Windows 10 Watchdog crash and no screen/PC unusable but on

eXtremeDevil

Honorable Member
Hi, the last week I'm been suffering freezes and reboots. I had one or two BSOD but that doesn't seem to be the main problem, and I have no dumps of them.

I have recently changed from a HDD to a SSD, I have applied a theme on my Windows 10, and I have updated to Fall Creators update. I cloned the HDD block by block to the new SSD, so no installation or anything was performed, just a plain old replacement.

I don't know where the problem may be but I'm getting a little worried now.

I'm also using nVidia 3D vision for the first time.

Also, I've put my old HDD as B:\ drive, and I guess it's not related but, sometimes when I boot my pc Windows Firewall asks me to allow a program I gave access before, only now the path to the binary looks like B:0\blah instead of C:\blah.

I attach the watchdog dump.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• WATCHDOG-20180207-2102.zip
    28.1 KB · Views: 234
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 187, {1, 0, 0, 0}

Probably caused by : dxgkrnl.sys ( dxgkrnl!DxgCreateLiveDumpWithWdLogs+38 )

Followup:     MachineOwner
---------

7: kd> !analyze -v

VIDEO_DWMINIT_TIMEOUT_FALLBACK_BDD (187)
Video fell back to BDD rather than using the IHV driver. This always generates a live dump.
(This code can never be used for a real bugcheck.)
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000001, Reason Code.
    1 DWM failed to initialize after retries, stopping display adapters and falling back to BDD.
Arg2: 0000000000000000, Reserved.
Arg3: 0000000000000000, Reserved.
Arg4: 0000000000000000, Reserved.
Hi,
it looks like from the above that your Window manager ( DWM) is failing to start up. I assume this is from the theme you have applied?

As your install is from an image see if your system files are ok by running these scans:

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Personally I would pop along to here: Download Windows 10 and download the iso for the creators update. You can create either a disk or usb install using the media creation tool.

Perform a clean install onto the SSD followed by your drivers. Remember when asked for activation key to click 'I don't have one' as it's stored online and windows will activate automatically once back online.

Now you have a new fresh install your theme will hopefully run without a hitch.

I want to avoid reinstalling my whole system as that would took months for me. I will revert patched dlls for the theme and will post back in a few days.

The sfc scan only shows as corrupted the patched dll required for the theme.

Thanks for the support :)

Seems like there's been no crash so I guess the problem was the patched dlls. Let's keep this post here in case it happens again, but for now let's think about it as solved.

Thanks all!

Excellent news!

As a rule we never close threads anyway Extreme so you can always pop back if need be.

All the best!

So I tried custom themes again. This time only two dlls were patched (last time there were more because I did more things and maybe that's where the problem was) and the PC was OK until today. Apparently I had an BSOD (although screen was black). At first sight it seems unrelated but here's the dump so you people can tell me what you think or if it may be related.

Also, a lot of people use those themes, so they shouldn't be a problem, right?

Attachments

• 022018-22484-01.dmp
    348.2 KB · Views: 434
Code:

BugCheck D1, {ffffd5803151b000, 2, 0, fffff80049022ddd}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for bwcW10x64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for bwcW10x64.sys
Probably caused by : bwcW10x64.sys ( bwcW10x64+e114 )

Hi,
this bugcheck means a driver tried to access pageable memory.

The above probable cause relates to the Killer Network driver and i checked your version which is looking a tad old:

bwcW10x64.sys Thu Sep 15 17:22:54 2016: Killer Bandwidth Control Filter Driver

I use this driver myself. At one time it was best to disable AV suites when both uninstalling and installing this driver not to mention running the driver as admin too. I think this is no longer necessary but i still do it anyway out of habit. If it gives you any problems then try my method.
Killer Wireless | Killer Networking | Killer Ethernet Driver

I'm afraid I just suffered another, it is attached :S

Although they doesn't seem like the crashes I had before.

Attachments

• 022018-18781-01.dmp
    687.4 KB · Views: 447
Code:

BugCheck 1, {7ffaee8f00b4, 0, ffff, fffff60a61a06b80}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiSystemServiceExitPico+1f2 )

Usually caused by mismatched drivers.

The process running at the time of crash:
Code:
PROCESS_NAME:  nvcontainer.exe

This relates to Nvidia. If you recently updated the driver, try removing it again but this time uninstall using the DDU or display driver uninstaller (which should be run in safe mode)
Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V17.0.8.3 Released. - Wagnardsoft Forum

I noticed the killer driver wasn't updated?

I have not updated my eth driver nor the graphic one, yet. I usually keep them up to date and right now, according to nVidia (graphic) and my motherboard's site (eth) there are no updates. If the BSOD continues I will take a look to new drivers, but for now, if it doesn't happen again, I don't feel like I have anything to fix. But thanks for the information.

I'll keep you inform.

I had another BSOD relating network driver so I updated it. No more BSODs by now. Then I had a crash like the first ones, probably caused by the theme again. Now I'm starting to suspect that the problem are not the patched dlls but the theme itself. Now I'm testing with the patch applied and no theme.

Let's see how it goes. Thanks for all the support.

Thanks for the update eXtreme.
I used to run something called windows Vista transformation kit and basically it made XP look like Vista. I always found that it had broke something though, like a certain app wouldn't open or similar.
In the end I just stopped using them to save on the headaches lol..

After the last few days, I've been working with my PC with the dll's patched and there has been no problems. So it seems the problem is on the theme itself. I've been chatting with the developer of the theme and he says that it may be an issue with my GPU and the theme, and he recommended me to update the drivers, which are, of course, updated (there was an update 2 or 3 days ago, and I always perform a clean install). My GPU is nVidia 970 GTX, and the developer has a 1050 GTX. I have not activated the theme since the last failure, so I don't know if the error is gone. I will probably use it again this weekend.

Let's see how that goes hehe.

I know you said clean install but have you tried using the DDU or Display Driver Uninstaller?

Make sure you download the GPU driver first.

You have to boot into safe mode to use the DDU properly (I also pull my network cable so windows update doesn't automatically start downloading a driver, hence my tip on downloading the driver first)

You simply right click on the DDU (whilst in safe mode) and click run as admin.

You'll want the very top setting which cleans then reboots. This does a great job and removes any corruption left behind by previous installs.
I use it every time.. :)

Back