Why I use Linux as my main OS

Ralph Bromley

Fantastic Member
I have been a linux user for about 7 years now, I am a loyal user of Linux and barely use Windows and I have some very good reasons.
First of all Linux has not been as troublesome to me as Windows has, if there is an issue with it its actually easier to fix (even with the terminal) then Windows.
Secondly it doesnt need a restart for every little security patch or change to the OS, in linux all the components are separate from the kernel and for me this is more of a good thing then a bad thing.
Thirdly Linux is far more easier to modify and customize to my needs, no need for 3rd party projects to customize linux to the way it suits me.

Other things that bug the heck out of me in windows are:
The file browser, I always hated windows explorer for not embracing stuff like tabs like most linux file managers do.
The need to defrag it, NTFS has to be the most broken file system ever created after FAT as it clutters far too easily.

But the top reason why I use linux is Microsoft itself, they are one of the most anti competitive companies out there and have tried to shut down linux many times with false patent claims and intimidation, I only keep windows around for netflix but that is it and might remove it once I get a boxee or something like that.
I have a PS3 but warming it up just for netflix gets tedious

Currently I use Ubuntu 12.04 and very rarely boot into Windows 7 Professional 64bit on my self built machine

Last edited:
hello ralph.
Ive recently started using ubuntu myself.im currently running it in a virtual machine within windows 7.
I really like the ubuntu but im finding it a bit confusing at the moment.ive been so used to using windows.
Any suggestions on the use of ubuntu at all.

hello ralph.
Ive recently started using ubuntu myself.im currently running it in a virtual machine within windows 7.
I really like the ubuntu but im finding it a bit confusing at the moment.ive been so used to using windows.
Any suggestions on the use of ubuntu at all.

Well where do you want to start?
Installing programs?
Getting used to unity?

Security patches for Windows is useless with the proper protection and there is high-degree of protection available with Windows via third-party programs such as combining Buffer-zone Pro (Exploits are pretty damn hard to execute and find with this program), threatfire, and comodo internet security though there's other alternatives to comodo. If there's one thing I'm not really accepting of microsoft is the fact that they should focus a lot more to operating system than programs such as their office and allow open source office to go through and asides, I think they should provide users on lists on reliable high security programs rather than their own security suites as people are more vulnerable with the default Windows firewall. It's not that hard to diagnose issues with Windows. Their internet explorer sure do make Windows Winbloze and I don't even use that.

While I like Windows itself, I also have to admit Linux is great in security by default though it is possible to make autorun execution under linux as seen in a youtube with 12K+ views. No OS is 100 percent secure and yes, there are plenty of cases where Linux got hacked. But, I'll admit you won't have to be that paranoid under Linux in compared with Windows. I personally prefer Windows myself due to the programs and I hate command based OS as I have hard time using it. It's possible to place a rootkit under Linux and bypass chrootkit check, you should go into packetstorm security.

Oh, my two icon up with linux and firefox is just user-agent spoofed. I haven't gotten a rootkit at all myself and nor any serious virus this year or even the last year as I already learned security for Windows. Even if someone injects a file to me through browser or IM, I'll just block it. I wish more people are more educated into security into computer no matter what OS though Mac can be much more vulnerable than Windows with high security. Speaking of people, plenty of Windows user don't even have a bare idea of what's security is. My father is however a pretty damn good computer repairer due to this that I asked to get a job out of it.

Last edited:
These days though command line in linux is very rare, I barely use it.
Most applications for linux have a GUI frontend, the main reason why linux users give terminal commands is due to there being so many GUI's out there for certain things.
Plus the terminal in linux is far easier to work with then the one in windows

Last edited:
Oh I can agree with linux terminal being far easier than to work with windows command prompt. I just do a little research on linux terminal and get things done fast on linux.

Last edited:
Ubuntu 12.04 is great! For the 1st time ever, a Linux OS installed my printer with no input from me other than turning it on. The terminal, when needed, isn't as intimidating as it looks. One good thing about learning to work with the terminal, the user has more control over their computer.

I dual boot Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x64 with Windows 7 Pro x64. What one OS can't do, the other can. One thing to note, many users have reported there's no need for security with Linux OS's. This is false & potentially dangerous thinking. No OS is 100% immune to picking up viruses/malware.

While it's true that the OS itself is hard for a virus/malware to hit (unless the OS is being run as root, the same as Run As Administrator in Windows), the browser itself can still spread viruses to other Linux & even Windows computers. Here's a simple virus scanner that works on many versions of Linux, & can be used to scan Windows if dual booting.

ClamTk Virus Scanner

One must return to this page every now & then to check for the latest program. The scanner is fast & powerful.

Cat

the same as Run As Administrator in Windows), Cat
Didn't you notice that there are viruses/trojans/rootkits that can bypass that? The admin notification is useless as a security feature under windows if you do have combination of top-notch security suites.

Actually, that part of the quote was taken a bit out of context. It was comparing what "Run As Root" meant in Windows terminology for the members of the forum. Of course I know that admin notification can be worked around in Windows, but it cannot be in Linux unless one chooses to run/open a program as Root, which is highly advised against doing. Let me repeat, unless the user is logged in as Root, there is no access to the core of the OS. Linux users knows what I'm talking about.

And I did state that no OS is 100% immune to viruses/malware. If there were such an OS that would give 100% guaranteed security, we'd all be running it. Most versions of Linux are free of charge, and are more user friendly than ever.

When running Windows, I have both of my security apps to run scheduled scans daily, short scans 5x per week, Full scans 2x per week. Using ESET Smart Security 5 & MBAM Pro, I've yet to get infected with the combination. It's up to the user to be proactive with security, regardless of the OS (or brand of) being used.

I don't depend on notifications to keep me safe.

Cat

I have been a linux user for about 7 years now, I am a loyal user of Linux and barely use Windows and I have some very good reasons.
First of all Linux has not been as troublesome to me as Windows has, if there is an issue with it its actually easier to fix (even with the terminal) then Windows.
Secondly it doesnt need a restart for every little security patch or change to the OS, in linux all the components are separate from the kernel and for me this is more of a good thing then a bad thing.
Thirdly Linux is far more easier to modify and customize to my needs, no need for 3rd party projects to customize linux to the way it suits me.

Other things that bug the heck out of me in windows are:
The file browser, I always hated windows explorer for not embracing stuff like tabs like most linux file managers do.
The need to defrag it, NTFS has to be the most broken file system ever created after FAT as it clutters far too easily.

But the top reason why I use linux is Microsoft itself, they are one of the most anti competitive companies out there and have tried to shut down linux many times with false patent claims and intimidation, I only keep windows around for netflix but that is it and might remove it once I get a boxee or something like that.
I have a PS3 but warming it up just for netflix gets tedious

Currently I use Ubuntu 12.04 and very rarely boot into Windows 7 Professional 64bit on my self built machine
Anti-competitive? Try Apple on that one. They're very secretive about everything, everything from software to hardware to the finished product is built in-house (or contracted out). Users has to get most of their software from the Apple store.

At least Windows allows for most FOSS (free open source software) to be installed. Firefox & Open Office are 2 great examples of MS allowing FOSS on Windows. There are many software options available for Windows users, free & non-free. Not so with Apple.

But I do agree with you on the file system, the NTFS file system has to be defragged often. Except for those of use who has SSD's.

Cat

Back
Top Bottom