Windows 7 What security suite are you using?

whiwo

I'm about install Windows 7 later this evening and was wondering which internet security suite or anti-virus everyone is using. Currently, I am running Windows Vista 64bit with Windows Live OneCare which is not supported. Frankly, it's worked flawlessly and I'm looking forward to the freebie that's supposed to come out later this summer. In the meantime, I'm leaning towards Avira for anti-virus protection and just using the buit-in Windows firewall.

Any other suggestions?

I have also been using AVG Free Edition (I know it's not the best AV prog out there but it's free, fast and seems to do a half decent job for a free one.. ;) I've had no problems at all with it.. NOD32 is definitely the best though and also works very well with Windows 7, it however, is not free.. :)

I have also been using AVG Free Edition (I know it's not the best AV prog out there but it's free, fast and seems to do a half decent job for a free one.. ;) I've had no problems at all with it.. NOD32 is definitely the best though and also works very well with Windows 7, it however, is not free.. :)
Hmm I was looking at some test results and I think Nod32 Avast and AVG are all about the same, and Avira is a little bit ahead. But eh could be crappy test results. XD

Avast! Antivirus Home Edition for 64-bit

I am using the FREE version of Avast! Antivirus Home Edition with Windows 7100/64bit. No problems at all. Below is info from their website on the 64 bit end.

Support for 64-bit Windows
avast! Home/Professional now fully supports the 64-bit Windows platform. ALWIL Software is anticipating massive take-up of this platform, as Windows XP 64-Bit Edition will support up to 32 GB of RAM and 16 TB of virtual memory, enabling applications to run faster when working with large data sets.

I've been running Eset products for 4 years now. I love Eset Smart Security v4. I haven't had any malware in all that time. Of course I also run Firefox with NoScript.

For freebies i think Avast, AVG, Avira, PC Tools AntiVirus(32bit only)...

If you're willing to pay i hear Nod32 has good feedback, and i personally use BitDefender Internet Security 2009 which works as well.

This list got me started, and heres a little microsoft info...

Avast Home Edition works, and it's free for personal, non-commercial use. I had no problems dealing with it, and it ran rather seamlessly in builds 7000 and 7100.

I am currently using Norton Anti Virus 2009 without any problems however i am suspected it is slightly slowing down my 64-bit system on bootup, other than that everything seems ok :)

I am currently using Norton Anti Virus 2009 without any problems however i am suspected it is slightly slowing down my 64-bit system on bootup, other than that everything seems ok :)

You are more then likely right.. ;) I haven't used ANY Norton products in about a decade now simply because I ALWAYS had problems with them and I often thought it made my system slow down on boot up as well.. :) They might be better products now but I'm still not going to use them.. :rolleyes:

I had been running a paid version of AVG 7.5 but they suspended support on April 30, no more definition updates.
I can use AVG 8.5 (they provided me with a new license key) but it is a resource hog in Win 7 so I've been avoiding using
it in Win 7. Well AVG forced my hand ( I only had a few months left on my 2 year subscription) and I'm now using Avast! Pro (paid).
Avast does the job with much less impact on my system
than AVG 8.5.

Awhile ago Lavasoft Adaware pulled the same stunt with their Adaware SE product (quitting support) and offering Adaware Anniversary Edition as a replacement. I had paid for a license several years ago and was very happy with their product. The new Adaware (paid version) has a activation feature (hardware profile generated during install) similar to the activation scheme introduced with XP.
This would have prevented it's use (except as the downgraded free product) on my XP install (on the same HDD).
Installing and activating the paid product apparently generates a unique hardware profile key that isn't usable on other windows installs even on the same drive. The free version works just as well.

I have Windows firewall and defender turned off depending on my NAT router for firewall duties and Spybot S&D's
resident protection and Spywareblaster's host file protection to guard against spyware etc.

I use Firefox and an Add-on called WOT (Web Of Trust) to warn me of unsafe sites while surfing.

There is a IE version.

Finally I use common sense.

I had been running a paid version of AVG 7.5 but they suspended support on April 30, no more definition updates.
I can use AVG 8.5 (they provided me with a new license key) but it is a resource hog in Win 7 so I've been avoiding using
it in Win 7. Well AVG forced my hand ( I only had a few months left on my 2 year subscription) and I'm now using Avast! Pro (paid).
Avast does the job with much less impact on my system
than AVG 8.5.

Awhile ago Lavasoft Adaware pulled the same stunt with their Adaware SE product (quitting support) and offering Adaware Anniversary Edition as a replacement. I had paid for a license several years ago and was very happy with their product. The new Adaware (paid version) has a activation feature (hardware profile generated during install) similar to the activation scheme introduced with XP.
This would have prevented it's use (except as the downgraded free product) on my XP install (on the same HDD).
Installing and activating the paid product apparently generates a unique hardware profile key that isn't usable on other windows installs even on the same drive. The free version works just as well.

I have Windows firewall and defender turned off depending on my NAT router for firewall duties and Spybot S&D's
resident protection and Spywareblaster's host file protection to guard against spyware etc.

I use Firefox and an Add-on called WOT (Web Of Trust) to warn me of unsafe sites while surfing.

There is a IE version.

Finally I use common sense.

I completely agree with you on both points.. the AVG and Adaware products.. ;) I haven't used a paid version of AVG but I did notice the major difference in use of system resources between versions 7.5 and 8.5 (Free Editions).. It's rediculious.. Not to mention I also noticed the overall performance of AVG has been slipping over the past couple years.. Like anything that starts out good, the company gets greedy and the product suffers as a result.. ;) I now use one of the following and have had very few issues with any of them in Windows 7.. Avast/Kaspersky/NOD32 :)

Adaware.. now that just pissed me off when Lavasoft brought out the "Annivesary Edition".. They should have called it "Sh!t Edition" because that's exactly what it is.. It's like they looked at Adaware SE Personal Edition and said. "now how can we make this into a super sh!tty product and still charge people for it.." ;) Well they succeeded in making it one of the worst apps I've ever used..

I now use Sbybot Search and Destroy and Malware Bytes alongside of one the above mentioned AV programs and those seem to get the job done quite well..

ESET Smart Security

free AV sucks.

How does a free AV suck? You should rely less on an Anti-Virus and more on what you download. Best way to be secure, unplug yourself from the internet. Chances are if you do get a virus, the first thing it will do is disable all your anti-virus software and all of your security anyways. Purchase a hardware firewall such as a router and stay away from kickasssong.mp3.exe

Kaspersky for antivirus and Comodo for my firewall, now that there is a working version for Windows 7, and its free. Rock solid. Was using Windows firewall before.
Im not really a big fan of these all in one packages, they usually are really good at one and ok at another.

I'm using PCTools Internet Security Suite., however, this only works on the 32-bit edition.

PCTools does have some nice freeware programs.

Take a look here:

PC Tools - Free Download Anti Spyware, Antivirus, Firewall, Internet Security, Registry, Disk Repair software

PC Tools AntiVirus Free Edition
PC Tools Firewall Plus

The firewall plus is excellent if you want to know where connections are coming from. It can be annoying at times, but you can set it to Silent Mode to eliminate all the pop ups.

You can also know what programs on your computer are trying to access the Internet and block them so they don't.

Back