Votes: 33 14.0%
  • ESET Smart Security/NOD32

Votes: 21 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 51 21.7%
  • Spybot S&D

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters
That is what I normally use too but I am testing out most A/V suites on my own to see how they do with samples.

Keep that avatar Gary I like it :)
Hi William ! My avatar was created for me by a special friend on another help forum. It's my personal avatar.
It's supposed to represent my wife's wind farm. Glad to see you here. You're doing a great job as usual.
Thanks for your reply!

What's going guys?!

Antivirus: I use Kaspersky Internet Security. I've been using it for several years now. So I'm very comfortable with all of its tweaking options. I buy it off Amazon every year. That seems to be the cheapest price all the time. I used Avast prior but I walked away from them when they asked to remote into my computer when my renewal key wasn't working. And the rep kept insisting it because of malware. And I had just completely wiped my HD with a baby newborn install of Windows 7 and Avast was literally the 2nd thing installed afterwards, off a clean USB stick, SMH. Oh yeah and they kept charging my card a year later when I never authorized auto renewal. If I didn't use KIS I'd use Bitdefender.

Malware/2nd opinion scanners:
Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro. I like to use both because there's time 1 will have caught something the other missed. And having both installed doesn't cause conflicts or system errors, like having 2 AVs.

Browsers Extensions: Firefox & Chrome; Ublock Origins, Privacy Badger, HTTPS Everywhere, and LastPass.
***I used to use NoScript but it became a chore having to click temporarily allow constantly when I just wanted to surf the web. Of course the usually sites I go to where white listed but not when I'm just surfing the web checking out new sites or sites I forgot about.***

Encryption: Bitlocker. I don't have a TPM chip on my motherboard so I use a USB key to unlock it.

VPN: Private Internet Access. I always have it turned on. And I have it on my Android as well.

Backup: Carbonite. I've had it for years and it's been great! I have it on my Android phone too. I've been able to retrieve files while on the road from my phone. If I ever get ransomware on my computer I can just give them the finger, wipe my HD and download my files.

Sent from my Note 4 using Windows Forum mobile app

Mcafee is the best antivirus among all in my opinion.
I remember McAfee Enterprise used to be very good back in the day. And they had a small stand alone scanner called Stinger, if I remember correctly, that was fantastic.

Just plain old Windows Defender and MBAM Pro;) Works for me and costs me 00$$
I have life time license MBAM Pro
You are braver than me man. I can't have an AV without some great zeroday protection.

That is what I normally use too but I am testing out most A/V suites on my own to see how they do with samples.
What suites have you tested out so far? And are some what conclusions have you come too?

You are braver than me man. I can't have an AV without some great zeroday protection.

Hi @LoboVerde I have other protection. The thread is about AV! I use MBAM Anti-Exployit, Ad-Muncher, WOT, and safe surfing!
I also have several Macrium Reflect images that I can restore to if I ever get more malware than I can remove with other online scanners like Superantispyware and ESET on line scanner!;):up::worship:

Hey holdum333!

Ya know I tried using images for back ups, back in the XP hey days. But I never could get them to work right.

It would be eaiser to just use the image and pick up with everything installed and all my files.

Hey holdum333!

Ya know I tried using images for back ups, back in the XP hey days. But I never could get them to work right.

It would be eaiser to just use the image and pick up with everything installed and all my files.

Hi @LoboVerde The XP hey days were good says, but the computer world changes daily and My thinking is you might want to have another look at back up images. I have never had Macrium Reflect fail to restore every thing back exactly just like it was the day I created the image.
I even done it on a cold Hard Drive. Right out of the box.:D:beer_mug:

Hi @LoboVerde I have other protection. The thread is about AV! I use MBAM Anti-Exployit, Ad-Muncher, WOT, and safe surfing!
I also have several Macrium Reflect images that I can restore to if I ever get more malware than I can remove with other online scanners like Superantispyware and ESET on line scanner!;):up::worship:

Yeah I did go overboard in my post haha, my bad!

Hi @LoboVerde The XP hey days were good says, but the computer world changes daily and My thinking is you might want to have another look at back up images. I have never had Macrium Reflect fail to restore every thing back exactly just like it was the day I created the image.
I even done it on a cold Hard Drive. Right out of the box.:D:beer_mug:

I might but it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Plus I've grown comfortable and confident in my backup/restore plan. Perhaps being comfortable in it is what will get the best of me one day but nothing is 100% when dealing with computers right!

Right my friend; nothing 100% when dealing with computers, but I'm pretty darn confident in my Macrium Reflect. She has never let me down in the 12 years I've had her. What ever works for you my friend. I'm sure you have it figured out.;) This old dog learns new tricks every day!:rofl:
The only problem is I forget them.:ahaha:

the results of the poll were a bit surprising … i assumed more would be using norton (comes pre-installed) … also anticipated less would be subscribing to mse. leads me to conclude that, while many complain about products, they ultimately choose to remain loyal (e.g. microsoft).

for quite long time, i used ad-aware and spybot (hand-in-hand) as tandem coalition. in time, spybot seemed to have problems and ad-aware became bloated … so i removed both of them and granted avg unfettered dominance.

still with avg, i also herald malware-bytes as chosen alliance … spyware-blaster rounds up my arsenal. mse … it will not work in tandem with avg.

in the past, i had also utilized emsisoft's a-squared products … but that was back when emsisoft's products could work hand-in-hand with legitimate anti-virus programs. emsisoft has, since, negated this allowance … installation of their av software could manifest conflicts with the other dogs in the industry.

so … in the poll … i checked() both avg and malwarebytes as my team.

Last edited:
MSE is a deprecated product which as been replaced with Windows Defender which as of the anniversary update now utilizes cloud analytics to detect malicious software. I thinks important to understand that programs such as ad-aware, spybot, spyware-blaster and many of the malware bytes products are on-demand scanners and not real-time protection. With a real-time solution you are almost guaranteed to have at least what is refereed to as a kernel mode file system filter driver. Basically a driver that analyzes data as it is passed to the driver that handles read/writing to the file system and is able to analyze based on signatures and also now a days malicious characteristics. IS (Internet Security) suites will come with other filter drivers including URL filters, network traffic filters (firewalls) and parental control systems. Any good security expert will tell you, never rely on one defense. Remember to use layered defense or more commonly refereed to "Defense in depth"

Back