Windows 7 Win 7 to Win 8

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Hello
I copied this from my MS Word to keep for reference.
Most of this is Win 7 that is why I selected this instead of Win 8 's forum.

I am about to take the plunge but wanted to tie up a few questions so if someone had the time I would appreciate the help.

I am going to install Win 8 in my xps 8300 using the iso file for $40.00.
I currently have Win 7 Home premium x 64.
I ran the advisor and was told I would not get, or lose;
1-secure boot
2-avisynyh
3-Win Live Essentials
4-DVD
5-ATI and ATI manager
My few questions were;
1-should I do a clean install or an upgrade
2-should I remove all partitions or, if not, which should I keep; I currently have C: and a system reserved, 100MB.
3-can I, or shoud I, attempt to retrieve the apps/programs I lose by updating drivers, afterwards
4-if this Win 8 fails, can I use an image in my usb drive to retrieve my last Win 7 image as I think it is one license per one pc.
I wrote in this format so it would be easy to respond the same way, ie, 1.2.3 etc

Thank you very much for your help
Peter

1. I would always do a clean boot.
2. As things are a bit uncertain I'd try a dual boot shrinking your drive C by at least 40GB, preferably more, creating a new peimary partition in the space created and installing to that.
3. Check the device manufacturers' websites for availability of win 8 compatible drivers - as you are already running a 64 bit version of win 7 I would be very surprised if this were to be a problem.
4. Does not apply if you use dual boot. If you choose to wipe win 7 then I'd use something like acronis true image to make a complete image of your existing system from which you could make a full recovery - but I'd go for the dual boot.

Hi Pat
Being retired I may have enough time on my hands to get ito trouble, again.
I wish I could do as you suggest. I have lightly touched upon changing the size of partitions and changing letters but not enough to set this up, unfortunately.
I have accompanied a prntscrn of the discs.

Would I be updating drivers before or after I perform this change of os. As you can see by my first post there are 5 issues with the advisor.

At least if all failed, out be out $40 and could use the image to regain Win 7 as it is correct?
**I had to edit as I had an afterthought. I couldn't have 2 os on my pc as there is one license per pc or am I incorrect?

Attachments

• disc management.png
    disc management.png
    113.6 KB · Views: 352
You've got 490gb free on your C drive and only about 90GB used. I'd shrink it to about 120GB. In the free space I'd create a new primary partition of about 120GB to install the new win 8 to. In the remaining space I'd create an extended partition using all the space and create a new logical drive in it for data storage. You can do all this partitioning most easily using easeus partition manager (home edition) free from here:

Free Download Magic Partition Manager freeware: EaseUS Partition Manager, Disk & Partition Copy and Partition Recovery Software.

Install your win 8 to the new 120GB drive. After installing you will need to check out the devices in your device manager to see if there are any driver problems but chances are that win 8 will supply all that's needed.

I'd also recommend trying a free download of acronis true image from here:

Backup software for data backup and recovery | Acronis

The free trial of acronis is a full working copy but I think you'd find it so useful you might want to buy a license.

You can use it to make a full image of both your win 7 and win 8 installs complete with drivers, updates and installed software. Enables you to recover your complete system in minutes. The image could be stored on the remaining disk space from partitioning which you created as a logical partition for data storage.

There is no licensing problem involved - the windows licence is one installation for each copy purchased, not per machine.

To answer one question, the EULA says for the Upgrade, you can no longer use the sacrificial OS.

But I do think making a image backup is a good idea, if for no other reason, a problem occurs with the Windows 8 install and you have to start over. You could then, delete all the current partitions during the install and not worry about recovering. You do have an OEM install with special partitions. You would need to include those in the image if you want to fully recover. If there was any way for you to test the image, however you make, it might be a good idea. If it was me, I would make the image, replace the hard drive and re-image the new drive and then do the install. That way you always have the original in case it is needed.

If you use the Windows Backup and Restore utility, you do need another drive to hold the image, either internal or external. Images are normally around 50-60% the size of your install, so it would need a fairly large flash drive. Backing up to a network location is also a possibility.

Right now you can get Windows Media Center free for supplying a e-mail address, or you can add that feature for $9.99, I believe. This would take care of your DVD situation.

Secure Boot needs a UEFI bios, and you probably would not use it anyway.

To answer one question, the EULA says for the Upgrade, you can no longer use the sacrificial OS.

But I do think making a image backup is a good idea, if for no other reason, a problem occurs with the Windows 8 install and you have to start over. You could then, delete all the current partitions during the install and not worry about recovering. You do have an OEM install with special partitions. You would need to include those in the image if you want to fully recover. If there was any way for you to test the image, however you make, it might be a good idea. If it was me, I would make the image, replace the hard drive and re-image the new drive and then do the install. That way you always have the original in case it is needed.

