Windows 7 WHICH is the best antivirus program for windows 7 which don't cause BSOD???

Re: WHITCH is the best antivirus program for windows 7 whitch don't cause BSOD???

hey all, i agree, freeware does rule i use some of what you mentioned and no complaints. it all good. thanks. poorguy
hey all, my conclusion and my from my own use of AVG antivirus free 2012 after 30 days. i am happy to report that all is good. no slow downs on my desktop and no virus that got through. no problems at all or any of the horror stories that i have read about. i know that alot out here are sold on MSE and i also use it. my point is that there are other choices that work as well and have no problems and are as good. it is good to have an alternate choice. thanks for the space. poorguy

Re: WHITCH is the best antivirus program for windows 7 whitch don't cause BSOD???

AVG is an ok antivirus program. I used it for a long time in my xp days, i just got tired of being nagged constantly to upgrade to thier 'paid' version. I finally switched to mse and found that switch to be a good idea. I now have more resources as mse uses less of them than AVG did. (Freeware is freeware until it pesters you into being called adware, which is almost warranted.)

AVG is an ok antivirus program. I used it for a long time in my xp days, i just got tired of being nagged constantly to upgrade to thier 'paid' version. I finally switched to mse and found that switch to be a good idea. I now have more resources as mse uses less of them than AVG did. (Freeware is freeware until it pesters you into being called adware, which is almost warranted.)
yes avg does have the nag factor to it and it does have crap that is not needed or wanted. i use mse and avg and panda. i just did the avg because of all the bad that i have heard and read. i have never had any problems with it ever. mse i did have the MPKSL legacy driver problem with and the always needed a scan problem. i have since resolved those problems. panda cloud i use on my laptop and it is working good. as you said freeware is freeware.i agree mse is lighter on resources than avg. all good choices and free. thanks for the space. poorguy

AVG nags you to buy the professional version, and it's a resource hog. I've advised people to steer clear of AVG since version 7.5. I'm a beta tester for their products as well and must say AVG 2013 is no better than previous iterations. :(

AVG nags you to buy the professional version, and it's a resource hog. I've advised people to steer clear of AVG since version 7.5. I'm a beta tester for their products as well and must say AVG 2013 is no better than previous iterations. :(
i cannot say about what resources on your pc that it hogs,none on any of mine. if you feel the way you do about it why do you beta test it.it really doesn't nag me it just ask me under the window if i would like to upgrade.as far as avg 2013 i have not seen or used it yet so cannot say. poorguy

i cannot say about what resources on your pc that it hogs,none on any of mine. if you feel the way you do about it why do you beta test it.it really doesn't nag me it just ask me under the window if i would like to upgrade.as far as avg 2013 i have not seen or used it yet so cannot say. poorguy
the only antivirus that i have ever noticed slow downs or resource usage was mcaffee and norton and those were paid versions. IMO those two are a waste.i try alot of different freeware and my opinions are only based on my personal use. i keep what i like and don't use the ones that i hate.most pc that i use for testing are curb builds. they all seem to run fine.never beta tested antivirus but would like to,seems to be a good way to get a full paid version maybe.have you caught a virus while using or beta testing, or have any problems while using or beta testing this software.most freeware that i have used seemed to work ok while others seem to work better.none are perfect and any virus i ever had was due to my own fault and than it was to late. i just like to try different free software to see if what i read on different blogs is correct or not. as i said earlier most free software i have used/tried has worked well and no complaints at all. just my opinion. poorguy

I Would Say You Must Go With-
ESET Smart Security
Kaspersky Internet Security
Emsisoft Internet Security Pack

If Want Free -
Avast With Comodo Firewall

I Must Prefer You To use an Ondemand Scanners-
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Comodo Cleaning Essential

Ques - What Are OnDemand Scanners
Ans -
[h=2]Second Opinion Malware Scanner[/h]If your child is not feeling well and you suspect he or she has a virus infection you're going to visit your doctor. But what do you do when the doctor tells you that he cannot find anything but your child still does not feel very well? Of course, you go to visit another doctor for a second opinion.

This is the same what HitmanPro does for your computer. HitmanPro is a second opinion scanner, designed to rescue your computer from malware (viruses, trojans, rootkits, etc.) that have infected your computer despite all the security measures you have taken (such as anti virus software, firewalls, etc.).

[h=2]Why A Second Opinion?[/h]Research shows that computers are still run a chance of getting infected because the existing anti virus program is not giving you a 100% protection. "32% of computers infected, despite presence of anti virus program." Read more...

Just relying on a single vendor is not sufficient to completely protect you. You do need a second source to make sure you are secure. But in most cases, installing a second anti virus program is not a viable solution. Two programs are effecting the performance of the computer dramatically, and sometimes even conflict causing the computer to crash.

I Would Say You Must Go With-
ESET Smart Security
Kaspersky Internet Security
Emsisoft Internet Security Pack

If Want Free -
Avast With Comodo Firewall

I Must Prefer You To use an Ondemand Scanners-
MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Comodo Cleaning Essential

Ques - What Are OnDemand Scanners
Ans -
Second Opinion Malware Scanner

If your child is not feeling well and you suspect he or she has a virus infection you're going to visit your doctor. But what do you do when the doctor tells you that he cannot find anything but your child still does not feel very well? Of course, you go to visit another doctor for a second opinion.

