as instructed after the first quote in this message..." So this ("...Extracting...") is not necessary when I do it the 4. > "Rufus-way"...?!?
Extracting and writing bootsectors is all done by Rufus so nothing else needs to be done after moving the data off the USB pen drive before using Rufus. That paragraph is writing bootsectors, not extracting, and neither are necessary with Rufus.

It's not supposed to be this complicated, but I made it this way. Sorry for the unnecessary runaround. Rufus would have been much easier, but since I was stupid and sent you down an unnecessarily difficult way, you're almost done, just do this, and then restart into USB. Open Command Prompt as administrator and use these
bootsect /mbr USB: replace USB with letter of pen drive partition
bootsect /nt60 USB: replace USB with letter of pen drive partition

FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL (FOR ME): I used "your" rufus-software before I even did get your last message intuitively (is really a simple window) and it worked straight ahead!!! For you, it is probably routine, not so for me and after a few days of trying lots of failing procedures it was a big surprise and a relief I didn't believe any more I could achieve: Thanks a lot!!!

So my following statements have no real value, but intellectual curiosity after trying hard for days to understand the process, which normally I avoid?!?

to 3.
So I didn't do anything you wrote here. I would have had problems anyway to understand where to do these steps, while the old computer I was talking about still didn´t had an operating system: So it must have been meant another working computer to prepare the pen disk. So I am still wondering why everything worked at the end related to your mentioned Command Prompts...?!?

to 4.
First I indeed had the ISO container file placed on the USB pen drive, but as I said before I decided to go your suggested way as you are helping me! Your time, your energy, your effort I had to respect! "...but that was a stupid assumption that made no sense, like all the stupid things I do..." Are you kidding me?!? This was the most patient, most comprehensive help post I have ever received. In addition, I have either received no reaction at all in two other forums or, for a layman like me, short half sentences that were divided into incomprehensible portions (as if I am a pro not needing explanations), in which someone simply wanted to show how "clever" he is without really helping. My point of view. Or they asked me questions about the usefulness of restoring such an old computer without even trying to answer my question, or other relatively irrelevant, personal, non-technical questions, giving useless advices without knowing me, ignoring my main questions. Thank you again!

to 5.
Must have worked as you predicted!

to 6.
Wasn't necessary because I did let Rufus do the job...

I hope you allow me to ask 2 further questions?!? If not, it is fine, because you did much more than I could ask for!
A. The sound doesn't work now on W7 (this problem I had even before trying to install XP):
Is there any other way besides the manufacturer's website to solve such a problem. The drivers there doesn't help...

B. I am not sure if I ever used the internet on that computer. I am not even sure it even works... On my W10 computer, I use my handy as an USB-Tethering to join the internet.

I would like to change the overall operating language system from English to another language (Language Packs, W7 SP1 ?!?).
I tried Download Language Packs for Windows-7, but it doesn't work. It is not even downloadable?!?

The microsoft site tells me that: "The Windows 7 language packs can only be installed from the Optional Updates section of Windows Update"

On Windows 7 SP1 Language Packs Direct Download Links - Astuces informatiques I did find a direct download to my wanted language exe.file. I just would like to know if I just can install/update this language pack with the exe.file and with an external hard disk onto the now fixed W7. I don´t want to "destroy" W7 again...

Back