Windows 7 windows 7 back to vista

xXxT4NKxXx

hey my friends talked me into downloading this trash i hate it im about to hang myself with the pc cord i am trying to get back to vista i had xp on this pc befor but like i said friend talked me into download this instead of vista so i did like a jacka$$ and now im trying to get to vista i have the disk to install it but everytime i put the disk in my drive it comes up fine but when i hit install not 1 thing happends i am about to go ape well you know the rest some1 please help me and tell me what i can do to get this trash off of my pc befor i burn it to the ground :mad::frown::confused::eek:

Let me guess, you didn't back up your system first.

You're *%$#&'d. Re-install your previous OS from scratch (clean install).

Can't help much without more information

Hello T4NK. Really, you haven't given anyone much information to help you with. We need to know a bit about your equipment. We need to know some details about HOW you are trying to install Vista. What kind of disk are you using (full install, upgrade, etc.) From your note, it sounds that you went from XP to 7 and now want to install Vista. Do you have a full version disk of Vista, upgrade disk, or what? Are you trying to do a clean install or are you attempting to do an in-place migration retaining all your files and applications?

Little personal opinion here! If my understanding is correct that you replaced Windows XP with Windows 7 and don't like it: you d**m certainly will not like Vista. Many Vista users are "chomping at the bits" to get Windows 7 to get rid of Vista. It is almost universally agreed that Windows 7 fixes, or at least patches the majority of Vista's problems and nuisances.

Give us a bit more information about what you are trying to do and maybe we can offer some help.

here is the funny as part lol going to make you lol i dont have the disk for the old OS lost it in the move from texas to oregon and nope i didnt backup my system first

Naw, that doesn't make me wanna laugh, but cry for ya.

This is a rhetorical question but I need to ask it; Why would you get rid of (delete, overwrite, update, etc) a working OS and replace it with a "release candidate"? You do realized that it will expire and shutdown next year, right? Always put this type of software on a spare HDD first. It's only meant for examining and testing, not for replacing your existing OS.

hey yeah i had xp i have vista on my laptop and its a full install of a custom vista works great have used it befor on friends pcs i have a dell xps 400 1.50 g ram with 4 cpu 3.20ghz and really that is all i know and im trying to just install the custom vista over the 7 like i said the instal menu comes up but i can click it all day but when i put it into my laptop it works just fine so i know its not the disk have no clue what is going on ever since i put 7 on here my dvd burner wont work i have soming up with a PCI input device has a ? next to it and i go to upgrade and nothing so i really have no clue on what to do im at a stand still

really i dont know why friend talked me into it he said its cool i have to try it and was lookin for something new i guess but somthing cool came back as a huge stress god bad week to stop smoking lol

Does your Dell have a system recovery partition? (I'm a little confused as to which system you're trying to restore.)

Make sure to back up your files before using it, though, because it restores the PC to the original factory state.

Hello and Welcome to Windows7forums.. :)

Ok so first of all you didn't back up your system.. (which was your first mistake).. second you listened to a friend (which was your second mistake) and third you didn't do a clean install.. ;)

So as previously said, your going to have to do a clean install and since you don't have your original OS disk you'll have to reinstall Windows 7.. Now, your bitching about 7 why exactly? If you did an upgrade then there's no one to blame but yourself.. ;) You can't expect things to work 100% after doing an Upgrade install.. I'm not saying it's impossible but it's very rare..

If you did happen to not erase the recovery partition then you can always restore that and use Vista again.. I still don't see why you want Vista over Windows 7 though? If you did an Upgrade instead of a clean install then you really haven't even given Windows 7 a chance..

Windows 7 is by far much better then Windows Vista and XP for that matter..

Ok so first of all you didn't back up your system.. (which was your first mistake).. second you listened to a friend (which was your second mistake) and third you didn't do a clean install.. ;)

So as previously said, your going to have to do a clean install and since you don't have your original OS disk you'll have to reinstall Windows 7.. Now, your bitching about 7 why exactly? If you did an upgrade then there's no one to blame but yourself.. ;) You can't expect things to work 100% after doing an Upgrade install.. I'm not saying it's impossible but it's very rare..

If you did happen to not erase the recovery partition then you can always restore that and use Vista again.. I still don't see why you want Vista over Windows 7 though? If you did an Upgrade instead of a clean install then you really haven't even given Windows 7 a chance..

Radenight you are a moderator in the truest sense of the word the apostle of patience i applaud you!

Radenight, Did I misunderstand him that he went from XP directly to 7, and now wants to go to Vista (which it never had to begin with)? This got so complicated that I really didn't know how to advise him. I wonder if he is trying to install Vista from the recovery disk that came with his laptop that he mentioned. He stated that he lost the XP disk that came with the subject computer, which probably was a recovery disk anyway. Having gone directly from XP to 7 (If I understand him correctly on that), he probably did not do an in place installation, but did a clean install. He's probably going to need a full retail copy of whatever OS he wants to install at this point.

I really think his best option is to reinstall his Windows 7 RC and live with it for a few months.

edit: peruse post #6 in this thread carefully and see what you get from it. I don't understand what "Custom Vista" would be.

If I read the posts from xXxT4NKxXx correctly, he has 2 different PCs. One is a Dell desktop XPS 400 that had XP on it and the second a laptop with Vista. He lost the XP disk from a move from Texas to Oregon.

He installed W7 on the XP desktop using a download he burned to a DVD. He hates that and wants to get back to either XP or Vista. Since he doesn’t have an XP install CD, he is trying to use the Vista CD/DVD from his laptop (CD content was not stated). I suspect he is posting here using the laptop which still works correctly with Vista.

