Windows 10 Why I Won't Upgrade To Windows 10 Just Yet.

Andrea Borman

Honorable Member
It seems that Microsoft bring out a new operating system every 3 years or so. It is getting impossible to keep up with it.
The recent new version of Windows is Windows 10 which I have tried one of the builds a few months ago. While I found that all of the software that I used on Windows 8 works on Windows 10. There are things that I don't like about it which are the changes.

One of the the worst changes is that you will no longer be able to hide or disable automatic updates on Windows 10. And this is one of the main reason why I don't want to upgrade.
I am running Windows 7 32 bit which I use most of the time and I also use Windows 8 32 bit. I don't have 8.1 because I never bothered to buy it because I already have 8. Though I did use an RTM trial version when it first came out.Windows 8.1 is just an updated version of Windows 8 and is the same as 8 except that it has a few added features such as the start button, but works the same as Windows 8.

Windows 10 is supposed to be like Windows 8 except that it has a start menu so you don't have to ad third party software to re-instate it as you did in 8 and 8.1. But a lot of the features we know and loved are now gone in Windows 10.

The main feature that is removed is the option to disable updates altogether and to control how you install updates. As you know in Windows 7 and 8 and all past versions of Windows you can chose not to update at all or to download or notify of updates but you chose wen or if you want to install them.

But in Windows 10 you won't be able to do this. You will have to have automatic updates whether you like it or not. And this will mean that if get have an update or software you don't want to install, update will install it anyway and you won't be able to hide or stop it.

Also there is no Winhlp update in Windows 10 so you won't be able to view any of your Winhelp files that come with your 16 bit software. Although you will still be able to use 16 bit apps if you have 32 bit Windows 10 but not read the help files!

The old personalize options the right click is gone and from the look of the latest build the OS is quite ugly looking. And the old Windows Vista and 7 icons that were also on Windows 8 are gone.
Now you have these ugly Metro or Comic Cartoon like icon on all of your folders. YUK.
I don't see the need for a Windows 10 and there is no point in it. Since most Windows users have only just started using Windows 7 now that Windows XP is no longer supported and have only just gotten used to Windows 8. So why should I use this when I still have Windows 7 which will still be supported for any 5 years until 2020 and Windows 8 until 2023 (same with 8.1.) If you are going to try something a bit different I suppose you can use Windows 8 but Windows 10-NO. I say give it a miss if you still have Windows 7 or 8 which most people do have.

Hi Andrea

You comment made me think of something that I hadn't considered before.

While most of the icons can be customised (I make new icons all the time as well as Widows sounds) I wondered if there is a location for the default Windows icons that can be modified replacing it with your own icon preference as you can do with the sound files.

Personally I like Windows 10 minus the bugs, and I'm looking forward to a glitch free version.

I actually use Cortana even in the limited form she is now, it's very easy to say "Hey Cortana, search Scottish Deerhounds" instead of opening your browser and typing it in, and I use the play my music thing all the time.

She could use some new jokes though.

I think a great feature would be to allow people to add jokes to the database, (after screening) so that it could build up a cache of thousands of jokes.

While some things are harder to get to, some things are also much easier to get to, i.e. the right click drop down from the start button.

For things that I often access that aren't easy to get to I've created links to them and put them on my RocketDock bar, Sounds Control Panel etc.

For the first time since Windows XP I'm not using a mod to change the way the interface works, I've used Classic Shell since Windows 7 came out.

It's a least an improvement over Windows 8 which was native on my computer, so I'm pretty happy with it.
It's the only OS on my computer now, and I'm running all my games and software in it.

Mike

Well you can use an icon extractor tool such as Becyicon Grabber
see here:
http://www.becyhome.de/becyicongrabber/description_eng.htm

To extract icons from the shell folders. Or go to Shell32.dll where most of the icons from previous versions of Windows are, then change the folder icons.

Be Icon grabber can also extract 16 bit icons from 16 bit software on Windows Vista,7 and 8. That also works on Windows 10 though when I tried to change the My Computer folder icon it reverted back again. I don't know if it was a bug or not but they may have fixed that now in the new builds.

Most places such as offices have only recently upgraded to Windows 7. Not many are using 8 except at home maybe. Some Internet cafes I have been to are still using Windows XP. So I can't see many people wanting to go from that to Windows 10.

