Windows 11 Windows 11 Dev Channel: You can not roll back to Windows 10 after 10 days

Mike

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
Explanation: So, at least for now, once you join the Windows Insider Program and join the DEV Channel, you will NOT be able to revert back to perform a roll back after 10 days. That is how long Windows internally keeps a backup of the previous OS installation. So the Windows Dev Channel is a ROLLING release, and unless they add some way to jump off to a beta release (or something), you will be stuck on the dev channel until you clean install. And this reversion will send you back to Windows 10 (there is no finalized Windows 11 release to the public at the time of this writing). ... as @kemical has reminded me...

You should therefore (and this is best practice in general) BACK UP your operating system installation, and, be prepared to lose everything, just in case you want to go back to Windows 10.

Of course, one must say that the Dev Channel was intended as a release channel for DEVELOPERS, but one might say it is being used as a RELEASE PREVIEW, hence the absolute confusion that some people are in regarding this.

Unless it doesn't matter to you. PSA! Thoughts?

Hello Mike. You wrote:

>>You should therefore (and this is best practice in general) BACK UP your operating system installation, and, be prepared to lose everything, just in case you want to go back to Windows 10.

10 stars to you, you really agree with my process. I clone all my machines and I am surprised that it is not done more. If I were to try W-11, I would for sure have cloned my trial machine, but I will not try W-11 as none of my faithfull machines honours secure boot or UEFI.
But the caution is nevertheless valid. I fool with my machines enough, not really knowing all the innards of W-10, that I at times am left with a blue/black screen. Out comes the clone and in 15 to 20 minutes, I am back up an running.
This would be my solution for rolling back out of Dev channel and a sorry W-11 installation. FWIW. A great day to you. Daopa.

Back