Windows 10 Win 10 installation time

anotherwindowsuser

Hi I am installing win 10 into the laptop which had win 8 on, win 8 run reasonably well, however win 10 onto a new hdd is taking over two hours, this is ludicrously long.

Did you verify that your system meets the requirements for Windows 10? It seems you may not have enough space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you verify that your system meets the requirements for Windows 10? It seems you may not have enough space.

What would space have to do with speed? Anyway I think it's crashing from over heating in the cpu, the bottom of the laptop felt like a frying pan, I don't know why as I looked at the inside of laptop and it is very clean. I will try to use the startup help feature in the morning.

OK so here's an update, I restarted the computer with the usb install disk, chose repair, clicked on trouble starting up, it didnt work, i rebooted the computer and it said connecting to the net might fix it with an update, so I added wifi, it did something, it then asked me if I wanted to setup for personal use, I chose personal use, let me create an account name, choose a password, after choosing a password it crashed. It then rebooted asked me more questions like choose location UK, it then spent a good ten mintues on a "just a moment screen" lol, it then said "something went wrong, you can try again, or skip for now: OOBEKEYBOARD" I chose skip, then I got another OOBZDP, I skipped, I then after a wait got back to the first question of if I want to setup for personal use...

This del D630 came with vista and installed win 8.1 great so why has win10 changed so much it wont install? I shall see what I can find on the web.

So I fond this website, did a few changes to my A18 bios (I couldn't install the latest A19 one it just wouldn't execute on win8 or my install of xp) changed a few options to the advice on the page 4, none of which i believe would have stopped it during install and yet it still wouldn't boot up. This is strange.

I am now wondering as the pc connected to wifi, is the code I used for windows 8 now useless and married to win10 or would I have needed to go through the verification state in control panel for that? Is it possible there are simpler windows 10 versions I can use in order to start off with?

Are you updating 8.1 to 10 via the upgrade path or tying to clean install.?

What would space have to do with speed? Anyway I think it's crashing from over heating in the cpu, the bottom of the laptop felt like a frying pan, I don't know why as I looked at the inside of laptop and it is very clean. I will try to use the startup help feature in the morning.

If you don't have enough space, the update will stall out.

If your laptop is that hot, I strongly urge you to find a cooling fan for it. Place it on a flat surface with the fan underneath the laptop.

If you don't have enough space, the update will stall out.

If your laptop is that hot, I strongly urge you to find a cooling fan for it. Place it on a flat surface with the fan underneath the laptop.

320gb so space is not an issue,

turns out the hdd is possibly 9 years old, from what i read of some of the reviews from the seer who sold it, he has high good feedback but perhaps just perhaps this is a dodgy one.

I just had a thought, it seems to copy over the installation files just fine, I mean, the amount of time to opcy 10+gb of installationfils I'd expect to be taken as was taken, however, its only the installation stage that is exceptionally slow, could this be a drivers or bios settings issue? I am going to try to flash the bios as I happen to have access to it during a reboot of the installation.

Well I followed the instructions on this video and it has allowed me to go past the stage I was at, however I wondered if there are any security issues to consider?

He said to type this no a shift+f10 screen during install:

net user Administrator /active:yes
net user /add admin password
net localgroup administrators admin /add
cd %windir%\system32\oobe
msoobe.exe

then reboot by holding down the power button. I was then booted to the windows login page of a rock which surprised me because I dont think I had pointed out my region settings yet lol, then it did something which I persume is some kind of update via wifi.

I've taken the new HDD and put it onto my computer to compare its speed against the old laptop HDD and I've run the attached screenshots of the Disks program benchmark test, surely windows 10 should run ok when windows 8 runs ok on the old HDD?

This is the specs of the new one.

Toshiba MK3276GSX 320GB SATA 3GB/s 5400rpm 2.5 Inch Internal Hard Drive​

Compatible DevicesDesktop
BrandToshiba
Digital Storage Capacity320 GB
Hardware InterfaceSATA 3.0 Gb/s
Form Factor2.5 inches

About this item​

• Toshiba 320GB 2.5 "SATA. Hard Drive
  • Size: 2.5 "
  • Hard Drive Capacity: 320 GB
  • Hard disk rotational speed: 5400 RPM
  • Hard Drive Interface: SATA
  • Player
  • Buffer Size: 8 MB

Attachments

• New disk.png
    New disk.png
    139.3 KB · Views: 145
  • old disk.png
    old disk.png
    178.4 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Linux won't upgrade a bios driver made as an executable in windows will it?
Edit: it turns out you can
Well I tried to use two disk ISO type from the free dos website, one was FD1.2 and the other 1.3 however on 1.2 it wants to install dos but not be a live disc and on 1.3 it will be a live disk however wont see the usb drive, i tried running it in vbox and even there it wouldn't let you add usb as an option so I don't know what dell's instructions are saying because they say to run it in safe mode and not to install it over your current OS.

Further to this I succeeded in creating a bootable freedos usb stick however upon going to run the program it now says "failure to analyse flash image (ErrorCode = 504h)!

Last edited:
I don't understand what you are doing, so many changes, so many errors, so many sidewalks, its a maze, but in general to upgrade an old laptop depends on the availability of drivers. First you should check the manufacturers website on drivers, if they are not available from there, your best changes are an upgrade from a clean install the previous / old version of Windows, I have seen installs where drivers are inherited from the old into the new W10 install.

I don't understand what you are doing, so many changes, so many errors, so many sidewalks, its a maze, but in general to upgrade an old laptop depends on the availability of drivers. First you should check the manufacturers website on drivers, if they are not available from there, your best changes are an upgrade from a clean install the previous / old version of Windows, I have seen installs where drivers are inherited from the old into the new W10 install.

I am just trying to install Windows 10 to the laptop with a clean new HDD. The problem is windows took 2 hours to install and had the above error messages during instal.

There are no drivers issues and upon installation, the device manager in windows 10 shows everything installed ok. The big issue is how slow the OS is working. I have seen a video of windows 10 working on my laptop model perfectly fine so why isn't mine?

Upgrading via win.81 route might be an idea, however, I don't know if I can do that now because I think windows 10 automatically validated itself and it was using win 8.1 keys. If I install win 8.1 without it connecting to the net and updating can I still upgrade to 10? I presume if I connect to the net win 8.1 will self destruct or something because the keys were in use on 10?

Is there a process that consumes all resourses?
Are all updates installed?
Is there enough virtual memory/space in the swapfile?
You do have enough memory installed, haven't you?

Is there a process that consumes all resourses?
Are all updates installed?
Is there enough virtual memory/space in the swapfile?
You do have enough memory installed, haven't you?

I have two gb in it however since the thread started I tried it on the old hdd so it it seems its not the new hdd at fault for slowness. I have changed the settings to performance.

Ok, 2GB main memory, but how about
- a process that consumes all resources
- updates installed
- the size of the swapfile/virtual memory
- upgrade from a clean install of the previous version?

Back
Top Bottom