Windows 10 Windows 10 Pro 64bit build 17763.437 hanging to a buzzing noise

Nomad of Norad

Extraordinary Member
Okay, yesterday Windows updated my machine to version 17763.437, and after that I have had an issue where it will suddenly lock up the entire machine and go to a loud electronic-buzzing noise from the speakers, forcing me to hit the Reset button on my case. When it did this yesterday, I figured it was a video driver issue, so I downloaded and installed the latest official driver from nVidia, but today it did it again.

In both instances, I was in Second Life on the Firestorm viewer, in a music club, listening to the streaming music, and it happened within a few moments of me being there. I have been extensively in Firestorm the rest of last night, though in much less involving locations than in a music club. (The in world music clubs tend to have a LOT of visual stuff going on, like lights whirling around, and moving graphics all over the place.) Bear in mind, it has NEVER done this crash until after yesterday's Windows update, and I have gone to that exact same club for YEARS several times a week without anything remotely like this happening. I honestly don't know if its something strictly related to the streaming audio (it is literally just playing an Internet radio station), or something in the graphics-intensive activities on screen there, but again, it has ONLY BEEN doing this since the new update of Windows, so I'm guessing its a fouled up driver issue somewhere.

Where should I be looking? Is there a diagnostics program I can try running to narrow this down?

Last edited:
Well, there were some more windows updates that arrived over the next couple of days, so now I'm at OS build 17763.475, of version 1809 today. I updated all the audio drivers and some other drivers, basically everything Driver Booster 6 said was outdated. I'm still having this same crash. This time it was with the streaming station playing through winamp instead of inside the SL-style viewer.

Bah, this is getting frustrating.

I haven't tried running verifier yet, because I didn't see that message until after I'd updated the drives and had had more updates, so was hoping that would have fixed the issue, but also because I hadn't rebooted since letting the drivers be updated and wasn't sure which version of the drivers that verifier would see and test, the old ones (if they were still in memory) or the new ones. I guess I'll do that test next.

BTW, when I go to the System pane via rightclicking Start, and am looking at About, I see a yellow-exclamation next to Device performance & Health, but clicking on that line doesn't do anything.

Edit: Incidentally, late last night I also had another instance where the machine suddenly locked up. This time it didn't go BZZZZZZZZ, and I didn't have any music playing, streaming or otherwise, and I wasn't in SL. I had finished watching a long youtube video a moment before, the relevant window was still open. I had just said something in text-chat on Discord, and was about to mouse over to the add-this-to-favorites button on that video... but right at that second the machine totally hung. No noise, it just hung.

It also just happened to me a little while ago:

A short while ago, I had just gone into edit on this message, I had attached a screengrab and was just starting to type in an addendum about it when the machine hung. No BZZZZT, it just simply hung. I didn't have anything system-stressing running, didn't have any youtube videos open either. Anyway, the attached screengrab is what I was attempting then to add, it is from me having turned on Verifier, and the screengrab is from me having invoked verifier /querysettings

Attachments

• verifier output 20190509.png
    verifier output 20190509.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
I updated all the audio drivers and some other drivers, basically everything Driver Booster 6 said was outdated.

Trouble is Nomad these driver finding apps can get it wrong and they should be steered clear of.

Your first port of call should be your motherboard or laptop support page.
If the system drivers displayed there are old you can use google to find later versions although this isn't really possible with lappies as they must use the drivers supplied by the manufacturer.

Do you have any dump files at all? If so please post.

You could also try posting your dxdiag. You can find this by typing dxdiag in the run box.

Also as a last thought check your Device manager for yellow marks

Where would the dump files be?

Anyway, attached is my dxdiag
C:\Windows\Minidump

If you are absolutely certain this issue started with an upgrade of Windows... have you considered 1) rolling back (never preferred) or 2) skipping ahead to 1903 (May Update) using the Insider Program and then immediately getting off the Insider Program using the Skip ahead option?

I know that 1903 was recently pulled from but we don't really have an exact reason as to why other than some weird claim that if a USB stick was mounted the upgrade might fail (having updated several computers I have not seen this happen whatsoever). However this build seems much more stable overall.

FYI, there were also new NVIDIA drivers released yesterday here:
It does sound like some kind of hardware problem, but it will be easier to pin down if @kemical can see the BSOD dump files.

Thank you,

I can see from the errors that you had a memory leak although it doesn't mention with what plus a lot of telemetry errors.

Try running these scans:

File scans
Open an 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

See if you have any dump files using the address Mike gave above or use the app found the thread sticky on how to post about bsod's in the sction.

Okay, yesterday Windows updated my machine to version 17763.437, and after that I have had an issue where it will suddenly lock up the entire machine and go to a loud electronic-buzzing noise from the speakers, forcing me to hit the Reset button on my case. When it did this yesterday, I figured it was a video driver issue, so I downloaded and installed the latest official driver from nVidia, but today it did it again.

