Windows 10 Windows 10 Insider Preview

Another problem with the upgrade is people with say a small HD or limited space have the huge Windows old file to contend with. A lot of people added rather small SSDs when they first came out.
Joe

Not there, but a good thought. I am always logged in with a live MS account
This is my 10056 Clean install. It appears running with a Local Account, the settings will change in the Registry Key referenced. I have not rebooted or restarted, so it may go back after I do one of those operations.

Branch.PNG
Branch_Slow.PNG

Sonny, the problem with the greyed out Network Adapter configuration settings was done on purpose. Microsoft has stated such in the other forums. If the person you have been speaking to is not aware, sounds like a disconnect by those folks.

Joe, these builds are not being done in sequential order. So you may not see fixes for a particular problem during a normal progression. I get a little frustrated also since the Video problem has been there since day one, but some improvements have happened. For some reason I felt a little better when I saw the superficial improvements made to Spartan and adding the e-mail client back in 10056.

If Sonny's information is correct and the final release won't be until August, I don't think either of you will be willing to skip all of the new builds between now and then. Maybe the next official one will show some noticeable improvements. Prior to the RTM, they will have to release that same basic build to check for gotchas. We can only guess but the next 2 or 3 build releases should really have bug fixes and UI polishing being incorporated.

Saltgrass you may be right about the disconnect between them. As for the August date I hope she is right. I am just tired of spending hours downloading the upgrade and having it messed up and then have to turn around and make an iso in order to do a clean install for it to work. Don't mean to be grouchy but my patience is wearing thin.

You may want to try changing it while logged into a Microsoft account, Dave. I get mixed results when I go back and forth. Of course my system still shows Disconnect from Microsoft while logged in on a Local Account.

Does anything change in this registry key?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability

I am no longer running 10056, but it is available if I need to check it.
Coming back to this. I don't really want to mess with registry alterations in a build, just yet. From posts, it seems it can cause problems if you take the update path for subsequent builds. Anyway, I've put the 056 laptop on the back burner for the moment. I have returned to 041, and the slow ring - waiting for the next so-called "Stable" build.

Just so you will know, there was not a suggestion as to changing the Registry. Knowing whether it was changing could help in troubleshooting. Since you are using a Microsoft account it might be the unofficial build is restricted, or there may be a problem with your media. But it never hurts to wait for official builds.

I am going to keep this build to see if it picks up the next official build download or not. Since Malwarebytes found a couple of uninvited friends on my system, I think my torrent days are at an end.

I switched over to the Microsoft account and the setting seems to go back to fast after I set it to slow.

I am also seeing an update available as shown below. Since I know that is not the next official build, using 10056 seems to be putting the install into the inner circle. Of course it will not allow me to download, so it looks like my question about will it progress normally with future builds has been answered.

(TWS) fbl_impressive Professional 10061

"seems to go back to fast after I set it to slow."
Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear I am not alone!

Does anybody else get the impression with Windows 10 that there are different groups at MS doing different things and not communicating with each other before releasing new builds? Some of the bugs like the sound card have been in since the first release. I think MS did much better with Windows 7 at the start and turned a blind eye to the leaked builds then did some monitoring of discussion groups. They seemed to fix bugs much faster then. I didn't bother going past 1oo41 are any of the newer builds beginning to look like a finished product? I'd like s clean ISO instead of the upgrade mess.
Joe

Your instincts are correct. But the builds do cover different aspects of the OS, and are released in order to test those particular items for public reaction. There is also another avenue of release, to which most are not privy. That is through (selected) partners, mainly those directly involved in the IT business, and, in particular, those engaged in OEM retailing. The latter are the most important, imho, as they can see if the product, so far, is able to run on specific machines. The former, however, are the weak point, again imho. They have to ensure that the hardware is up to date, and specifically modify drivers and other software, before RTM. They are crucial to the acceptance of the final product by the public. This group were very much responsible for the bad reputation of VISTA. They saw the new OS as an ongoing product, whereas it was quite a big change from previous releases, and failed to come up with corrected software..
I imagine that the "slow" builds are the efforts made to get the pieces to work together, and the fast ring is where you take your chances on a build put out for reaction. We were warned!
At this stage, I would imagine that MS have all the feedback they need, and have now got to a stage where they need to apply themselves to the significant problems and get it all to run together.
In view of that, I am hoping that, from now, we are going to see some stable builds in the safe ring.

Last edited:
New build folks:
Microsoft has today released a new build of Windows 10 for Windows Insiders, which includes a number of features and enhancements over the last public preview build which was 10049. Build 10061 is being released today, with a load of new user-interface improvements.

Build 10061 includes a new transparent taskbar, improvements to the Start Menu and more customization options in the Settings app. The build in question is rolling out right now, so check for updates via the Settings app to get downloading.

If you can't see it yet, make sure you're on the fast ring, as build 10061 is not being given to those on the slow ring just yet. If that doesn't help, then don't worry, the update is still propagating so it will be with you very soon.
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-build-10061-now-available-windows-insiders-download-now

I won't installing it yet. A new build means back to a stable os for a spell until at least I know all is well then I will go for the download. (hopefully iso)

After I read this:
"We know this one will be a bit painful but there is a bug with this build in which Win32 (desktop) apps won’t launch from the Start menu. The workaround is to use search to find and launch these apps and pin them to your taskbar for quick access."
(Build 10061)
I'll stick with Windows 8.1.1 Pro (I went back due to hardware changes) until the next build. To be honest after all these months of using an os which doesn't work right it's actually quite nice to go back to one that does (even with the awful Start screen which to be frank never really bothered me anyway).

Ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/cant-open-win32-apps-start-menu-windows-10-build-10061-heres-why

The article is misnamed since is never mentions why, just that is was a know bug.. Video problems seem to be more important to me... Can you figure out how the picture below happened?

Tile on Game.jpg

Hmm... Borderlands 2? Possible driver corruption or overheating? Only a guess though..

Hmm... Borderlands 2? Possible driver corruption or overheating? Only a guess though..
Very good regarding the Borderlands 2, but I tried to move the Skype tile on the Start Screen. It froze and would move no further. When I closed the Start Screen, it stayed, when I started the game, it stayed. It did go away when I quit the game....

I suppose it might be related to video memory?

Oh so it did go eventually then... Persistent little bugger huh.. Does this happen a lot or was it a one off?

I think that was just a one off. It does fit right in with my 16 bluescreens in the last 2 days, just because I happened to click on the Start Button some other desktop item.

Back