Windows 7 win7 install confusion

gking

I am thoroughly confused as to which copies of win 7 i need. I have a new build desktop running the rc copy of 7, 2 laptops and a netbook also running the rc and a server which all my computers are connected to. I need to know what i need specifically for the new build which has run the rc copy from the outset and the netbook which came with ubunto. I'm pretty sure i can go back to Vista and use the upgrade for the 2 laptops but can i use the os copy for the new build even though it already has an operating system on it?
I would appreciate any advice.

I think you are thorougly confused, as I am, because you are trying to handle all the computers as a group, instead of one at a time.

Every computer needs a UNIQUE official license for Windows. Win7 RC will begin its expiration process Mar 1 and terminate June 1 so you might as well start buying licenses now, or roll back to Vista on those machinces you have a legal Vista license.

Your Netbook came with Ubunto - use that, or buy a new Windows 7 license.

I have a new build desktop running the rc copy of 7
can i use the os copy for the new build even though it already has an operating system on it?
What OS copy for the new build? A new build needs a new license of Windows.

The oes copy for new builds. I saw it on Tiger direct for a cheaper price than the regular copies of win7. Can i use that even though i have the evaluation copy already running on the new build? Is there a difference between the one for builders and regular.

From what i've read i think i can reinstall Vista from the discs that came with the laptops and just upgrade from there with 2 new copies of win7 since the upgrade copies are less expensive. Is this correct? I'm trying not to have to spend a lot of money to get win7 on all the computers. Thanks for your help.

From what i've read i think i can reinstall Vista from the discs that came with the laptops and just upgrade from there with 2 new copies of win7 since the upgrade copies are less expensive.
That's true.

The copy for new builds can be used if it was purchased for that computer. If it was purchased for, and installed on another computer, you need to buy a new copy.

Is there a difference between the one for builders and regular.
Not in the program, but in the licensing. A builders (or OEM) copy of Windows is purchased to be installed on a computer being built. It is not transferable to another computer, and cannot be carried over to a motherboard upgrade either. The "regular" license, or "retail" version can be transfered to a new computer (or motherboard upgrade) as long as it is removed from the old computer and only installed on one computer. An upgrade can only be used when upgrading a "retail" version. The exception is recent machines with Vista that came with a Win7 upgrade option.

Good luck. Note on Mar 1, if still using the RC version, you will be forced to reboot every 2 hours. Then June 1, the RC version shuts down. The expectation is you will be so fed up with the required reboots that you will purchase a legal copy before June.

Thanks, just ordered the OES version after reading your post and will revert to Vista on the laptops this weekend. The netbook will have to wait since I hated Ubuntu and am unwilling to pay the full price for Windows 7 for it.

Back