Windows 7 Will Windows 7 Install delete existing files on my partition?

djflex2009

I have 3 seperate drives in my system. I want to dual boot Windows Vista and Windows 7 RC1. Vista is install on the first drive (C) I want to install Windows 7 on the second drive D but there is currently files on the drive (some Videos and music etc). If i choose to install Windows 7 custom install and choose the D drive will it format the drive or wipe any of the files on there? I dont have any means of moving or backing up these files are they take up too much room (a lot of em are in HD format).

So all i want to know is will the Win 7 installer delete the exisitng files on the drive? Thanks.

Yes, it will delete the existing files.

There';s not enough room on the E: or the C: drive?Is this the only computer you have in the house? If you have a network set up, could could transfer those files to the other computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks.

I have 250gbs of space free on both D and E drives which are both 750gb in size. I think i may just create a seperate partition in the free space on one of the drives if thats the case then. I was just hoping i could choose the D or E drive to install Windows 7 and it leave the current contents of the drive intact. Oh well.

So you have more that 250GB of videos and pictures that won't fit on the E: drive?

You have not created any separate partition on all 3 drives?

You sure must had download a hell of a lot of HD video;)

LOL yeah we wont go into that.... I just have a lot of data put it that way. Right ive created a 140gb partition in the free space on the E drive and as a test im also going to leave some files in the new partition before i install Windows 7 to see what happens to em out of interest.

Unfortunatly since Vista the install process doesnt seem to give much information about what its actually going on in the background IMO.

Back
Top Bottom