Windows Vista Win7 says I'm not connected to internet...but I am

xtowelyx

For some reason, the internet access icon on my taskbar says that I am not connected to the internet. I look in the connections menu and it shows that I am connected. I would be ok with this if it didn't affect my performance. I get disconnected from the internet every so often and I think it is because of this bug as it didn't happen while using XP.

After troubleshooting, the wizard says that it found no problems.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate RTM.

Capture.png

As was said earlier, it shows that I am disconnected but I actually am online.

Do you have more than one network card on the computer? One may be unplugged and thats why you are seeing that? Check Network and Sharing Center and post a screenshot if you can.

I'm using a netbook so I don't think anything is unplugged. Not sure about the network cards, though.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but here is what I see under network and sharing center.
Capture-1.png

You would know if you have more than one because you'd have 2 RJ45 ports on the netbook. Very unlikely. You say you are occasionally losing access. Try updating the network card driver? To do this, got to the netbook manufacturer's website and look for a Windows 7 driver, or even a Windows Vista driver for now. You are probably using a compatibility driver for Windows 7 and I have had problems with Netgear adapters in the past.

If you have a built-in wireless adapter and are using a network cable this could cause the X to appear but unconfirmed right now

Well, it seems that all of my drivers are updated. Windows Update shows that I got an update to my network card but it doesn't show up in my installed updates. Should it? It says that it was completed successfully but I still have this problem with random disconnections.

I am only connecting over wi fi, if that helps.

EDIT: Netgear is the name of my home network and router. The network card is made by Atheros.

Capture-2.png

Last edited:
I have seen Multiple problems on this board with Atheros adapters enough to make me wonder if they will be okay in the full retail version. I would look seriously into changing to a more cooperative adapter if possible. I'm quite upset by this since i have one Hp laptop with one of these adapters and i have seen enough posts on this brand of adapter (lost count at 7 different people) to wonder if it will ever work. If Hp is using them they are probably low quality and poorly supported.

Back