Windows 10 Windows 10 Insider Preview

News albeit a tad old regarding recent updates for Win 10 10074:
Microsoft has released an update rollup (KB3061161) for Windows 10 Insider Preview build 10074, fixing bugs and improving performance. On top of that, this update rollup also enables the Dolby Digital Plus codec. Here are the key improvements that come with this collection of fixes:

• The Start menu and Cortana do not open on Windows 10 Insider Preview after upgrading from Windows 10 Technical Preview
  • Windows Error Reporting data remain in queue and are not uploaded
  • Updated versions of preinstalled apps might not install with error 0x8004264A after upgrading to Windows 10 Insider Preview
  • Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth radio controllers might not function and indicate a Code 43 error in Device Manager
  • Automatic updates might not initiate on mobile devices if an app on the device is not in the Store catalog
  • Apps that are deployed to an SD card on mobile devices might not install or open
  • This update fixes a hang that can occur when updating battery status
  • This update enables the Dolby Digital Plus codec
This update was made available on Wednesday, April 29th, buried amidst the news of Build 2015. So if you are not seeing it, you likely have it installed thanks to auto-update. Remember, in order to apply this update, you will need to be running Windows 10 build 10074, which is the latest build available as part of the Insider Program. You will also be required to reboot after installing this update. Grab this update via Windows Update or via the Settings app.
ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows...adds-bug-fixes-and-enables-dolby-digital-plus

Thank you Davehc for the link. I did just what you did and it did speed up my OS.

Last edited:
I did have to turn this one back on (Update Orchestrator Service). Without it my updates would not work.

Nice tip, Sonny
Oddly, I had NOT disabled that one. Must have been instinct from previous use

Microsoft have announced in a recent Blog the intended editions for Windows 10 and there's quite a few!

Introducing Windows 10 Editions
As in the past, we will offer different Windows editions that are tailored for various device families and uses. These different editions address specific needs of our various customers, from consumers to small businesses to the largest enterprises.

Windows 10 Home is the consumer-focused desktop edition. It offers a familiar and personal experience for PCs, tablets and 2-in-1s. Windows 10 Home will help people do great things, both big and small. With it, they will be more productive and have more fun thanks to a long list of new innovations: Cortana, the world’s most personal digital assistant; the newMicrosoft Edge web browser; Continuum tablet mode for touch-capable devices; Windows Hello face-recognition, iris and fingerprint login; and right out of the box, a broad range of universal Windows apps like Photos, Maps, Mail, Calendar, Music and Video*.

We are also bringing the Xbox gaming experience to Windows 10, giving games and gamers access to the Xbox Live gaming community, enabling the capture and share of gameplay and giving Xbox One owners the ability to play their Xbox One games from any Windows 10 PC in their home.

Windows 10 Mobile is designed to deliver the best user experience on smaller, mobile, touch-centric devices like smartphones and small tablets. It boasts the same, new universal Windows apps that are included in Windows 10 Home, as well as the new touch-optimized version of Office. Windows 10 Mobile offers great productivity, security and management capabilities for customers who use their personal devices at work. In addition, Windows 10 Mobile will enable some new devices to take advantage of Continuum for phone, so people can use their phone like a PC when connected to a larger screen.

Windows 10 Pro is a desktop edition for PCs, tablets and 2-in-1s. Building upon both the familiar and innovative features of Windows 10 Home, it has many extra features to meet the diverse needs of small businesses. Windows 10 Pro helps to effectively and efficiently manage their devices and apps, protect their sensitive business data, support remote and mobile productivity scenarios and take advantage of cloud technologies. Windows 10 Pro devices are a great choice for organizations supporting Choose Your Own Device (CYOD) programs and prosumer customers. Windows 10 Pro also lets customers take advantage of the new Windows Update for Business, which will reduce management costs, provide controls over update deployment, offer quicker access to security updates and provide access to the latest innovation from Microsoft on an ongoing basis.

