Windows 10 Windows 10, cant open most windows apps e.g Mail, calculator, photos etc

Ian Ward

Hello all, I trust you are all ok! a few days ago I purchased a new Windows 10 PC (LENOVO "ideacentre") Everything was working great then all of a sudden most of the Windows Apps failed to start, from what I've seen so far - Mail, Calculator, Weather, Photos, Movies & TV ! There are probably more that I haven't tried to use as of yet.
I have spent most of the day looking on various forums for a fix, and have tried so many I forget which! And of course none worked!

Can you please assist me in sorting out this issue
Thank you very much in advance
IW

Hi Ian!
Try running the troubleshooter for Windows applications:
Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps - Windows Help -

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

Post back if the issue remains after trying the above.

kemical's on top of this one.:) Ian, follow his instructions; and one of us will get back to you shortly (in case kemical gets busy). We all check our threads throughout the day.

Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hello everybody Its nice to be part of this forum, and thank you "kemical' for the advice. I tried everything to the word, and nothing worked. I then decided as it was a new PC that a full re installation of windows 10 wouldn't be to bad as I only had very little on the PC. After the install everything seems to be working fine, and all windows apps are behaving as they should, I hope it lasts!!
Thank you again for your time
Hope you have a nice weekend
Ian W :teeth_smile:

Granted it's already fixed, in the future you can also re-install the windows apps. They are referred to as AppxPackages
  • Press the [Windows key] and type powershell and select Powershell (doesn't need to be run as admin if you are installing them only for your user)
  • follow the steps in this screenshot for each app you need to reset
app-reset.png

Last edited:
Well that does work better. The screen shot is pretty small.:rofl:Thanks friend! Good stuff!! I didn't see the full the command. It works when you put the right command in!:D

Attachments

• Capture48.JPG
    Capture48.JPG
    232.4 KB · Views: 260
Some of those apps from that link that say you can't removed can be re-installed, but they require special steps. I've been able to remove and re-install cortana.

Some of those apps from that link that say you can't removed can be re-installed, but they require special steps. I've been able to remove and re-install cortana.
I have read all your threads and replies. I'm sure there isn't many things that you can't do my friend. I love my little friend Cortana!;)
Don't mess with my Cortana!:p:D

Hi

Make sure you create a System Image file so that you have a easy recovery option.
Create one now and then update it after you install all your software etc.

It can save you a lot of hassle when something goes wrong.

I recommend using EaseUS Todo backup free version, you can use whatever you want, but be sure to do it.
Because of the way that Windows 10 recovery works it's more important then ever, since Windows 10 doesn't restore your installed software the way it would in Windows 7.

Since your setting up a new computer you have the option of not installing all your software on your C:\ drive, so think about creating a separate partition and installing your software there.

This will make backing up and restoring your Windows install fast and easy.

Mike

Back