Windows 7 Windows 7 64-bit uses too much RAM...

Thanks for the pictures. Windows 7 does exactly the same on my computer. I have ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB, but under advance options is shows 2302MB available memory. Anyway, my system still uses 1.3Gb of RAM even when NO PROGRAM is running.

Thanks for the pictures. Windows 7 does exactly the same on my computer. I have ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB, but under advance options is shows 2302MB available memory. Anyway, my system still uses 1.3Gb of RAM even when NO PROGRAM is running.

Thanks for the reply. I don't know why Windows will "grab" additional ram for video unless it needs it for aero? But I wonder if other video cards will have the same issue for example nvidia. But anyway I just turned off superfetch and that freed up what was cached ram. I have no clue.:confused: Maybe there is a memory leak for 64 bit verson.:eek: Or, virtual memory? But I know virtual memory deals with the pagefile on the hard drive. Any ideas will be great to solve this mystery.:redface::redface:

I'm just quesing there is actually a memory leak. It's possible

Kyle, i tried that the moment you posted. It didn't do a thing. Still the same.

Sounds like an issue on your end then, mine's running peachy. I'll throw up a screenie in a moment.

i1bu55.jpg

Gotta be either what you're running or settings.
739 idle.

Last edited:
I would say, Sonic, that you should take a look under the startup tab in Msconfig.
Looking at you OP and the processes, you seem to have quite a few things running there. A lot of third party programs, automatically put there 'exe's in there, when they are not needed resident, and could be started manually, when required. I admit this can be according to your personal needs.
I suppose you have "Paint" running to post the picture? Sidebar? Where did that come from? If you manipulate your graphics card for, example, playing graphics intensive games, the the CCC may have some use. Otherwise, it does nothing that 7 cannot itself do, and need not run resident. It is a resource user. Others. Xfire? bittorrent? Neither need be resident. BTdna is part of that program.
Have a look and remove some of the xtras and I think you will get back to normal

Is there possibly any program out there, that like, stops unnecessary processes? I think i have heard of it, but i'm not quite sure about it.

If you post a screenshot of your Msconfig - start up tab here, I am sure you will get some good advice as to what you can stop.

Interesting. Very interesting. In run i typed MSconfig and found those processes and programs. I checked Enable all, restarted computer and problem solved..strange. Well i'm glad everything is working like it should.:D

Link Removed due to 404 Error

I have to say that now I am REALLY confused. If you have enabled all, you have surely increased the load.

Sonic. Did you try and eliminate anything under the startup tab in Msconfig?

I have attached mine, but I must confess to being a puritan. I do not find a great deal of value in having too many programs resident, and keep them all on manual.
The real answer to this thread, really is, if you have sufficent stored memory, and you are happy with the performance, then why worry! But, keep in mind that, particularly with Windows 7, any memory you have to spare will be very efficiently used.

1.4 GB of standard usage thats pretty normal really. For me at least. My vista machine uses 1.6 GB ram all the time at "idol" And yes its probably because I have "super fetch" on (im not sure if thats what its called in vista, but i know it has something that works kinda the same).

Really if you don't see a performance decrease, who cares how much ram is being used, if its their why not use it all the time?

Unless you have under 2gb ram, you shouldn't be too concerned.

With many desktops under $600 coming with 3gb or more ram, I think its a smart move by ms to exploit the resource available.

"Really if you don't see a performance decrease, who cares how much ram is being used, if its their why not use it all the time?"
That could be a moot point?? If the user installs his favorites such as Itunes, quicktime etc, all running resident, he may never have seen what performance that the computer's OS is capable of, and could possibly not be in a postion to assess a decrease??

Don't know why most of you guys have large amounts being used, mine i caught at 808mb at idle with 4gb ram :S

Link Removed due to 404 Error

Non-geek warning.
I recently reinstalled Windows7 RC1 64bit. My computer is nothing special but it does have 8Gb of RAM. Hey, RAM was cheap.
I have three items in startup: mouse driver, NVidia driver, Avira antivirus.
In my programs installed listing in the control panel there are only 11 entries.

When I boot and turn on the Task Manager my usage bounces around at 1.4Gb to 1.6Gb of RAM but the processor usage is up so I assume it's taking care of business. I wait, perhaps two minutes, and the CPU usage drops to zip and the RAM usage is between 950Mb and 1Gb. I tried it without the antivirus turning on when I boot and it didn't make a noticable difference.

Just had a look at my memory usage . Link Removed due to 404 Error

My memory usage is the one on the right :) That is accessing this forum . Running Utorrent . No services disabled on my computer .
I have four gig of ddr2 .
I would not call the drain on my memory excessive

Last edited:
Back