He is trying to use that Vista disk to install Vista over the current existing W7 install on the desktop and getting errors. Since he has no backup, doing a disk reformat is probably not a good choice, even if the Vista CD is one that supports clean installs and not just a recovery disk. It also sounds like W7 now no longer boots either given the try at Vista over it.

It seems 3 clear choices, and a few other less clear options:

• Reinstall W7 and grin and bear it until a better choice for either XP or Vista becomes available
  • Figure out how to install Vista using current or a different CD
  • Figure out how to install XP, using a new disk from some source.

If it were me, I’d remove the hard drive, mount on a different system, and back up all that is there before trying any of these 3 or any other choices. Maybe a friend has a PC with some extra storage that can be used.

Ed

Radenight, Did I misunderstand him that he went from XP directly to 7, and now wants to go to Vista (which it never had to begin with)? This got so complicated that I really didn't know how to advise him. I wonder if he is trying to install Vista from the recovery disk that came with his laptop that he mentioned. He stated that he lost the XP disk that came with the subject computer, which probably was a recovery disk anyway. Having gone directly from XP to 7 (If I understand him correctly on that), he probably did not do an in place installation, but did a clean install. He's probably going to need a full retail copy of whatever OS he wants to install at this point.

I really think his best option is to reinstall his Windows 7 RC and live with it for a few months.

edit: peruse post #6 in this thread carefully and see what you get from it. I don't understand what "Custom Vista" would be.

I agree, his best option would be to reinstall the Windows 7 RC.. ;) Don't worry about misunderstanding the post, it was a rather confusing post.. ;)

As a Die-hard Mac user I thought I'd never go back to Windows ever again. I stopped the Windows thing back in the ME days and have been running OS X for years. I recently bought a new Vista laptop for my wife to use to "surf" (she's an Ebay nut) while laying in bed. I installed Windows 7 on a second partition about a week ago and WOW! I'm impressed! Actually haven't touched my G5 system since... I do a lot of music recording and finally installed my interface drivers, a decent DAW and started testing out Win 7 and recording. VERY STABLE and works flawlessly. Heck - might switch back 'eh. ;) WELL DONE Microsoft - I'm lovin' it.

hey my friends talked me into downloading this trash i hate it im about to hang myself with the pc cord i am trying to get back to vista i had xp on this pc befor but like i said friend talked me into download this instead of vista so i did like a jacka$$ and now im trying to get to vista i have the disk to install it but everytime i put the disk in my drive it comes up fine but when i hit install not 1 thing happends i am about to go ape well you know the rest some1 please help me and tell me what i can do to get this trash off of my pc befor i burn it to the ground :mad::frown::confused::eek:

Back up your stuff online:

Dropbox - Home - Secure backup, sync and sharing made easy.

Online Backup, Computer Backup Software & Remote Backup – Carbonite.com

Buy a 64GB USB drive or something... you don't have to lose anything once you find your Vista disc or get the final version of Windows 7.

What did he say???

Ummm, but, seriously...

1. I have sure read a lot of queries, in this Forum & another in which I, also, write, flowing from someone switching a non-beta OS on a computer to a beta OS... you're not supposed to do that, kiddies, tsk, tsk, tsk!!

2. I have no clue what "Custom Vista" means but, you cannot "write Vista over Windows 7"

3. I, too, cannot phathom why after Windows 7 anyone would want to go backwards!!

4. Certainly the only way you to get the XP back would be buy a Full Version XP CD & rebuild that machine (why you'd want to, we aren't sure)

5. To go backwards to Vista. (Not sure if there's a dual-boot scenario here or not) If, again, the non-beta OS was replaced by a beta OS plus, we are trying to go backwards/downgrade then, take the Vista media & do a clean rebuild w/ that.

OR I've misunderstood the entire affair & none of the above applies... trying to clarify it in my own mind but, basing things on info that is all a bit of a blur, really.:confused:

Trying so hard here... :frown:

Regards,
Drew

Drew, I think you understand this situation exactly as I do. XP to Windows 7; now wants to go to Vista. (would one simply get an error message if they tried to perform an in-place install from XP to 7, or would they get a totally screwed up installation of 7? I don't like to use the term "upgrade" in this operation because, in Microsoft terminology, when one replaces one OS with a later one, it is an "upgrade" regardless of whether a "clean install" or an "in-place" install.) I never heard of a "custom Vista" either, so I have no idea of what he has. I wanted to recommend professional help for him, (professional=Local Computer repair technician) but stopped short of saying it. I suspect he has a Vista recovery disk that came with his Vista notebook and that would explain why it will not install Vista on the desktop that he installed 7 on. I believe the only choices he has at this point to salvage his existing computer is a) reinstall Windows 7 (format and clean install), b) purchase a full retail boxed copy of whichever OS he intends to stay with (format and clean install), or c) enlist the services of a local computer professional.

The OP made several mistakes. The first was that he evidently tried to do a upgrade of Win7 RC over XP. We all know that will not work. If he tried to do a clean install of the RC he clearly did not bother to check if there were going to be any driver issues, etc. Had he run the Upgrade Advisor first he could have avoide all of this. Now, even to do an install of thw RC he needs to check for driver issues before trying to install Win7.

Sounds like the system he is/was trying to put Win7 on needs some updates before it will be ready for Win7.

Could a "Custom Install of Vista" mean less than legal?

Back