This is the same what HitmanPro does for your computer. HitmanPro is a second opinion scanner, designed to rescue your computer from malware (viruses, trojans, rootkits, etc.) that have infected your computer despite all the security measures you have taken (such as anti virus software, firewalls, etc.).

Why A Second Opinion?

Research shows that computers are still run a chance of getting infected because the existing anti virus program is not giving you a 100% protection. "32% of computers infected, despite presence of anti virus program." Read more...

Just relying on a single vendor is not sufficient to completely protect you. You do need a second source to make sure you are secure. But in most cases, installing a second anti virus program is not a viable solution. Two programs are effecting the performance of the computer dramatically, and sometimes even conflict causing the computer to crash.

I rely on a single vendor, Microsoft, to take care of my operating system, i use payware: Windows 7 Home Premium, with thier own software solution, Microsoft Security Essentials, which I think works better than third party vendors. It doesn't cause BSOD conflicts precisely because it isn't a third party vendor, and it's free. For an online scanner I like eset: Free Online Virus Scanner | ESET ... saves paying out alot of money, and eliminates possible software conflicts :)

Last edited:
Keep it simple... I will, still, recommend the native Windows Firewall, MSE & an occasional running of Malwarebytes. This solution is free & does an excellent job.

Cheers,
Drew

That's true of prior versions, especially on Windows 7. I may never know on that OS, because it's covered by ESET Smart Security 5, along with MBAM Pro, my choices for that OS. MBAM Pro is Lifetime protection.

However, on Windows 8 RP, & I found this very surprising, AVG 2013 Free runs like it was built for the OS. And the Free version does offer more that it appears to, once the install begins. Email & realtime protection for one. No BSOD's, no resource hog. Also has a standalone Rootkit scanner, & offers Scheduled scans.

Being that my licensed ESET isn't quite "Windows 8 Ready" yet, thought I'd give it a shot. I'm also a beta tester for AVG, their IS suite didn't play so well. Seems that the IS suites, evidently a firewall component, doesn't play right with Windows 8.

I don't care for Windows Defender, for starters, there's no Notification icon to see what's going on. Most Windows users are accustomed to seeing this. Yes, there are background scans, CCleaner chews up the reports during cleaning, if checked to do so.

Cat

I happen to like MSE (Defender takes too long to write, lol) but, I don't want to debate securities (here). Just wanted to mention that it can be pinned to the taskbar & if it needs attention Action Ctr will notify & that can be see in the Sys Tray (Notifications) & that can be displayed in various ways... Notifications have lots of 'customizing' options available.

I, also, like the fact that something as good as MSE is embedded & on by default. And, personally, will just leave well enough alone, in Windows8, that is. I've had encounters w/ several securities, mine or my customers, over the yrs. MSE/Defender is fine enough, to my eye & I've never had a sick computer & that's what matters.

Actually, it's the title of this thread I don't get... A-Vs causing BSODs... huh, say what?

Cheers,
Drew

Last edited:

Actually, it's the title of this thread I don't get... A-Vs causing BSODs... huh, say what?

Cheers,
Drew
I must agree with that. I've never had BSODs with Anti Virus or other Security Programs. I've used several programs, AVG, Avira, Filseclab.

The BSOD are most probably caused by hardware issues, not Antivirus or other software.

I see this post is old, but I should mention my observations. Yes, it is true that for BSOD you should check memory, chipset drivers, and printer peripheral drivers (in that order). Be careful not to jump to conclusions on things like hard drive errors (including backup drives) or sleep modes. My recent experience with a Gigabyte MoBo with Windows7 Home Premium, the Panda Cloud AV was the source of the problem. All AV programs are quite intrusive TSRs and should be considered before replacing a lot of hardware. This is pretty easy to do and follows KISS paradigm.

I tried Avira Pro which takes the place of Avira Internet Security and Avira antivirus suite. It uses your WIN7 firewall which is good since it integrates with the Windows 7 OS. It's quiet and cheap, $19.95 from the Download Crew.

:)

hey all, choose one and use it, if you want paid buy it, if you want free choose one and use it. your web habits are going to depend on whether you become infected with a virus. I have used paid antivirus and use free antivirus. no antivirus is bullet proof. smart web habits is the best antivirus.

used avg free and avast free for years and never experienced BSOD.
I agree with Pauli on BSOD. mine were caused by driver issues.

poorguy

Last edited:
yep that muscle has kept me pretty safe for a few years or so. yeah i have tried alot of different free antivirus and have had some issues with a few of them but either worked them out or uninstalled it and tried a different one. i am using the new ad aware 11+ antivirus free and i believe that i read somewhere the bitdefender is their antivirus engine instead of vipre which is what they used to use. so far i like it and don't have any problems so far. it also doesn't appear to have any crap ware in it. we will see how it works out for me.

poorguy

avira antivirus free did very well for me when i used it. for 19.00 bucks i may give it a try.

poorguy

Back
Top Bottom