Windows 7 Win7 SP1 Update A Disaster!

stevec5000

I just installed Win7 and was pleasantly surprised to find that it installed all the drivers for everything and it all worked fine with no problems, at first. I put in a new 1Tb drive for Win7 and saved the old drive in a USB housing to serve as a backup. I copied some program files off the backup drive and went ahead and installed some, even some written for XP and they all worked fine. Then I got a message saying that it needed to install URGENT SECURITY updates and I never installed updates for XP before
because they always broke something but I figured they must have fixed that by now too so I went ahead and let it install the updates and everything still seemed OK. The next day when I started it up I got another message saying it needed to install a dozen more URGENT SECURITY updates so I went ahead and did them too then I started to notice problems. Some of my files were now locked but it was nothing serious at first. I connected my backup and tried to copy My Documents but I got a message saying Access Denied! Then if froze for a long time and I had to unplug it. After that I couldn't open the drive anymore to see any of the files! It wouldn't let me unlock the files and folders so the only way I could find to fix it was to use a system restore point to go back to the point right after Win7 was installed to get rid of all the updates and that unlocked all the files. Someone in another forum reported the same problem also but had no solution except to use System Restore. I don't know what it did to the backup drive but I still can't access it to get My Documents but I was able to connect the drive to my laptop and copy them off onto it and was able to finally get the files but it took hours. Whatever it was that Win7 did to the drive caused a problem opening or coping .pdf files. When it comes to one of them it will just sit there for several minutes doing nothing before they can be copied but it finally did manage to get them all off. I found that you can install Win7 right off the DVD and it works fine but if you install SP1 it will screw everything up so NEVER DO ANY OF THE UPGRADES!!
Has anyone here run into that? How do I get my backup drive to be useable again?

I don't know about your problem but most here didn't have any problems with SP1 on Windows 7 and I didn't have any problems with SP1 SP2 or SP3 on XP. Maybe there was a problem with your download of SP1 if you had to install dozens of updates. Did you do the SP install with the USB drive connected? That's sometimes a problem. Also is the XP system still on the drive that you put in the external case? Maybe that added to problem. Then there is antivirus and security software that can cause problems. For a service pack I download the stand alone version, remove external drives, disconnect from web and shutdown all antivirus and security programs.
Joe

> most here didn't have any problems with SP1 on Windows 7...
Joe S you don't know what you are talking about! That can't be true since the comments on Microsoft Technet seem to indicate the SP1 update kills about 1 in 4 pc's. It's taken me all day to get rid of the lousy update and get it working again so don't let it do the update unless you are feeling lucky.
Like I said, I didn't download SP1, it wanted to do lots of updates right after I installed it.
Now that I got it working again I've turned off auto update and it's going to stay off.
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

You didn't bother to state any system specs on what you installed it on. I guess I didn't read close enough then you are saying Windows updates caused the problem but you didn't actually install the SP1 download? The majority of the members here me included have not had problems with SP1 some of us on multiple installs. Are you using a real DVD or something off the torrent sites?
Joe

SP1 update kills about 1 in 4 pc's, this is not a fact as most people who have no problems will go to Tech Net (I am a member of MS Tech Net) nor any other board to tell you they had no problems, I have always let my machines download the updates I select which updates to install. I will not install hardware updates from MS unless it is my mouse or key board as they are MS products for all others I go to the hardware manufacturer. I am sorry you hasd a problem, please note you never stated what your system specs were, sometimes these problems occur do to hardware which is not really a MS problem unless the hardware is from MS.

After reading most of the posts about SP1, I was also trying to figure out what to do. I started by installing the SP blocker, but ended up removing the entry it creates at the registry. I decided to give it a try. I made a ghost copy on my external HD after updating all drives. I have updated via windows update. Everything went fine, it took about 20 minutes and reboot was normal, actually windows seems to be faster since. That was 5 days ago. I am about to delete the backup files, since my machine seems to be better then ever. I have to agree with what I have read above. From the description it does seem to be a hardware related issue, rather than a OS software problem.

No, system specs don't have anything to do with it and you don't have to install the SP1 update because a fresh DVD right out of the box is so outdated that it starts downloading URGENT SECURITY UPDATES as soon as it has an internet connection. I think it did 43 updates the first day and about 22 more the second day then everything started to go crazy. It began locking me out of my own files with Access Denied errors then messed up the hard drive so that I had to reformat it again before I could use it. After installing it the second time and blocking any updates this time it was running better until I installed Skype but that killed IE8 and it wouldn't browse anymore. Updating to IE9 fixed it temporarilary until I installed Skype again and it killed IE9! Looks like I'll have to reinstall from scratch again. There's nothing but problems with Win7! It crashes all the time, sometime when I start a program, sometimes when I stop a program and sometimes when I remove a flash drive! Updating Internet Connection Manager caused a blue screen of death! I thought Win7 was supposed to be immune to this kind of thing but everytime I install or remove program I have to reboot! The latest problem is "Forgetting" the drivers for the Realtek audio chip. I don't care what you windows fan boys say, this program is garbage! I certainly hope Win10 is better than this.

SteveC5000
I am sorry you are having problems, but to receive help you really need to post your system specs. Also instead of going right away to update you could go to MS Com and download and install the SP1 right after installing W7. Then the only updates for W7 would be those that were issued after SP1 and any other MS software you may have installed such as MS Office.
W7 is superior to XP and has already surpassed XP in sales in the US. This would not be the case if W7 was crap. Windows 10 they are working on W8 never heard of 10.

I will say this though it looks as if you are trying to start a argument, I hope the moderator does not feel this way as he is not partial to Trolls

Thanks but I'm not wasting my time posting specs since that has nothing to do with how bad the program is and I doubt that anyone here can help if they deny there is even a problem. I posted because I was wondering what others did about all the problems because everyone who posted on MS Technet that said the program killed about 1 in 4 of the PCs it was installed on didn't say what they did to fix it or if the problems can even be fixed. I might try the whole SP1 update if I can get it to download but with IE9 screwed up it wouldn't go anywhere.
BTW, if you didn't know that Win7 comes with IE8 but the current update is to IE9 and they are releasing a version of IE10 to try I don't see how you can help anyone since you must not even be using Win7.

Thanks but I'm not wasting my time posting specs since that has nothing to do with how bad the program is and I doubt that anyone here can help if they deny there is even a problem. I posted because I was wondering what others did about all the problems because everyone who posted on MS Technet that said the program killed about 1 in 4 of the PCs it was installed on didn't say what they did to fix it or if the problems can even be fixed. I might try the whole SP1 update if I can get it to download but with IE9 screwed up it wouldn't go anywhere.
BTW, if you didn't know that Win7 comes with IE8 but the current update is to IE9 and they are releasing a version of IE10 to try I don't see how you can help anyone since you must not even be using Win7.

Moderator I believe this member is trolling

I had this problem once. The solution is applying a registry command with take ownership. Or modify the rights of the folder.

I had this problem once. The solution is applying a registry command with take ownership. Or modify the rights of the folder.
That wasn't the solution, the solution in my case was to reformat and reinstall and turn off updates. You don't want to do the SP1 update either since it kills a lot of pc's too according to all the comments on Technet.

Back