Windows Vista Wallpaper Won't Appear

Elzarynn

My desktop wallpaper disappeared mysteriously some time ago. I haven't done anything about it for a long time, assuming the problem would fix itself, then eventually not caring, but now I've begun to develop some desktop art of my own, and it's starting to become annoying.

I right-click on an image and choose "Set as Desktop Background" or go to Start>Settings>Control Panel>Personalization and select a new Desktop Background from there. But while I'm using the computer, the only thing I see is a solid color. I can change the color, but it won't display an image. I've tried it with bmp., .jpg, .gif, and .png, with pictures of all sizes and resolutions, with tile, center, and stretch. The only thing that appears is the background color. When I shut down my computer and all the icons disappear, I get a glimpse of the background image just before it goes to the Shut-Down screen. Likewise when I boot up the computer, just before the desktop icons appear. And yes, I have tried de-selecting "Show Desktop Icons." I've tried just changing whole themes, but I still don't get an image, even the default Vista wallpaper.

Sorry, I'm an idiot and don't know what that means. Tell me specifically what you want to know, and I'll try to find out.

sorry I should have been more specific.

Please list the name/make of the computer/laptop your using as know ing your graphical capabilities will help.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1501. I've added some RAM, but other than that' it's pretty much how it arrived from the factory.

I'm pretty sure its integrated graphics on this Dell model. Depending on what RAM was added it might not be enough to display anything other than solid colours.
It could also be a damaged or corrupt file. Try Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories and right-click
on the Command Prompt and choose "Run as administrator".
Type in: SFC /SCANNOW and press your Enter key.
This should repair/replace any missing or corrupt files.

Thanks, Superbill. When I right-click on Accessories, all I get is this:
WallpaperWontAppear1.jpg

I will look into that integrated graphics thing.

What I meant was, when you left click " accessories" you should get a further menu with the "command prompt" listed. Right click on this icon and then select "run as administrator". When the "Administrator Command Prompt" opens type in SFC /SCANNOW ( there is a space between the C and /) Hit enter and see what results appear.

Hi Elzarynn, sorry I didn't get back to you.

If you right-click on the desktop and choose 'personalise'. If fact the same place you change your wallpaper and look for Advanced Settings or Themes. If you check my screenshot your looking for a box which looks similar to the one on the left hand-side. (the one you'll be looking for will be slightly different as i'm running win7) If you find it, see what the setting is... It may be at the setting of 'Basic'. See if you have an 'Aero' setting which will give you the aero desktop and wallpapers.

Thanks, Superbill. When I ran the scan it said "found some damaged files but was unable to fix some."

Kemical, I've used Advanced Appearance many times, both before and after this problem occurred, but it has never made a difference. Here's what my screen looks like. Maybe you can tell me if I'm missing something. I've tried all of the settings I have. I've never had an "Aero" setting, I don't think.

Oh, and my graphics card is an ATI Radeon Xpress 1150, in case that matters. I've just finished downloading the latest drivers, but there's still no change.

Thanks for all your suggestions so far. I will keep trying. I hope you guys can still think of something, because I'm a total newb here.
WallpaperWontAppear2.jpg

Well your graphics card is capable enough. I'm wondering if your running in something other than '32bit true colour' (see screenshot)

Well, mine says 32 bit (Highest) instead of (True), but other than that it's exactly the same. I've tried switching back and forth from 32 to 16 before, but it didn't do any good.

I've tried to find anything through google without much success.. Personally I would have just reformatted by now but perhaps this isn't an option?

I don't remember if I've tried that already or not. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for all your suggestions; I didn't think I'd get this much help.

Back