As we announced earlier this year, for the first time ever, we are offering the full versions of Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 Pro as a free and easy upgrade for qualifying Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year after launch.** Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

Windows 10 Enterprise builds on Windows 10 Pro, adding advanced features designed to meet the demands of medium and large sized organizations. It provides advanced capabilities to help protect against the ever-growing range of modern security threats targeted at devices, identities, applications and sensitive company information. Windows 10 Enterprise also supports the broadest range of options for operating system deployment and comprehensive device and app management. It will be available to our Volume Licensing customers, so they can take advantage of the latest innovation and security updates on an ongoing basis. At the same time, they will be able to choose the pace at which they adopt new technology, including the option to use the new Windows Update for Business. With Windows 10, Enterprise customers will also have access to the Long Term Servicing Branch as a deployment option for their mission critical devices and environments. And as with prior versions of Windows, Active Software Assurance customers in Volume Licensing can upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise as part of their existing Software Assurance benefits.

Windows 10 Education builds on Windows 10 Enterprise, and is designed to meet the needs of schools – staff, administrators, teachers and students. This edition will be available through academic Volume Licensing, and there will be paths for schools and students using Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro devices to upgrade to Windows 10 Education.

Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise is designed to deliver the best customer experience to business customers on smartphones and small tablets. It will be available to our Volume Licensing customers. It offers the great productivity, security and mobile device management capabilities that Windows 10 Mobile provides, and adds flexible ways for businesses to manage updates. In addition, Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise will incorporate the latest security and innovation features as soon as they are available.

There will also be versions of Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise for industry devices like ATMs, retail point of sale, handheld terminals and industrial robotics and Windows 10 IoT Core for small footprint, low cost devices like gateways.

Winbeta.com has news on the latest leaked Build 10120:
According to a leaked change log for build 10120, the Music Preview and Video Preview apps have been replaced with new Music and Video apps. These two apps are now the default file handlers for associated media file types. Microsoft has also removed the Reading List app, but no immediate explanation was given.

Windows Reader app is no longer automatically installed on Windows 10, since Microsoft Edge is now the default PDF viewer. However, those interested can download the Windows Reader app from the Windows Store.
ref:
http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-10-build-10120-screenshots-leaked-edge-now-default-pdf-viewer

I posted, in the initial stages of these releases, that I (and many others), had customised and become accustomed to the use of the modern start menu.
I think this was a case where I could not see the wood for the trees!

It is still there, but presented in a different fashion. I have now customised my start menu, and grouped the items. This is barebones without, basically, any other than the programs which are built in. I wouldn't care to add to it at this stage, as it will all have to be done over again. Still, as it always was, one click away. If I hide the taskbar and eliminate my chosen desktop icons - a clean "modern" start menu.

Untitled.png

Winbeta carries an article showing leaked screenshots of the build 10120:
Earlier today, Microsoft officially released a new build for Windows 10 Mobile (build 10080). Now,screenshots of Windows 10 for desktop build 10120 have leaked onto the internet. While nothing appears to be drastically different compared to previous builds, Windows 10 build 10120 comes with a few new improvements.

Microsoft have confirmed details on the free upgrade path to Windows 10 ( for the first year ):

Windows 10 Free Upgrade Offer

There's been a lot of talk about Windows 10 being a free upgrade. For many customers, that will be true for the first year. So let's confirm the details:

• Microsoft will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices in the first year. After the first year, upgrades will be paid via boxed product and VL Upgrades.
  • Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 7 Home Basic and Home Premium devices upgrade to Windows 10 Home
  • Windows 8/8.1 Pro and Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate devices upgrade to Windows 10 Pro
  • If upgraded within the first 12 months following launch, the device will receive ongoing Windows 10 updates for free for the life of that device
  • Excludes Windows Enterprise and RT devices
  • The free Windows 10 upgrade is delivered through Windows Update; domain-joined machines can manually get the update via Windows Update. The upgrade cannot be deployed through WSUS.
Windows Update for Business

At Ignite, we announced the free Windows Update for Business service, available for all Windows Pro and Windows Enterprise devices, designed to help organisations keep their Windows devices always up to date with the latest security and features. In case you missed it, check out the blog, Announcing Windows Update for Business for what the service will provide.