In both instances, I was in Second Life on the Firestorm viewer, in a music club, listening to the streaming music, and it happened within a few moments of me being there. I have been extensively in Firestorm the rest of last night, though in much less involving locations than in a music club. (The in world music clubs tend to have a LOT of visual stuff going on, like lights whirling around, and moving graphics all over the place.) Bear in mind, it has NEVER done this crash until after yesterday's Windows update, and I have gone to that exact same club for YEARS several times a week without anything remotely like this happening. I honestly don't know if its something strictly related to the streaming audio (it is literally just playing an Internet radio station), or something in the graphics-intensive activities on screen there, but again, it has ONLY BEEN doing this since the new update of Windows, so I'm guessing its a fouled up driver issue somewhere.

Where should I be looking? Is there a diagnostics program I can try running to narrow this down?
Please look for Audio control. Disable Boost input.

Well, today the machine is locking up on me a lot, typically a half hour after restarting it from the last hang. The house was a bit hot today, but other times when it was about as hot before the update it wasn't hanging.

There isn't a c:windows\minidump file or folder that I can find, and this is with hidden files set to visible.

As for Driver Booster 6, the Launch automatically at Windows startup checkbox is off.

Anyway, the air conditioner now on. I'll try the scans in a moment. (I'm posting this from a tablet.)

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Windows Forums mobile app

edit: Incidentally, I went to the settings pane for audio and speakers, the one initiated from the speakers symbol on the taskbar/tray area on the lower right, and couldn't find any option or checkbox named Boost for the currently enabled microphone. Am I looking in the wrong place? Also, for some reason, this session, I can't get that item on the task bar to respond at all. Rightclicking on it, leftclicking on it, nothing happens. No pop-up options list, nothing.

Last edited:
Well, today the machine is locking up on me a lot, typically a half hour after restarting it from the last hang. The house was a bit hot today, but other times when it was about as hot before the update it wasn't hanging.

There isn't a c:windows\minidump file or folder that I can find, and this is with hidden files set to visible.

As for Driver Booster 6, the Launch automatically at Windows startup checkbox is off.

Anyway, the air conditioner now on. I'll try the scans in a moment. (I'm posting this from a tablet.)

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Windows Forums mobile app

edit: Incidentally, I went to the settings pane for audio and speakers, the one initiated from the speakers symbol on the taskbar/tray area on the lower right, and couldn't find any option or checkbox named Boost for the currently enabled microphone. Am I looking in the wrong place? Also, for some reason, this session, I can't get that item on the task bar to respond at all. Rightclicking on it, leftclicking on it, nothing happens. No pop-up options list, nothing.
Please try instructions in post #7

Don't think its a sound issue whatsoever - not sure where that came from. Could be some kind of overheating/CPU throttling or partial mechanical failure but unsure unless the OS integrity is verified. If c:\windows\minidump is empty it could be that you are just not blue screening and the system therefor is not dumping a kernel/OS level failure to disk. Because you have alluded to the fact that this started when you upgraded, there is a legit concern that this is related to the integrity of the operating system, but because there is physical noise, it could be hardware related. Even something like the graphics card overheating and locking up the system could generate a recurring sound that would make that kind of noise. When the system becomes completely unresponsive, I surmise it could be something like the CPU or GPU entering an unrecoverable state where it is overheating. But cannot be sure until you run the scans. Also are you familiar with something like HWINFO or SpeedFan... these could give you sensor output to see if you are way over or approaching the TJMAX.

Well, it freezes to a BZZZZZZZZZZZ noise if I'm in the middle of listening to a streaming radio station, but the other times where it just randomly froze up, it didn't make any noises like that. it simply, quietly, froze up, but in those instances there wasn't anything playing any sound.

In any event, I've gotten as far at about 73% complete on sfc /scannow so far.

Well, it freezes to a BZZZZZZZZZZZ noise if I'm in the middle of listening to a streaming radio station, but the other times where it just randomly froze up, it didn't make any noises like that. it simply, quietly, froze up, but in those instances there wasn't anything playing any sound.

In any event, I've gotten as far at about 73% complete on sfc /scannow so far.
Try to take into account the exact time when this happens and consider familiarizing yourself with Event Viewer in Windows.. it is very likely errors are being generated there, but it is hard to diagnose like this without offering a remote access service (We have thought about it - but too many liability issues). In any case, check Event Viewer also and see if you see a very large number of errors one after the other around the time the system freezes. These will be marked in red under Windows Logs - System and, perhaps, equally as important in Windows Logs -> Applications. You'll see a lot of warnings and information but these can usually be dismissed. Even some errors are normal, but not if they are in rapid succession and around the time the system freezes or froze. This can lead to further information to track down the problem. Normally the scan you are doing takes a very long time so don't be overly concerned about that.