Most companies and people will get Windows 10 when they buy a new computer, probably not a lot of them will upgrade their existing computers.

Though it may be a little different with Microsoft actually pushing people to upgrade and doing it for free.

Those of us who are geeky will upgrade as I did from XP to 7 and from 7 to 8, but the general public probably could care less.

Windows 8 was so bad it caused computer sales to slump, I think Microsoft is really going to push Windows 10 for that reason at least, it will give them an out for all the people who got a new computer and then wanted to go back to Windows 7.

Last edited:
I did not like Windows 8 when it first came out because it did not have a start menu. Also Beta versions had a lot of but which thankfully were fixed in the RTM version. But now I am using Windows 8 which is a lot like Windows 7. You can also install Classic Shell to get the start menu and disable the Ribbon with Ribbon Disabler then you have both the start menu and the Windows 7 Explorer.

If I do install buy Windows 10 I will install it on another computer. I am not going to wipe out my Windows 7 and 8 to upgrade to 10 because then you have to re-install all over again if you want to downgrade. They say the upgrade is free but after a year users will have to pay if they want to carry on using Windows 10, so I read.

When you buy a PC now it comes with Windows 8.1 mostly 64 bit. But you can stil install 32 bit or Windows 7 if you have a valid copy of Windows. But I read that with Windows 10 PC's you won't be able to disable Secure Boot,so if you want to install Windows 7 or another OS you cannot. Which has also put me off but then you can just buy the Windows 10 and install it on a laptop you already have.

In regards to the inability to disable automatic updates, that is only for Win 10 Home, other versions of Win 10 will still retain that ability. I personally view this as a good thing since the average user is better off installing all updates since, if they turn them off, they often do no updates which isn't a good thing.

I don't plan to upgrade any of my Win 7 or Win 8.1 machines to Win 10 either but, in my case, it's simply because there is nothing about Win 10 that is compelling enough to get me to make the switch. I don't care about a Start menu (especially the clunky one in Win 10), the Edge browser isn't nearly ready to compete with any other browsers out there, Cortana is a useless toy and I don't use Metro apps so don't care that they are now windowed. The new virtual desktop feature is kind of interesting but not enough to make me switch.

I won't move to Win 10 until such time as I build or buy a new machine.

In regards to the inability to disable automatic updates, that is only for Win 10 Home, other versions of Win 10 will still retain that ability.
There are only going to be 2 editions for computers, Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro. Yes it's true that on the Pro version you can choose to download or notify of updates. Where as on the Home version you can't but you won't be able to disable updates in either version as you can now on Windows 7 and 8. I set mine to "never check for updates" but this option has been removed from Windows 10.

There's actually 7 versions of Win 10 but for consumers it's pretty much a choice between Home or Pro.

You're free to do as you see fit but IMO it's crazy to set your computer to "never check for updates". Hopefully, you periodically manually check for updates and don't just ignore updates completely.

Hmm... I agree with Strollin. To 'never' check is a tad wild. I always set mine to 'automatically check for updates but ask me whether to download and install them'.

Andrea's point about Windows 10 and it's new update regime does hold some water though and for many it could be a deal breaker?

For someone on a measured data service with a low data cap it could definitely be a deal breaker.

For people that don't like the idea of their system going onto the internet without asking or any one that has trust issues with Microsoft it is a deal breaker as well... specially when it doesn't offer anything new that they can't get from 7 or 8.

To be clear, I'll upgrade one system to 10 (more to stay my hand in for tech suport) but I have to agree with the general lack of interrest shown.

Hmm... I agree with Strollin. To 'never' check is a tad wild. I always set mine to 'automatically check for updates but ask me whether to download and install them'.

Andrea's point about Windows 10 and it's new update regime does hold some water though and for many it could be a deal breaker?
I don't mean that I never check for updates I do. The reason I set my Update to the never check for updates setting is so I don't have updates downloading in the background and slowing down my PC. If you have it set on never you can still check for and install updates but in your own time when you want to. Rather than having it downloading things when you are using your computer and doing something important. I think the option to force automatic updates in Windows 10 is a very bad idea. Because say you get an update for something you don't want, there will be no way to block that update. Where as in Windows 7 and 8.1 you can.

