Windows 10 Windows 10 Insider Preview

Insider build settings needs attention only pops up now when I check for updates. I still can't keep it in the fast ring but at this point I don't think that is going to make a big difference.

Insider build settings needs attention only pops up now when I check for updates. I still can't keep it in the fast ring but at this point I don't think that is going to make a big difference.
Are you signed with a Microsoft Account, and it is activated?

Capture.PNG
I am signed in with Microsoft account and it is activated. I have to say I can put up with that as I really think this build is the best so far.

If you've been reading some of my posts above, you'll see that it can be a P.I.T.A to actually get it installed / activated, as I could only accomplish that by installing it as an upgrade to and earlier Insider Preview build. But once that was all worked out and work through, I wiped it and did a clean install and I have to say that now it is definitely the best working build I've seen so far.
When you say wiped, did you do that during the install or before you started the clean install?

The way the instructions are worded, it almost seems like once you have activated Windows 10 on that machine, Microsoft has a record and will show that machine as Licensed.

I really think this build is the best so far.
No doubt.
Although it gives the "Windows Insider" in me pause.
How much of an insider are we really when there are builds like this in existence and we're stuck struggling with the barely useable 10130.
There is some rumor about another leak out there 10150. I am kinda hoping we'll see something along those lines in the next public build maybe it'll drop as an ISO and Slow and Fast Rings simultaneously and as you've said then it won't matter.

That is what I am hoping for. If a new build comes out I would hate to go back to 10130 just to get it if only in fast ring.

When you say wiped, did you do that during the install or before you started the clean install?
As I've done continuously throughout this process, I booted from the install media, chose custom, deleted the existing partitions on the drive and install in unallocated space.
AND
I think you are correct.
If you examine your current product key now you might notice that it is not one of the known public keys that have been provided in the past and I suspect that now it is linked to this machine through some amalgam of Hardware IDs and stored or otherwise associated with my Microsoft Account.

If you examine your current product key now you might notice that it is not one of the known public keys that have been provided in the past and I suspect that now it is linked to this machine through some amalgam of Hardware IDs and stored or otherwise associated with my Microsoft Account.

Your right about the product key. Is this the standard key for 10147 I wonder. NJ4MX-VQQ7Q-FP3DP-VDGHX-7XM87.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also found out my windows updates is not configured according to Speccy. Not sure how to fix that. I have it set for Automatic (recommended) I must be missing something.

I also found out my windows updates is not configured according to Speccy.
Not exactly sure what the means but I wouldn't worry to much about it. Perhaps the current version of Speccy isn't compatible with the new Windows Update APIs right now, it seems that they are changing and I would think that third party programs might be having some difficulty keeping up with those changes.

Not exactly sure what the means but I wouldn't worry to much about it. Perhaps the current version of Speccy isn't compatible with the new Windows Update APIs right now, it seems that they are changing and I would think that third party programs might be having some difficulty keeping up with those changes.

That could be the problem.

I am definitely going to keep this build until another one is released. Very pleased with the way it is working for now.

When I went to the Store to Activate Windows, it showed I had the key you indicate, or at least the last set of numbers. So I have to assume that key is for the Core version. I realize you are showing a Pro version, Sonny, so not really sure.

On the .iso I downloaded, it had the Core and Pro versions available for install.

Trouble, since you allowed the install to see the prior install, I suppose I will have to try installing on a Clean drive to see if it will activate. That would show for sure if the Prior install, or the machine was responsible for the activation.

I suppose I will have to try installing on a Clean drive to see if it will activate
I was going to try that too, but....
Since you've volunteered, please let me / us know how it goes. I for one, would be very interested.
Although Sonny suggests that he had no problem at all activating a clean install on his first go round (where I did although my steps in the install were the same as always and the existing installation on that drive before I wiped it was another leaked build 10135 which may have had something to do with it if, like you said it did have a brief chance to "see it"), so at this point the experimentation is at the very least..... entertaining.

I seen they gave you a choice between the Core and the Pro. I chose the Pro because that is what I had been running all long. In Windows 8.1 and the evaluation copies.

I was going to try that too, but....
Since you've volunteered, please let me / us know how it goes. I for one, would be very interested.
Although Sonny suggests that he had no problem at all activating a clean install on his first go round (where I did although my steps in the install were the same as always and the existing installation on that drive before I wiped it was another leaked build 10135 which may have had something to do with it if, like you said it did have a brief chance to "see it"), so at this point the experimentation is at the very least..... entertaining.

Just when I thought I was through testing the builds, I am finding drawn back into it with this one. I would also be interested in the results from Saltgrass.

I just finished the clean install on this system. By clean I mean I booted to the Install media, opened a Command Prompt and used Diskpart to clean the drive. I then rebooted and continued the install. It shows Activated, so I suppose this is another vote for the activation being tied to this machine.

I have not yet logged into my Microsoft Account, but show "Fix Me" where the Fast/Slow should be. Last time, this went away as soon as I logged on with a Microsoft and will assume that will happen again. I will post back if anything different happens.

If you are doing a clean install you might want to put in this product key when it asks for it.

NJ4MX-VQQ7Q-FP3DP-VDGHX-7XM87

I just did another clean install and used it. Once you do that it will not ask you the second time for it. This key may not work for some but worth a shot if having trouble installing.

Back