Windows 7 Windows 7 audio not working?

LittleMiss

I have read about this happening a few times but none of the threads seem to have helped.

I have an HP m7170n desktop and I installed Win 7 32-bit. When I run device manager on the PC it shows two errors under other devices, one "ethernet controller" and the other "multimedia video controller". I am assuming these have nothing to do with the sound, but then again - I am a noob when it comes to the guts of my PC.... under sound, video and game controllers it shows "high definition audio device" but there is no error, shouldn't this mean I should have sound?

I am not too sure what brand my sound card is so I downloaded Belarc Advisor to see if I could find my device type and it only says high definition audio device... would there be a universal driver software I can download? Or does this PC type have a brand name audio device that just isn't showing? I'm thinking maybe it only says that because I haven't installed a driver for it, yet?

I actually tried that by downloading the drivers and putting them on a flash drive to install onto my PC before I got my wireless working... it gave me an error and never installed.

When I go down to the sound part - there is a little red X over it and I can't do anything with it. Also, when I go to device manager and try to update, I still have no sound. I think i'm about ready to just give up and re-install XP on this old junk, lol.

Yea, purchasing anything to fix this not really an option for me. I'd rather just go back to where it was and eventually get a PC that comes with 7 on it. Thanks, though.

I actually tried that by downloading the drivers and putting them on a flash drive to install onto my PC before I got my wireless working... it gave me an error and never installed.

When I go down to the sound part - there is a little red X over it and I can't do anything with it. Also, when I go to device manager and try to update, I still have no sound. I think i'm about ready to just give up and re-install XP on this old junk, lol.

Have you tried running widows update? Sometimes it will find drivers that are impossible to find eleswhere...

Hmmm, yea - living without sound means I live without my music and video editing... which is not going to happen.

Windows Update has been run with the optional updates installed but it still isn't remedying the problem. It's overly frustrating and more than I feel like dealing with, lol.

Like I said, I can deal with going back to XP - it's not like my Windows 7 is going to vanish into thin air, LOL! I'll always have the install disk.

Sorry I see that the update utility was already suggested.. After rereading your post again I see your a little unsure as to what sound solution your running.. This app here: Lavalys - Comprehensive IT Security and Management has a free trial and will most likely be able to tell you what your hardware is..
If you then post back with the name perhaps a driver (probably a vista one) could be found?

Maybe this page will help. Especially the "Known issues after upgrading"

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Hi can you do this for me please! Device Manager>Right Click on the Device that has problems with the driver>Properties>Details and on the Drop Down TAB please choose Hardware ID(Please post it here).You can alsto try this: in the control panel go to Action Center>Troubleshooting>Click on Troubleshoot Audio Playback it will check what seems to be the problem with the sound.

kemical - is that program anything like the Belarc Advisor? I am running the download now and will throw it on my flash drive to install it.

A little bit i guess... I've never used the app you've mentioned although after looking at their web site there are similarities.. :) I'm not sure how detailed Belarc is but everest pokes it's nose into everything..

Last edited:
Back