"If you have it set on never you can still check for and install updates but in your own time when you want to."

It does seem, on statements so far, that you can schedule to updates the final release., as we can now in the builds. No way, when it reaches the chosen schedule time, to stop those updates. In my case, I have already planned to have it happen when I am in bed.
But, MS are under fire on this decision, so it could change over the next couple of months. PUT IN YOUR FEEDBACK, ASAP.

If they don't change it then I'm almost certain we will see a scenario much like the missing Start menu debacle. What kinda worries me the most about all of this is the fact they appear to be going down exactly the same road again without having learnt the lessons from 8.1..

If I do install buy Windows 10 I will install it on another computer. I am not going to wipe out my Windows 7 and 8 to upgrade to 10 because then you have to re-install all over again if you want to downgrade. They say the upgrade is free but after a year users will have to pay if they want to carry on using Windows 10, so I read.

I don't have any issues with wiping my hard drive to upgrade, I create system image files at regular intervals, I've made 22 of them for Windows 10 since I started using it.

If I need to go back I can just restore one of them and be back where I was in half an hour.

Mike

If they don't change it then I'm almost certain we will see a scenario much like the missing Start menu debacle. What kinda worries me the most about all of this is the fact they appear to be going down exactly the same road again without having learnt the lessons from 8.1..
I agree. I think that we should be given the same options of updating as what we had in Windows 7 and 8. There are also some updates that cause problems and you might not want to install. Therefore we should be given a choice.

Another blow is that you won't be able to disable secure boot on laptops that come pre-installed with Windows 10. So if you want to install Windows 7 or another OS you won't be able to. Also you won't be able to do a clean install of Windows because of the secure boot settings which is also wrong. I thought I would point that out too.

Another blow is that you won't be able to disable secure boot on laptops that come pre-installed with Windows 10. So if you want to install Windows 7 or another OS you won't be able to.
Pretty sure that's wrong. I believe the ability to disable secure boot is still optional (not mandatory) and a decision left up to the Hardware OEM not the OS.
Additionally as far as I know, Windows 7 is secure boot compatible as well as some of the newer versions of Linux.

Also you won't be able to do a clean install of Windows because of the secure boot settings which is also wrong.
Pretty sure that, that is also wrong.

Where do you come by this information? Do you make it up, or do you have some specific authoritative resources that you can link to, that support these proclamations?

I have the option to turn my secure boot on or off. I don't believe with Windows 10 that will change.

Can all systems disable UEFI Secure Boot?
While it is designed to protect the system by only allowing authenticated binaries in the boot process, UEFI Secure Boot is an optional feature for most general-purpose systems. By default, UEFI Secure Boot can be disabled on the majority of general-purpose machines. It is up to the system vendors to decide which system policies are implemented on a given machine. However, there are a few cases—such as with kiosks, ATM or subsidized device deployments—in which, for security reasons, the owner of that system doesn’t want the system changed.
SOURCE: http://www.uefi.org/faq

The UEFI Forum as well as the Trusted Computing Group (you can find their membership if you search around a bit), are the folks working on "Secure Boot", which is a piece of the UEFI Specs.
I don't look for such things as "Secure Boot" to become mandatory anytime soon, but.....
If it does I would suspect that more OS Vendors would submit their offerings for inclusion as, I believe some of the recent Linux Distros have already done. I think the last couple versions of Ubuntu have been included and are compliant.
Can UEFI Secure Boot be adopted and implemented by a variety of operating systems?
UEFI specifications are platform-independent, supporting multiple platforms and architectures. In addition, UEFI specifications are designed to promote cross-functionality, as well as to support broad adoption across multiple operating systems, including Windows as well as Linux-based operating systems. The specifications are robust and can potentially complement—or even advance—other distributions, such as Linux-based distributions.

Pretty sure that's wrong. I believe the ability to disable secure boot is still optional (not mandatory) and a decision left up to the Hardware OEM not the OS.
Additionally as far as I know, Windows 7 is secure boot compatible as well as some of the newer versions of Linux.

Pretty sure that, that is also wrong.

Where do you come by this information? Do you make it up, or do you have some specific authoritative resources that you can link to, that support these proclamations?
I heard it from here although I hope it could be wrong.
http://winaero.com/blog/windows-10-pc-install-linux

Back