Windows 7 Window 7 Upgrade from Vista Enterprise

roneal25

I'm trying to upgrade my PC from Vista Enterprise SP1 to Windows 7. When I start the upgrade from within Vista it tells me it is copying Setup Files to my computer. Initially there is activity with the CD/DVD drive and then it stops. The screen continues to say Setup Files are copying but activity on the CD/DVD drive has stopped. I have let it sit for several hours but no change. I can't tell what is going on or what to try in order to dislodge and make progress. :(

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to upgrade my PC from Vista Enterprise SP1 to Windows 7. When I start the upgrade from within Vista it tells me it is copying Setup Files to my computer. Initially there is activity with the CD/DVD drive and then it stops. The screen continues to say Setup Files are copying but activity on the CD/DVD drive has stopped. I have let it sit for several hours but no change. I can't tell what is going on or what to try in order to dislodge and make progress. :(
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Upgrades have a high failure rate but sometimes you can get them to work if you remove every AV and Firewall and Malware type program. Often the upgrade comes to a halt because some kind of protection is detecting that something is trying to take over Vista ... which it is when you update... and it goes into action to stop it.

Norton is extremely difficult to remove. It requires their special removal tool. Most of the rest of the programs can be disabled by running Msconfig and unchecking programs loading at startup.

You will be much happier if you backup and do a clean / custom install. Upgrading carries over about 1,000 duplicated files and drivers that aren't not compatible with Win 7.

You will never regret it if you get a new hard drive. Install windows 7 to it. Then restore your personal files and software from your old drive.. then format it and CLONE to it. Should you have a drive or windows failure you can change your boot priority in your bios and pickup where you left off in 30 to 90 seconds. No problems with trying to restore a compressed backup, no data loss if your drive goes out and your backup is on another partition, no hassle getting set up and re-activated.

Uninstall Norton by using RevoUinstaller:
Link Removed due to 404 Error download the Norton removal Tool:. then run the Norton Removal Tool

Link Removed - Invalid URL

A "clean" install is the best route to take as an upgrade leaves useless files on your sys ten and can cause conflicts.

Back