//BUILD News

Announcements from the developer event included the new Microsoft Edge web browser, Continuum for phones and how Windows 10 will empower all developers and their code to develop for one billion Windows 10 devices, including iOS and Android. Four new SDKs will enable developers to start with an existing code base and distribute their app through the Windows Store. The 4 code bases are: Web sites, .NET and Win32, Android and iOS. Watch the full keynote on demand here. And register now to join us at Build Tour Sydney on Monday June 1st to get face-to-face time with Microsoft Technical Experts. Register now

And remember, if you’d like to help shape the future of Windows and contribute to Windows 10, and haven't already joined, please join the Windows Insider Program, where you can download the latest technical previews of Windows 10 and provide us valuable feedback.
Ref:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/auspartners...-the-latest-key-windows-10-announcements.aspx

From your link.
Microsoft will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices in the first year
That is the first time I have seen Windows "8" mentioned as a viable upgrade source / path. I thought that it was pretty much out of the picture. I was under the impression that if you were not running 8.1 you couldn't upgrade to 10.

I kinda knew Windows 8 was in the picture but didn't realise Windows 7 was too. Even pirates will get a look in but apparently they'll have to suffer a watermark.. Branded I guess for being bad.. :)

When Microsoft announced that Windows 10 will be offered as a free upgrade to Windows 7 and Windows 8 users, the company also mentioned that the offer will also be given to those running a pirated/unlicensed/non-genuine version of Windows.

This of course was upsetting, particularly to those who actually paid for a Windows license. Microsoft then clarified that while all Windows 7 and 8 users will be eligible for the Windows 10 upgrade, those with non-genuine copies will not get genuine Windows 10, and will still have to purchase a license to activate it.
http://www.winbeta.org/news/microso...ows-10-free-desktop-watermark-will-haunt-them

Last edited:
Still.... the word "qualified" in that statement gives me some pause.
Like, sure you can upgrade from Windows 7, but first you have to install SP1 and make sure that it is fully patched and updated. Windows 8..... come on down, OH but first upgrade to Windows 8.1.

Might be a bit nicer if we could just down load the ISO using a Windows 7 or 8 key and be done with it.
There seems to be a lot of emphasis placed upon the term "upgrade" and we all know how much we truly love upgrades. :)

This is how we got it from our local sources. It was on a social network, but seemed authorative.

Version information.

1. Windows 10 Home for consumers and BYOD scenarios, available under the free upgrade
2. Windows 10 Pro for small and lower mid-size businesses, available under the free upgrade
3. Windows 10 Enterprise for Mid-size and large enterprises, available under VL
4. Windows 10 Education designed to meet the needs of schools – teachers, students, staff, and administrators, available under VL
5. Windows 10 Mobile for consumer, small, mid-size and large enterprises and academic institutions, available under OEM

For Users taking advantage of the upgrade from Windows 7/8.1 to Windows 10:

1. Microsoft will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices in the first year. After the first year, upgrades will be paid via boxed product and VL Upgrades.
2. Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 7 Home Basic and Home Premium devices upgrade to Windows 10 Home
3. Windows 8/8.1 Pro and Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate devices upgrade to Windows 10 Pro .
4. If upgraded within the first 12 months following launch, the device will receive ongoing Windows 10 updates for free for the life of that device

Excludes Windows Enterprise and RT devices
The free Windows 10 upgrade is delivered through Windows Update; domain-joined machines can manually get the update via Windows Update. The upgrade cannot be deployed through WSUS.

The Windows 10 update will be provided to properly licensed versions of Windows 7/8.1 through Windows Update instead of the Windows Store. As was done with Windows 10 Technical Preview to Insiders on Windows 7 and 8.1.

Microsoft will also provide properly licensed users of Windows 7/8.1 with a license key, that can be used with an ISO of their version of Windows 10 for their system, instead of having to install the old OS and subsequent updates in order to perform the upgrade to Windows 10, should a clean install is necessary.

Once the update to Windows 10 has been completed, the user will be able to use the Reset or Refresh options in Windows for a fresh start with Windows 10 as required.

P.S. No mention of the watermark issue, but I would guess that would be a natural complication for pirated material. Wouldn't take to long for the hackers to remove it.

Just reading it through again. I think this bit probably covers your query:
"The Windows 10 update will be provided to properly licensed versions of Windows 7/8.1 through Windows Update instead of the Windows Store"

It seems there is some vote going on as to whether build 10122 should be released today. I suppose everyone here has voted?

Back