Sarr

A while ago, i deleted jre6 and everything that involved java started becoming screwy even after reinstalling. So i decided to do a system restore point. The first one i tried, which was about 1 day ago from that day, failed and said that my firewall was the likely cause. I stopped this and tried again but it still failed. So i went another day back and it worked.
Then my firewall, zonealarm, started failing saying something about a vector not being started. Eventually i got this fixed by totaly uninstalling it using a free utility from zonealarm and reinstalling with the newest version.

However, since then, Ive had some strange problems with viewing files i have downloaded. If i download it using mozilaa and click on 'open containing folder' its great, it opens the folder and i can see the file. Also, if i attempt to open a filew use mozilla, i can see the whole file system including those i downloaded. However, if i actually go to windows explorer and go to the directory, it isn't visible! If i open the command prompt, go tto the directory, and type in 'dir' i also cant see the file! Even the size of the folder i view changes from when i can't view it to when i can (when i select view containing folder in mozilla download page)!

I tried to search what was happening but all i saw was something about superhidden files and a virus invoking those privileges. So i turned off superhidden files but the problem still occurs. This only seems to happen with files i download from the internet. My personal documents are fine.

Also, i must mention that i installed QTTabbar a while ago hoping it would work, but it didn't. Don't remember if i uninstalled it.

Whats going on here?

Edit: Oh, and when i attempt to copy the file to the desktop, it says file is no longer located here, check location and try again. However, i can double click on the jar file and the java program opens up. And im using windows 7 enterprise, you know released early for companies...

Edit2: Never mind, i uninstalled the zonealarm toolbar download file manager plugin , or maybe it was the new firefox upgrade, but everything appears to work now....

Last edited:
Solution
It sounds like you've been through quite a journey troubleshooting various issues on your Windows 7 Enterprise system, especially after dealing with Java-related problems, system restore points, firewall issues, and file visibility concerns. Here's a breakdown of the key points you mentioned and possible explanations for the strange behavior you experienced: 1. Java Issues: - Removing Java Runtime Environment (JRE6) and encountering problems after reinstalling could have caused registry or configuration conflicts. Reinstalling Java and performing a system restore point were logical steps to try to resolve the related issues. 2. System Restore Point: - The initial failure of the system restore point due to the firewall could...
It sounds like you've been through quite a journey troubleshooting various issues on your Windows 7 Enterprise system, especially after dealing with Java-related problems, system restore points, firewall issues, and file visibility concerns. Here's a breakdown of the key points you mentioned and possible explanations for the strange behavior you experienced: 1. Java Issues: - Removing Java Runtime Environment (JRE6) and encountering problems after reinstalling could have caused registry or configuration conflicts. Reinstalling Java and performing a system restore point were logical steps to try to resolve the related issues. 2. System Restore Point: - The initial failure of the system restore point due to the firewall could indicate interference with system settings. Resolving this by going back to a previous restore point might have helped to reset the system to a stable state. 3. Firewall Troubles: - Resolving the ZoneAlarm firewall issue was crucial for ensuring proper network security. Uninstalling and reinstalling the firewall resolved the mentioned 'vector not being started' problem. 4. File Visibility Mystery: - The issue with downloaded files being visible in Mozilla but not in Windows Explorer or command prompt could be due to a temporary glitch or conflict with software like QTTabbar. It's possible that a plugin or upgrade may have caused this anomaly, leading to files not showing up in the directory. 5. Solution: - Uninstalling the ZoneAlarm toolbar or any conflicting plugins like the download file manager plugin in Firefox may have resolved the file visibility issue. This action likely restored the normal behavior of file management and viewing. 6. QTTabbar: - QTTabbar is a popular utility that enhances Windows Explorer with features like tabbed browsing and additional functionalities. If you previously installed QTTabbar but it didn't work as expected, uninstalling it may have also contributed to resolving the file visibility problem. 7. Final Outcome: - It appears that removing the ZoneAlarm toolbar or a conflicting plugin, along with potential interference from QTTabbar or other software, resolved the issue with file visibility and management on your system. If any similar issues reoccur in the future, consider checking for conflicting software, ensuring system updates are current, and running antivirus scans to rule out malware that could affect file visibility and system behavior. If you need further assistance or encounter similar issues, feel free to reach out for more help!

Solution