Windows 10 "We couldn't complete the updates..."

jmbtexas4

Hello WF,

I upgraded to Windows 10 on several computers with no issues.

However, on one of my Dell laptops, after installing W10 regular updates, I get the following below message after restart. The computer undoes the changes and then boots to my desktop.

This happens on every restart.

Any suggestion on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Jeff

updates3.jpg

Hi Jeff,
you may be upgrading to later version of Windows 10. Do you have any anti virus apps running other than Defender? If so turn them off and try again.

Hi Kemical,

This is a computer from my last company that went out of business. It had Eset installed, but I uninstalled it after the subscription ran out, and I am only using Defender now. Thanks!

Hi Maybe a in-place-repair- install??
If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you could use push-button reset to refresh or reset Windows.

Refresh your PC Fixes software problems by reinstalling the OS while preserving the user data, user accounts, and important settings. All other preinstalled customizations are restored to their factory state. In Windows 10, this feature no longer preserves user-acquired Windows apps.

Reset your PC prepares the PC for recycling or for transfer of ownership by reinstalling the OS, removing all user accounts and contents (e.g. data, Classic Windows applications, and Universal Windows apps), and restoring preinstalled customizations to their factory state.

The options above are great for what they are intended for, but you could also do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything other than all installed Windows Updates.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

This tutorial will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do a repair install of Windows 10.

Hi! IMHO The Repair install W10 in-place upgrade is the best new feature that MS has ever come up with. Can't believe it took MS this long to figure that out!:D:up:

Can you zip and upload the WindowsUpdate.log. C:\Windows\WindowsUpdate.log

If the file is huge, delete it, attempt to upgrade then after it fails upload the log.

Yes, it seems they changed how to find the update log in W10, but I got it.

Please see attached update log.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Windows Update Log 5-26.zip
    10.4 KB · Views: 483
Hi! Texas! Wound you mind explaining how you found the up date log files and posted them here, while you're waiting for a reply.
It would help others and I can't seem to get my log with the link I posted above.
Thanks!

Hi Texas! Yes I can, but they don't mean much to me. I just know P2P doesn't show up in my update logs.
@Neemobeer was the one that requested the logs!

Last edited:
Hi Texas! Have you thought about running some malware scanners? I'm just thinking out load until other members reply!
I think I would run.
Malwarebytes
Adwcleaner
ESET on line scanner!

If you only have the one Windows 10 computer, then the P2P failures are normal. Windows 10 will try and get updates from other Windows 10 computers either over the internet or from your local network. I typically disable this.
The GetUserTickets failed with error 80240018 this means there is something malformed with the update command.

Was this computer just upgraded or a clean install done and is this joined to a domain?

I upgraded from existing Windows 7 configuration. I did not do a clean install.

I just ran the Windows Update repair tool, but the problem was not resolved.

Thanks

Back