Windows Vista Win 7 Taskbar For Vista

Adamsappleone

U.S.Navy D.A.V.
How to make Vista's taskbar look and act like Win 7's.
This does not include or add "Pin To Taskbar Function" which is not really needed due to the "Quick Launch Feature"
This is a regedit, so do so at your own risk and please back it up.

1. Open "Regedit" and navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Panel/Desktop(Expand) and click on "Window Metrics"
2. Right click on empty space and create a new "String" and name it "MinWidth" and give it a value of "-285"
3. Close Regedit.

4. Right click "Taskbar" and unlock
5. Right click "Taskbar" again, hover over "Toolbars" and enable "Quick Launch" if it isn't already.
6. Using your mouse, expand the Quick Launch area to show all Icons.
7. Right click an area in the Quick Launch and hover over "View" and select "Large Icons"
8. Right click "Taskbar" again and select "Properties", click the "Taskbar Tab" and select all except "Auto-Hide The Taskbar"
9. Done.

To add an item/program, just right click the program and "Add To Quick Launch"

This method also works for Windows XP and since XP does not have the "Add To Quick Launch" in the right click context you can easily add it to the "Quick Launch" by simply dragging the program Icon to the taskbar.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2nrhwfr.jpg Vista

http://i45.tinypic.com/2088ec4.jpg XP Pro

Last edited:
Mate,

You shouldn't be messing around with your Registry Keys. You can damage the entire system. This would mean that you would have to reinstall your Operating System. Don't do it, I've done it myself.

Kind Regards,

Aikma

Mate,

You shouldn't be messing around with your Registry Keys. You can damage the entire system. This would mean that you would have to reinstall your Operating System. Don't do it, I've done it myself.

Kind Regards,

Aikma

Thanks for your concern, but I am well aware of the effects of making registry changes as are most if not all members here. I've never had to reinstall my OS due to a registry change.

If you know what you are doing, there shouldn't be a problem.
If you back it up before hand, there shouldn't be a problem.
If you create a "Restore Point" before hand, there shouldn't be a problem.
If you know how to use "System Restore", there shouldn't be a problem.

With regards, Don

"A computer is only infallible as it's user"

Back