Windows 10 update and Defender

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Help and Support' started by gtatler, Aug 10, 2015.

1. gtatler

gtatler Active Member

I used to use Microsoft Essentials for anti-virus. Seems that with 10 this has now become defender.

My question is :- Windows update is supposed to update Defender, but the last definition file is dated 8th August - the day after I upgraded to 10. Essentials used to update on a daily basis. Running an update check states system is up to date.

What's happening ? Am I covered for anti-virus ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP
    Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Something not right. I have four defender updates since then.
    Meanwhile, to be safe, open the Windows Defender manually and select the update tab, then update manually.

3. gtatler

gtatler Active Member

Have done that, but no updates downloaded. I have even downloaded and saved the file from Microsoft web site. Ran the file, but no change !

4. Joe S

Joe S Excellent Member

I tried it on Windows 7 and had problems with it stopping so I dumped it and went to Avast free. MS doesn't do well when tested against commercial products.
    Joe

5. gtatler

gtatler Active Member

Davehc. Stupid me. The date format was not set for the UK and the first digit on the date display in Defender was 8. I took this to be the day, but in fact it was the month (August). Now corrected to show dd-mmm-yy so there will be no confusion, and Defender is in actual fact up to date with file number 1.203.1837 as of 10th August 2015.

#5 gtatler, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  6. davehc

davehc Microsoft MVP
    Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Not so stupid. I live permanently in a country, where I am not 100% familiar with the language. I often have problems sifting through date formats: currency..etc.