Windows 10 Which Anti Virus?

I do like TrendMicro's effectiveness and I used it for around 4 years. It's still very good and BBJ it right it's nearly as effective as Norton but not quite. The problem with Trend is it's memory footprint although with today's machines it's a mute point for the most part. I recently switched to Webroot, but I would have no issue using either both are very effective anti-virus solutions IMO. Trend does not include a firewall (total protection) but that's a mute point windows software firewall is very good in my opinion if configured correctly, and adding to that most computer savvy folks also use a NAT enabled router and also have that locked down. Alternatively you can simply run Windows 10 build in defender and alternate online scanning on a few sites (housecall-norton) to augment it and that solution works fine for a lot of folks.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I remember trying TrendMicro waaay back in the day, lol.

I see that Webroot is pretty popular on this forum. But I can't find any test results from the major lab websites. I know there's more sites out there but here's just 3 of them. I'd really be interested in hearing other members experiences with it.
Comparatives & Reviews - AV-Comparatives
Virus Bulletin :: VB Testing
AV-TEST – The Independent IT-Security Institute

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I remember trying TrendMicro waaay back in the day, lol.

I see that Webroot is pretty popular on this forum. But I can't find any test results from the major lab websites. I know there's more sites out there but here's just 3 of them. I'd really be interested in hearing other members experiences with it.
Comparatives & Reviews - AV-Comparatives
Virus Bulletin :: VB Testing
AV-TEST – The Independent IT-Security Institute

To answer your question as to why Webroot doesn't show up in many tests is because it isn't a traditional AV product anymore. It's classified as NGEPP (Next Gen) which is also why I promote it so much. It uses different techniques which many security experts say are needed to combat the changing threat landscape. Here is a good article about what Next Gen means The six pillars of Next Generation Endpoint Protection

To answer your question as to why Webroot doesn't show up in many tests is because it isn't a traditional AV product anymore. It's classified as NGEPP (Next Gen) which is also why I promote it so much. It uses different techniques which many security experts say are needed to combat the changing threat landscape. Here is a good article about what Next Gen means The six pillars of Next Generation Endpoint Protection

Hm, very interesting. I supposed I'm just being a hard sell, kind of like if someone is telling you something about a particular brand of product you've never personally used or known someone to use, lol.

I'm not trying to be polemic just very interested in finding something better than Kaspersky, which I currently have. But check out this video.

This channel did a review of the 2016 version of Webroot and it failed the ransomware test. What are you thoughts @Neemobeer ? It's a long video about 30 minutes. So whenever you get time man.

Webroot only immediately removes items that are 100% known threats which is why the detection was only 75%. As to the "it's scanning my whole system" that is not true either. Webroot only scans through processes in memory after a threat is detected. Webroot did in fact detect the ransom ware upon execution they should of only needed to go in the console and tell Webroot to remove it and it should remediate any changes including altering of data (encryption)

I understand what you're saying that they should've removed it from the console after Webroot identified it. I think for people in this forum that would have been understood.
But Joe & Jane Average I don't think that would have come to their mind right away and the ransomware would have taken hold pretty quickly. So that really concerns me as I've said before I buy the 3 license deal for my wife's laptop. And might soon has to get a 3rd laptop for the kiddos to use. So I can't be there every time they're on the computer know what I mean? I'd rather have a security software that would have delete the detected threat. Hm, I wonder if this is a setting that can be changed in Webroot? Do you know?
But as we all know nothing is 100%. But I also have about 4 months left on my Kaspersky license. So the Geek in me is still curious about other AV software like Webroot.

@Neemobeer if you could use Webroot what else would you use?

I installed Webroot on my laptop. One thing I don't like is the window that pops up on every boot. And, I have experienced some un-explained lags shortly after boot that I think is caused by Webroot doing a scan. Otherwise, I have had no issues.

Regards, Jim

Webroot doesn't do full scans other than when it's installed.

Are you getting a UAC prompt when you boot?

I don't know what a UAC prompt is, but I don't get any prompt when I boot, just the usual welcome screen, etc.

Regards, Jim

i'd be willing to give this webroot software a chance … if ever they offered a free version (not just free trial). for instance, of the three plans webroot offers for their home edition, instead of charging $25.99 for basic anti-virus … issue this package as a free incentive. the other two packages (i-sp & i-sc) would require monetary subscription. a'ight then … that's all from this underling … have a good day.

I have been using Zone Alarm Extreme Security for years and the cost to upgrade is higher. I purchased Kasperky Internet Security and it is better than Zone Alarm. I stopped using Zone Alarm because it was using too many memory resources. KIS hardly slows down both my laptop and desktop computers.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Wow I haven't used ZoneAlarm since the EverQuest-EverCrack days!
It was so awesome back then. No other free firewall was like it then. But yeah it got bloated after it became really popular and I stopped using it too.

Webroot takes a different type of marketing theme instead of offering free it appears they offer a consistent lower price for their software. I remember Z/A back in the day it was highly rated. Over the years as NAT firewall protection through routers became more common, and routers got better it pretty much eliminated Z/A's software firewall business, which was formerly their staple. The A/V/malware protection was never they great from what I had seen and now that company is merely mentioned at times in retrospect and remembrance.

Which is best Antivirus? :)

Yeah, that is the question. But, a better question is how would you know? I think I have had two viruses in the last 10 years. So, if I choose what I think is the best anti-virus, the only way I would know if I made the right decision would be if I had less than two viruses in the next 10 years. Bottom line is, don't spend a lot of time with your decision. Pick one you think meets your needs and go with it.

Regards, Jim

Kaspersky internet security is the best to use and cheaper than many other AV brands out there.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

I just use Malwarebytes and windows defender. Has worked well so far. I used to use Comodo and had no problems with that either.

Back
Top Bottom