Windows 7 Win 7 connection to Win XP problem

tomween1

I have a mix bag of XP and Win 7 Home os running on my wireless network.

Since I've loaded 7 on a couple of my computers, the XP computers do not see the 7 computers and vice-verse. When all of the computers were XP they were all sharing and working well.

My wireless router is the D-Link DIR-628. When I log into the router it identifies all items connected to the network.M
I have tried loading to the network sharing using the Network and Sharing Center, but when it searches the network it tells me there is a problem and offers choices of help. Non of which, have. If it matters, the first computer in the string is an XP system.

Any help would be great.

Thanks, Tom

Solution
Tom, it seems like you're experiencing networking issues between computers running Windows XP and Windows 7 Home on your wireless network. This issue might be related to network discovery settings or compatibility differences between the operating systems. Here are some steps you can take to resolve this problem:

Check Network Discovery Settings:​

1. Windows 7 Settings:
    • Go to the Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings.
    • Make sure that Network Discovery is turned on.
    • Enable file and printer sharing and other necessary settings for the network profile you are using (Private or Public).
    • Save changes.
    []Windows XP Settings:
    • In XP, you may need to...
Tom, it seems like you're experiencing networking issues between computers running Windows XP and Windows 7 Home on your wireless network. This issue might be related to network discovery settings or compatibility differences between the operating systems. Here are some steps you can take to resolve this problem:

Check Network Discovery Settings:​

1. Windows 7 Settings:
    • Go to the Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change advanced sharing settings.
    • Make sure that Network Discovery is turned on.
    • Enable file and printer sharing and other necessary settings for the network profile you are using (Private or Public).
    • Save changes.
    []Windows XP Settings:
    • In XP, you may need to enable network discovery manually as it's off by default.
    • Go to My Network Places > View Network Connections.
    • Right-click on your network connection > Properties.
    • Check the box for "Show icon in notification area when connected," and ensure that File and Printer Sharing are enabled.
    • Save changes.

Workgroup Configuration:​

• Ensure that all computers are in the same workgroup. You can check and change the workgroup settings in the Control Panel under System settings.

Shared Resources:​

• Make sure that the folders and printers you want to share are properly configured for sharing on both Windows XP and Windows 7 computers.

Firewall and Antivirus Settings:​

• Check firewall settings on all computers to ensure they are not blocking network access.
      • Temporarily disabling the firewall or antivirus software for testing purposes can help identify if they are causing the issue.

Guest Account:​

[
    • ]To simplify sharing, you could create a common "Guest" account on all computers with the same username and password.

Additional Tips:​

• Restarting your router and all computers can sometimes resolve connectivity issues.
      • If you're using homegroup on Windows 7, remember that Windows XP does not support homegroup.
      After making these adjustments, try accessing shared files and folders between the XP and Windows 7 computers again. If the issue persists, let me know, and we can explore further solutions.

Solution