Windows 7 Windows 7 blue screens, crashes, reboot problems

Alex Gumbleton

Hi all

Recently, I've been having problems with my computer constantly rebooting itself, blue screens and just freezing. It happens no matter what I'm doing, even when left idle I would come back and I would find its frozen or rebooted. This PC is mainly used for gaming, as well as University work, but it seems to freeze when nothing is running or just the internet.

The freezing mainly happens on start up and within the first 10-20minutes of the computer being on, after that it's usually fine. I've had problems with it freezing on the motherboard splash screen, and while windows is loading at start up. Sometimes the computer would freeze on startup with a completely blank screen, and all lights on (disc tray etc).

I've tried a few things, like reinstalling sound and video drivers and cleaning the registry using software recommended to me but nothing has fixed it. I only did a clean install of windows 7 a month ago, as the problems were before that but not as bad as this.

Here are my computer specs:

Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 CPU 2.50 GHz

ASUS M2V motherboard
250GB HDD
3GB DD2 RAM
GeForce 9800GT GPU

Any advice or help would be great and really appreciated, also if anymore information is needed please ask. (I've attached the .dmp file but only after reading this forum I set windows to not automatically restart and dump to the minidump folder).

Thanks
Alex

Attachments

• 070610-28080-01.zip
    27.3 KB · Views: 194
Hello,

There is an outdated Driver that is pretty old that is notorious for BSOD. It's one of your Asus Utilities. I would recommend to remove all the Asus related utilities then go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and rename ASACPI.sys to ASACPI.old

Uninstall your Realtek Audio Driver and download a fresh copy from vendors website and install it. Don't sue Windows Update to update your Driver.

Good Luck,
Captain

Hi all

Recently, I've been having problems with my computer constantly rebooting itself, blue screens and just freezing. It happens no matter what I'm doing, even when left idle I would come back and I would find its frozen or rebooted. This PC is mainly used for gaming, as well as University work, but it seems to freeze when nothing is running or just the internet.

The freezing mainly happens on start up and within the first 10-20minutes of the computer being on, after that it's usually fine. I've had problems with it freezing on the motherboard splash screen, and while windows is loading at start up. Sometimes the computer would freeze on startup with a completely blank screen, and all lights on (disc tray etc).

I've tried a few things, like reinstalling sound and video drivers and cleaning the registry using software recommended to me but nothing has fixed it. I only did a clean install of windows 7 a month ago, as the problems were before that but not as bad as this.

Here are my computer specs:

Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 CPU 2.50 GHz

ASUS M2V motherboard
250GB HDD
3GB DD2 RAM
GeForce 9800GT GPU

Any advice or help would be great and really appreciated, also if anymore information is needed please ask. (I've attached the .dmp file but only after reading this forum I set windows to not automatically restart and dump to the minidump folder).

Thanks
Alex

Hi Alex,
is the motherboard Bios up to date?

thanks for the replies!

I reinstalled my audio driver and renamed the file, but I don't have any Asus utilities as far as I know, I didn't install any

I'm not sure if the bios is up to date, I had to update it almost a year ago when I added the graphics card and it went alright, but I'm afraid to do it again as I've heard it can cause problems - could this be the problem?

so far today this PC has been fine, no problems at all.

thanks very much for the advice

Well it's usually best to keep the bios updated but it sounds like you might sorted the machine already? If it does start acting up again then I guess it's something you could chase up..

Back