Last edited:
Thank you,

I can see from the errors that you had a memory leak although it doesn't mention with what plus a lot of telemetry errors.

Try running these scans:

File scans
Open an 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

See if you have any dump files using the address Mike gave above or use the app found the thread sticky on how to post about bsod's in the sction.

Okay, sfc /scannow yields "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

I am initiating the second action now.

As for the times when the machine locked up to BZZZZZZZZZ, they were both in the 5pm hour.

How do I get to Event Viewer again? And are the logs something I can export and post here?

Okay, sfc /scannow yields "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."
And DISM? Did you run this scan or not?

If there doesn't appear to be any dump files then you'll need to change your settings so that they're created when the machine bsods.
Open the run application.
Type sysdm.cpl in the run box and click ok.
Look across the top of the system properties box for 'Advanced' and click that.
Look for 'Startup and Recovery' near the bottom and click 'settings'.
Near the bottom you'll see a drop down menu under the heading 'write debugging information'.
In the drop down menu choose ' small memory dump (256KB)'
Under 'small dump directory' make sure it says %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
Click ok and your good to go.
How do I get to Event Viewer

What Is the Windows Event Viewer, and How Can I Use It?

Yeah, dism blahblah blahblah was what I initiated next, and was running when I sent that post, I just didn't want to type all that glop into the message. ;D

Event Viewer was something mentioned in message #12. Anyway, dism finished without finding any issues. As for the settings instructions you gave for me to set in system properties, it seems they were already set to that.

Anyway, the machine hung again as I was starting to type this.

edit: And for clarify: I've not had any BSODs in ages, so that's probably why there's nothing in any minidump dir or file.

Attachments

• sfc and dism scans 20190510.png
    sfc and dism scans 20190510.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 183
  • startup and recovery settings 20190510.png
    startup and recovery settings 20190510.png
    24 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Yeah, dism blahblah blahblah was what I initiated next, and was running when I sent that post, I just didn't want to type all that glop into the message. ;D

Event Viewer was something mentioned in message #12. Anyway, dism finished without finding any issues. As for the settings instructions you gave for me to set in system properties, it seems they were already set to that.

Anyway, the machine hung again as I was starting to type this.

edit: And for clarify: I've not had any BSODs in ages, so that's probably why there's nothing in any minidump dir or file.
Check Event Viewer logs, theyre hard to export and import across machines, but check and see if you see any prominent errors during this crash. At this point its either a critical driver failure or most likely, hardware failure. I would literally pull off the case and check to see if all the fans are running. Seriously. Also get:

Run it sensors only and check the temps

Either do that or get SpeedFan and essentially do the same thing, although HWINFO is much more reliable. Its just a complex software where you definitely want to use sensors only and get Celsius readings off the CPU and GPU.

And @kemical was right to run both as this would theoretically repair any corrupt operating system file were Windows to be compromised. Also look at it this way - every time your system freezes in this manner there is a remote, but increasingly plausible chance, you are going to have irreparable damage to your file system and lose access to the entire system. So you need to address this, find out whats wrong, and isolate what hardware component is failing.

I have installed and am running HWINFO, and I don't see any obvious overheating.

Anyway, the time I seem to have hung the last time was at 9:23pm, but there are no obvious things showing up at that time on the Event Viewer logs. I''ve not really checked the other times yet, but from the chatlog I can tell I locked up on May 7th at 5:51pm, May 8th at 5:07pm, and May 9th at 5:13pm. I have included the event viewer file in three formats.

edit: bah, its only allowing the .txt format, not the .evxt or the .xml versions. 0o
edit2: okay, I put the others in a zip
edit3: Well, looking through the event logs at those specified times, I don't see anything at all showing up at those times under the System stuff, and there's nothing at all related to it in the Applications section, most of the logs in the Applications section are in fact blank.

Attachments

• Event Viewer - System - 20190510.txt
    665.3 KB · Views: 688
  • EventViewer-System-20190510.zip
    236.4 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
The only real changes I made was letting Windoze update itself to 1809. And then updating some drivers. I mean, I don't really see installing a check-the-drivers-and-update-them doodad as a big change, particularly since I don't think that one even launches with the system at startup. Well, it can, but I turned that off. I think. 0o

If you did an 'upgrade' install then I'd reccommend you do a proper clean install using the windows 10 iso. The upgrade process can introduce bugs and if your system was running fine before the upgrade I'd bet my bottom dollar it's probably the upgrade process which has brought about the lock ups.

You can download this from here:
Download Windows 10

A good tip is to use the media creation to download an iso and iso only. Don't bother with the usb option as this route often breaks.

Once you've downloaded the iso use Rufus to install to usb or burn it to disk using wwindows.

Just to add, don't worry about activation and product keys, just click i don't have one when prompted. You will automatically activate when you go back online as your key is now stored online.

Back