If you use the Windows Backup and Restore utility, you do need another drive to hold the image, either internal or external. Images are normally around 50-60% the size of your install, so it would need a fairly large flash drive. Backing up to a network location is also a possibility.

Right now you can get Windows Media Center free for supplying a e-mail address, or you can add that feature for $9.99, I believe. This would take care of your DVD situation.

Secure Boot needs a UEFI bios, and you probably would not use it anyway.

>>So far I just created a new Acronis image which is up to date with Win 7.
If I alter partitions you are saying I could use this image to revert back to where I am now with Win 7 correct?

An image is supposed to put your drive back to the condition it was when the image was taken, like a photograph. There are some options like which partitions to include in the image.

Acronis has more options as far as partition size and such, but the drive you re-image, at least with the Microsoft utility, will be wiped and the original configuration (or what was included in the image) restored.

Again a warning. Some folks do run into problems when trying to re-image. Perhaps the image was bad or other things, so there is a little risk and the re-image may not be able to complete. That is why I suggest testing.

Edit: Pat may have more experience with backing up the OEM recovery partitions. I have never had (or kept) an OEM install in place so I have no experience with it.

Last edited:
So I shrink the free space of 490GB to 120 GB. Then create a new primary partiton of 120Gb to put Win 8 on.
Use EaseUs to set up these partitons(Could you do this withot third party?-just curious)
I have a license for Acronis which I have used for years and is current.
After reading the Eula it seems i would have Win 8 witout Win 7as it would be sacrificed. I hope it would be regained in the event of failure.
I am putting notes together to set up a plan. Having to learn partitioning is a good learning process except this is a family pc so I have to be careful and respectful of other users.

One last thing if I may.

I heard there are issues with Office.
My Dell came with Office 2010 preinstalled and I have the license numbers for it. Does anyone know anything about this?

Partitioning can be done without easeus but the integrated partitioning tool in windows has a number of limitations and I'd go with easeus. Provided that you have made a complete Acronis image and secured it on an external medium (I'd make a second copy as well but that's just a reflection of my paranoia (or should that read experience of sod's law!) you can safely go ahead with partitioning and dual booting knowing you can get back to square one with ease. The pre-installed copies of Office 2010 are invariably trials with very limited facilities.

Pat
You brought up a very important point with Office.
I paid for Office 2010 which came preinstalled with my Dell Win 7 and for which I have the prod key.
What happens to Office if I either do a clean or upgrade installation?
Can I get them back using the prod key or will I lose Office?

May I ask you one last question before it give it a try?

It seems from a relative novice's pont of view, considering debates about licences and other factors that I should follow the prompts to create a dvd from the iso.
The question is, am I better off using a clean install or an upgrade?
I ask because when you do a clean install you remove all the clutter from the pc that years have built up. But do you also lose Office under my circunstance?
Besides Office, I can't think of any other programs I would miss that I cannot install as third party.
Thank you for the help.
Peter

For the Office 2010 question see the link below - you should have no problem getting a download direct from MS or by simply downloading a trial and using your OEM key.

Netbook - Office.com

I would create a bootable dvd from the iso and run a clean install. You should be able to do this to the partition you set up for dual boot which will also avoid the problem of overwriting your copy of Office. Ultimately, if you want Office to run on your Win 8 system you can uninstall it from win 7 and reinstall to win 8.

Last edited:
For the Office 2010 question see the link below - you should have no problem getting a download direct from MS or by simply downloading a trial and using your OEM key.

Netbook - Office.com

I would create a bootable dvd from the iso and run a clean install. You should be able to do this to the partition you set up for dual boot which will also avoid the problem of overwriting your copy of Office. Ultimately, if you want Office to run on your Win 8 system you can uninstall it from win 7 and reinstall to win 8.

>>I have a Dell desktop and a year ago had a hard time locating the 64 bit Office Home and Student 2010. The 32 did not work. I don't know if i can burn a disc now(if i can find it) or if I should wait till the I get Win 8 and install with the product key then. I have tried calling MS but am not getting much help.
I don't speak french.:frown: Thank you for haging in.

Easiest thing to try first would be to just download a trial and then try the key. You could only do that if you had previously uninstalled from the win 7 installation and then you may have to contact MS to confirm you had not got duplicated installs but being on the same pc you may avoid that. Do take up the acronis option tho - you get a full working trial and if you want you can subsequently buy a license, if you find you don't need it then no bother but if you did have a problem at some stage then it is your get out of jail free card if there were a serious problem - just make sure that you copy the image you create across to an external drive so you don't have all your eggs in one basket.

The last time I did this over a year ago, all the downloads were 32 bit and did not work. I finally found a 64 bit download site which which worked.
I new this would occur again; I tried to bookmark the site but it has changed.
I might have to call Dell and MS Monday when the phones are less busy to work this out.
Sorry to try your patience but I need the 64 bit download site. This type of irresponsible issue is very disturbing as it is unecessary.

Back
Top Bottom