Windows 10 Windows 10 Gaming & rendering

Cambyses

Hi there, downloaded Windows 10 over summer but did most of my gaming on my laptop. Since I Got 10 on my desktop however all games such as League of Legends and Total War games on steam seem to have a rendering issue to which there will be a message in the bottom right saying.
(Game Name say "League of Legends")
Rating: Bad/Fair/Good
Some objects render at wrong depth
Press Ctrl+Alt+Insert -to toggle this info.
I'll see if I can post an image shortly to demonstrate and as I haven't had this issue on my laptop is it monitor or desktop itself which is the cause.
N.B the render separation appears to be 3D ish with it being distinctly red and blue in layers.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm not a gamer, and this might be better answered by our Gamer Mods, but a basic question:

Prior to running your Win10 upgrade, did you remember to run the Win10 COMPATIBILITY TEST REPORT prior to running the upgrade? It checks for things like outdate GPU chipset drivers and such. This is especially important if you are running an non-OEM computer (DELL, HP, ACER/GATEWAY, ETC.) also known as a self-built computer or a custom-rig. Most people here on the forums don't know that they need to do this--often it is the first Windows OS upgrade they've ever attempted in their lives.

Next, it would be helpful for us and the Game Mods to have full specs on your computer. Please download free SPECCY from piriform.com and post resulting text file back here to this thread. This will help us to identify if you are running an outdated video driver for your GPU card or not. If so, you'll have to download it and possibly update your Motherboard BIOS and Chipset as well.

Best of luck,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Yeh guilty as charged it's my first Windows upgrade and I failed to run the compatibility test report prior to upgrading and it's an HP. Here's the paste from SPECCY.

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz 39 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
PEGATRON CORPORATION 2AD5 (SOCKET 0) 33 °C
Graphics
HP 23xi (1920x1080@60Hz)
HP 23xi (1920x1080@60Hz)
HP 23xi (1920x1080@60Hz)
1535MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (HP) 48 °C
Storage
2794GB Seagate ST3000DM001-1CH166 (SATA) 25 °C
Optical Drives
hp CDDVDW SH-216BB
Audio
IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

Aha! I knew it! No prob. It happens to many people; you're not alone as I said.

Thanks for posting your SPECCY back. It's only a partial, as the output text file would help us more, but that's a start anyway. The good news is from the temps show, your system doesn't appear to be overtemped or "cooked". This of course results in thermal damage not generally seen until a very heavy load is placed on all 4 of your CPU cores simultaneously, such as doing intensive Graphics while on the Internet in a streaming environment.

I might suggest you download a program called HEAVYLOAD, you can google it, and run that program to push both your CPUs and your GPU card to the limit. Be aware, that if you leave this program going for 24 hrs. or more continuous, it can crash your system, so you'll want to be around to keep an eye on it when you do the test. If you get partial or complete video failures while running HEAVYLOAD, I would definitely suspect the video card, and replace it with a new one of the same capacity (video RAM) and speed or better; repeat the test. If you can run the HEAVYLOAD for 24 hrs. on the new GPU card WITHOUT A FAILURE, problem solved. Repeat your Game tests, and see if that fixes the problem with the rendering issue. If it doesn't it's some other problem with your PC, and you should look at testing your other hardware, starting with MEMTEST for the RAM sticks, and SEATOOLS for your hard drive. Post back if you want the full testing procedure (it's like 4 pages).

If your RAM sticks and hard drive pass testing, I'd definitely be looking at a Motherboard issue, and think about changing that PC out. Is it still under Warranty by any chance? If so, and you do the above testing, you might tell the shop you purchased it from that it just won't handle your Gaming needs, and you'd like to exchange it for a different make/model. Expect for them to put up a fight on this even if you bring in all of your testing results and show them. You'll probably need to get the Store Manager or Owner to do this swap. Large chain stores such as Staples, Best Buy vary location to location on this; sometimes they won't do an exchange or a refund directly, rather they'll give you a Store Credit or Store Gift Card which locks you into purchasing a different computer--but still from their store!

Hope that proves helpful.
Let us know how it goes.

<<<BBJ>>> :encouragement:

Maybe a stupid question, but have you accidentally enabled stereoscopic 3d in the game or Nvidia Control app?

Back
Top Bottom