Windows 10 Win 10 Backup/File History

Bas

Hi Anyone, After installing/uninstalling Win 10, with much help from Kemical, I finally got Win 7 reworking and un-corrupted (ish). So, I upgraded to Win 10 again and it's good! However, I can't seem to make File History work properly. When I go to 'More Options' in Settings, Backup, I ask it to remove some files for backup. I don't know where Win 10's choices come from but it seems to want to backup a Coldplay track which is but one of 100 or so other tracks? When I remove this, and a few others I don't want, it seems to work - but when I go back to check 'More Options' later, the files I removed are back again! Moreover, if I select the 'Exclude these files' option, then nothing happens and no files can be entered. Not the end of the world I know, but damned tedious when everything else seems to work nicely. Anyone got any ideas? Bas

So, are you attempting to use Backup/File History for backup purposes?? I certainly don't understand what use you have for it, as I've posted here before that Microsoft's built-in backup programs have never worked reliably in the last 20 yrs. If that is your intention, post back, and I'll provide you with a list of programs that have been tested to work reliably with Win10.
The reason that the Windows programs are unreliable is that they were designed to be unreliable. Just like with AV, Microsoft never has really applied many resources to resolving this problem, they just leave it to a Niche Market to develop and provide adequate programs to supplement Windows lack of functionality with built-in programs. For the AV market, this has developed into a 3 Billion dollar a year Niche Market. If Microsoft made a fully functional AV program and gave it to the worldwide Windows users, all those companies would be wiped off the planet in a single swipe or keystroke of Microsoft's pen. The same thing would happen if they fixed their built-in Backup/File History programs.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Since no 'expert', MVP, or staff member has seen fit to comment, I guess you could be right in your assertion that it is a crummy facility! So, OK Bigbearjedi, what programs do you recommend?

Hi

Part of the solution to having your data safe and your computer easy to recover when things go wrong, is how you organize your computer to start with.

So, this is my opinion on how to do it, it works for me.
As Bear said, I totally discount Microsoft's solutions in this area.

One, if you can, have a separate drive just for Windows, if that's not possible then Put it on it's own partition.

I don't save any of my data, or install any of my non Microsoft programs on this drive or partition.

When I install a new software program I change the "C":\ in the install address to "D" and the installation goes to D:\Program Files, or D:\Program Files (x86) just as it would on the "C" drive.

The end result is that my C:\drive is only 40 Gigabytes, and my software it not effected by anything that happens to my C:\ drive.

Almost all security issues and problems that would cause your computer to not boot will happen on this drive.

All of my data goes on another hard drive, or partition, this includes my image backup files.

Now, you only have to worry about backing up the C:\ drive using some kind of software.

You should backup your important data files to an external hard drive, manually (just copy them) not using compression software.

You can use software to do this, (Todo backup will do this too) but I prefer to not have to rely on software to restore them from compressed files if I need to, (Bad experience in the past).

Use backup software to make a System Image file!!!
I use EaseUS Todo backup, but there are a lot of options.

Even it the worst happens and you completely lose the C:\ drive to a virus or corrupt system files, or the drive just dies, you can have your computer back up and running in no time.

Only a couple of days ago, I was playing Tomb Raider when the power went off in our house.
It only stayed off for a few seconds but it was enough to mess up my computer.

It wouldn't boot, it couldn't repair itself, and it wouldn't give me access to my Restore Points.

But 22 minutes later everything was back up and running, because all I had to do was restore my system image file.

It's easy and it makes me feel a lot more relaxed, especially since I like to mess around with my computer and get into trouble some times, by tweaking things better left alone.

I've even had my computer fried by lightning and didn't lose anything important.

Never have anything you can't afford to lose saved in only one location.

Mike

Last edited:
Since no 'expert', MVP, or staff member has seen fit to comment, I guess you could be right in your assertion that it is a crummy facility! So, OK Bigbearjedi, what programs do you recommend?

Hi Bas:
Glad you asked. Here's a handout that I did for the recent Backup Presentation focusing on Win10 at my local Computer Club last month:

WINDOWS 10 WORKSHOP: WIN10 BACKUP

#1: STAND-ALONE INCREMENTAL/DIFFERENTIAL/FULL BACKUP PROGRAMS

1. Windows10 File Explorer

2. EaseUS Todo Backup Free 8.6
Best free backup software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, etc - EaseUS Todo Backup Free

3. AOEMI Backupper Standard 3.0
Best Free Backup Software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, Vista, XP
4. Recuva

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download

5. Paragon Backup and Recovery 14 Free Edition
Backup & Recovery Free Edition - Overview

#2: CLOUD-BASED INCREMENTAL/DIFFERENTIAL/FULL BACKUP PROGRAMS
1. CARBONITE cloud-based backup (fee-based)
Online Backup, Cloud & Hybrid Server Backup | Carbonite

2. CRASH PLAN cloud-based backup (fee-based)
Online Data Backup - Offsite, Onsite, & Cloud - CrashPlan Backup Software

#3: IMAGE CLONING BACKUP PROGRAMS*-[tested with Win10]
1. Macrium Reflect Free
Macrium Software
2. Acronis True Image 2016
Acronis True Image 2016 | Acronis
***End of Document***

This should proved useful for you. This list is provided on products I've PERSONALLY tested and used with Win10. Mike gave you some excellent suggestions as well, including using the EaseTODO image cloning software. He is also one of the Win10 Insider Testers and we've been working together on Win10 Image Cloning and other Win10 testing since the beginning of this year. Mike also has very good up to date information that's insightful and helpful. Between the suggestions of the 2 of us, you now have probably the latest and most accurate information out there on backup/recovery solutions for Win10 anywhere in the world.

Let us know how things work out for you.

Best of luck,:thumbs_up:
<<<BBJ>>>

Back