Windows 10 Windows 10 updates are mandatory setting

ussnorway

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Windows 10 updates are mandatory setting

Background: I've been running a V-w10 on my home hyper-v server for three weeks now and for the most part it's a stable system. The only issue I have is the automatic updates… not happening on my watch but I do allow the system to look for and advise me of updates, which I then typically allow the system to download i.e. at a time I'm ok with.

My question; am I the only one that has a problem with allowing Microsoft to do updates without my prior consent… yes I know it is only the demo at this time and I'm not asking people to burn their bras over it, one way or the other but I am curious to hear from other actual users instead of people paid to express a company view.

I will manually check for updates and then hide the ones I don't want.

But, of course, during a test program the updates should be allowed for Microsoft to get the feedback as to how they work, and how the update process in general works.

I am running mine on a real system. I do not know if the problem I encountered would have shown up on a Virtual install.

As Saltgrass says. I think MS want feedback on standard procedures. This probably includes knowing that all users giving feedback, are on the same plateau. Naturally, they would want to know what effects the updates have on different computers/configuration. Doesn't bother me - until the RTM !!!!

Thanks for your input guys but I think I need to clear something up;

Let the windows 10 demo have its updates is fair enough… my issue is the default setting has the system just grabbing them without asking.

Not me personally but many folks still have a slow or limited internet availability and these people need to watch their download meters towards the end of the month, perhaps do their internet banking and presumably (legally) get torrents… ime having a windows system that just decides NOW is a great time to download those 300 mb of patches, isn’t smart design.

Last edited:
Hmm1 Tongue in cheek on this one. The original blurb from MS, did specify that they wanted only testers with a very good knowledge of Windows, and that there would be a great number of updates. See here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-faq#faq=tab0

There were several third party follow ups. This one says it all:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2690...tech-preview-keep-these-7-things-in-mind.html

The point I am trying to make is that those with the problems you suggest, should only be testing if they feel the (unlikely) need. In most cases, I would suggest that it is only for early curiosity.

Hi

I'm accepting all the updates, (I make a lot of image files) but I did hide the updates for my sound and blue tooth drivers.
I've had issues when updating the sound drivers so I'm leaving it the way it is.

Otherwise I just update and keep my fingers crossed.

I'd like to see one that fixes the keyboard lights though.

Buy the way I ordered a new Microsoft Natural Elite 4000 keyboard today, my friends quit working and while looking it up for him I discovered that the are down to $25 now at Amazon.

My old one has seen better days so for that price I'll get a new one.

Mike

Mm looks a bugger to clean but for $25 probably the best solution… you have checked that the little light bulb isn't just popped I assume?:oops:
mk_nek4000v2_large.jpg

A peculiar anomaly. I have just installed , from the ISO, 9879, for a colleague. His computer has not been loaded with any earlier builds. After loading, and arriving at the desktop, I went quickly to the updates. None waiting at that stage. So I "checked for updates", a whole load of the monthlies came down, with the definition updates. I was able to hide, or uncheck., but I let it go ahead.
It seems to be a way, for those determined, to bypass the compulsory installation requirement.

Mm looks a bugger to clean but for $25 probably the best solution… you have checked that the little light bulb isn't just popped I assume?:oops:

Hi

Are your keyboard lights working in Windows 10?
I'm referring mainly to capslock, but my scroll Lock and several others don't work either.

Some like Flock do work.

I didn't think that anyone running Windows 10 had working lights right now.

I've use a natural keyboard ever since they came out.
I like the Microsoft one the best, this will be my third one of those.
It has features that I actually use, like the key that opens the calculator, but I wish they made one with lighted letters and numbers on the keys.

It really drives me crazy to have to type on a straight keyboard now.

Mike

Last edited:
Back