Votes: 33 14.0%
  • ESET Smart Security/NOD32

Votes: 21 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 51 21.7%
  • Spybot S&D

Votes: 7 3.0%

• Total voters
Hm interesting. Yeah I've been looking for for another AV. Not having anything to do with the Kaspersky drama just because I think I want something more bare bones or rather just what I need. But Kaspersky has a great 3 use license price which I need for my household. And I like how much I can dig into the settings. Does Webroot have lots of options and data available for their firewall?

All the Webroot YouTube reviews are not good. Most I find are set to loud music and don't so much of the interface and settings.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Windows Forums mobile app

It can still block threats offline, for items it needs to continue analyzing it will eventually need to communicate to their cloud platform. Even through reboots though it can still roll back a threat

For some clarification..
Webroot can still do it's own analysis offline, but it will offload to the cloud whenever it can. It works a lot like Cylance which is supposed to be adding a consumer offering. To sum up Cylance "It's F'ing awesome" It wiped the floor with SEPM in our POC. SEPM missing about 50 samples. Cylance got every sample thrown at it.

For some clarification..
Webroot can still do it's own analysis offline, but it will offload to the cloud whenever it can. It works a lot like Cylance which is supposed to be adding a consumer offering. To sum up Cylance "It's F'ing awesome" It wiped the floor with SEPM in our POC. SEPM missing about 50 samples. Cylance got every sample thrown at it.
I've never heard of Cylance. What's SEPM and POC?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Windows Forums mobile app

Cylance is only an enterprise solution at the moment. SEPM is Symantect Endpoint Protection management and POC (Proof of Concept)

Cool I'll have to keep that on my radar. Do you know when it's coming out?

SEPM is very good. I had access to use it YEARS ago in college as part of a tech club and classes I was taking. So it's better than that I definitely would like to check it out.

Keep us informed about it please.

Cant say I've ever used it personally, but they've always had good test results. I know they use some type of heuristic detection and sand boxing. Curious if they still rely on signatures at all which in my opinion is pretty worthless given how easy it is to defeat definitions. I don't think they leverage any kind of cloud for analysis or have the journaling/recovery webroot does either. I know a lot of test sites won't review webroot because normal AV tests don't really apply to it.

Interesting, about the signatures part. If Webroot is so good though I wonder why it's not used more then?

EDIT: Like I said I'm trying to keep another AV (besides Avast because I've had bad financial experience with them in the past) so I find Webroot as a possible alternative. And it sucks that there isn't any good (as in thorough reviews) reviews out there for it.

Last edited:
I think AVG used to be good back when the free AV market was just getting started. Then the free version got bloated and heavy on system resources. Then the pop up ads to purchase it started to get obnoxious. Then it was purchased by Avast and will never be as solid as it used to be. IMHO.

This seems to still be going somewhat so I'll add mine.

Malwarebytes + Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit + Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit
SuperAntiSpyware
AdwCleaner
Ccleaner (If you count it.)

At the time, Windows 8 didn't exist for this survey. However, I use the built in Windows Defender (I voted MSE therefore). For manual full scans, I use Malwarebytes v1.75.

I'm using Avast and windows in-built Windows Defender. They both saved me from trojans a couple of times, so I'm satisfied with their work.

There's a number of different AV program on the market today, and I thought it could be a good controversial thread to create..

Vote and post why you like the anti-virus, if you selected "other" make sure to tell us the name of the one you're using.

I, myself have been switching around a lot lately.. Started with Microsoft Security Essentials but removed due to some strange problem it was causing with my disk IO at login. From there, I moved (back) to AVG since I received a free 1-year professional licence, but found the same result: it's been a resource hog every since version 8.

I'm surprised that you don't have Comodo Internet Security as a option. It is crazy tweakable. Plus the HIPs section is great for control..!

In the past mind you.... I have found that if you want to get rid of Avast, good luck.

You can do the add/remove thing. Then go into hidden files/ user/name/ In there it is still exists. Plus one of the folder refuses to let you remove it, even after a reboot. I got rid of it by booting the computer with a live-disk of Linux.

Back