Windows 10 Windows 10 Insider Preview

Mark Your Calendars – Exciting #Windows10devices news starts on Tuesday

With over 75 million devices already running Windows 10, we’re excited to kick off our next chapter.

On Tuesday, make sure you tune in to see news about Windows 10 devices from Microsoft. You can watch live – starting at 10:00 am EDT – online or on your Xbox. The show will also be available on-demand. You can mark your calendar, or bookmark the livestream here.

Then, over the next few weeks, in conjunction with our partners, we will share exciting news about their new devices designed for Windows 10 at events happening around the world. Microsoft executives, including Terry Myerson, Nick Parker, Yusuf Mehdi and Joe Belfiore will join partners at their press events. Here’s the schedule:

• October 7, we’ll take the stage with HP in Barcelona
  • October 8, we’ll be in New York City with Dell
  • October 9, we’ll be in San Francisco, with ASUS
  • October 12, we’ll be in Taipei with Acer
  • October 13, we’ll be in Tokyo with Toshiba
  • October 19 we’ll be back in San Francisco with Lenovo
Stay tuned to the Windows Experience Blog for updates on the great #Windows10devices we and our partners have created!
Reference

So now to activate Windows 10 you can use your old key
Change of activation rules for Windows 10:
We have received a lot of feedback from Insiders on making it easier to activate Windows 10 on devices that take advantage of the free upgrade offer to genuine Windows by using existing Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 product keys. If you install this build of the Windows 10 Insider Preview on a PC and it doesn't automatically activate, you can enter the product key from Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 used to activate the prior Windows version on the same device to activate Windows 10 by going to Settings -> Update & security -> Activation and selecting Change Product Key. If you do a clean install of Windows 10 by booting off the media, you can also enter the product key from prior Windows versions on qualifying devices during setup.
Reference

Does that apply to Upgrades, Ross, or is it only for ongoing builds? I haven't scanned through the video.

Upgrades David. I think this is just to make the process easier.

Hmm.
I'm confused!
So, when I make an upgrade now, although it is activated, I can change it to a. product key of the earlier OS? This must mean that the earlier OS can be reinstalled, even after one year.

This must mean that the earlier OS can be reinstalled, even after one year.
If it's within the 30 day time limit then yes it will work but after the time limit has passed the only thing that can be activated is Windows 10.
If you tried to clean install or downgrade to your former os after the 30 day grace period has passed then you will not be able to activate it.

So, nothing has really changed, except when the MS bug occurs, and the upgrade find itself not activated, the old key can be used. I am wondering if that key will then be snatched anto the MS servers, as at present, or will it still be seen as the activation code which is registered to the motherboard..
Gotta admit, I am confused with this new idea.

This will also go back to the Retail key question if that key is no longer usable to install the prior OS. If you use a Retail prior version key, does Windows 10 then become a Retail version and can be moved to another system?

Right on. imho, the magnificent MS have created yet another area of confusion.

If you use a Retail prior version key, does Windows 10 then become a Retail version and can be moved to another system
Basically no.

Even if the previous licence is retail the upgrade is OEM only and cannot be moved.

Once the activation key is used regardless of what key it is the licence details stored on the activation database will be for an activated copy of windows 10. This is, as stated, OEM and will be like for like regarding Windows versions meaning if you had a Pro version then your upgrade will be a pro version but still only oem I'm afraid.

Thanks David. I wasn't exactly sure if the new rules applied but I see as of Threshold 2 they will. As you say you can already do this with the latest released build but it'll be for everyone after next months Threshold 2 release.

Last edited:
Anything exciting/interesting, in the latest build? I've dropped out of the program

Back