Windows 10 Windows 10 update and Defender

gtatler

I used to use Microsoft Essentials for anti-virus. Seems that with 10 this has now become defender.

My question is :- Windows update is supposed to update Defender, but the last definition file is dated 8th August - the day after I upgraded to 10. Essentials used to update on a daily basis. Running an update check states system is up to date.

What's happening ? Am I covered for anti-virus ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Something not right. I have four defender updates since then.
Meanwhile, to be safe, open the Windows Defender manually and select the update tab, then update manually.

Something not right. I have four defender updates since then.
Meanwhile, to be safe, open the Windows Defender manually and select the update tab, then update manually.

Have done that, but no updates downloaded. I have even downloaded and saved the file from Microsoft web site. Ran the file, but no change !

I tried it on Windows 7 and had problems with it stopping so I dumped it and went to Avast free. MS doesn't do well when tested against commercial products.
Joe

Davehc. Stupid me. The date format was not set for the UK and the first digit on the date display in Defender was 8. I took this to be the day, but in fact it was the month (August). Now corrected to show dd-mmm-yy so there will be no confusion, and Defender is in actual fact up to date with file number 1.203.1837 as of 10th August 2015.

Last edited:
Not so stupid. I live permanently in a country, where I am not 100% familiar with the language. I often have problems sifting through date formats: currency..etc.

Back