Windows 7 Windows 7 Build 7601 "Not Genuine"

Ebm9000

Booted up the PC, got this in the bottom right corner. No notification, just the not genuine marker. Running a virus scan now... But I am not sure what happened. Upon going into the Activate Windows program, an error occurs and the desktop turns black. When I go into System Settings, both product key and activation status are Unavalible... T_T I think it is from DC Universe that I removed when I heard about FixTiemStamp.exe... But Im not too sure right now. HELP!

Booted up the PC, got this in the bottom right corner. No notification, just the not genuine marker. Running a virus scan now... But I am not sure what happened. Upon going into the Activate Windows program, an error occurs and the desktop turns black. When I go into System Settings, both product key and activation status are Unavalible... T_T I think it is from DC Universe that I removed when I heard about FixTiemStamp.exe... But Im not too sure right now. HELP!

Are you using a Genuine Windows Install?

Came pre installed.
What brand computer & model are you using? Processor, motherboard specs would be helpful. Is it a desktop or a laptop? Did you buy from a computer store or online? Sometimes people who resell laptops will use plageurized software when they acquire a computer, and they try to pass off as legal. Question from anypctroulbe above is at the heart of the matter. Also, what country are you located in? If not in USA, this has become a big problem.

BIGBEARJEDI :confused:

Specs are on my profile, and the PC was bought from best buy.

Gateway DX SERIES Desktop PC

Hi again Ebm: I looked over your specs, and the Gateway DX looks like a legitimate system and you bought from a legitimate retail source *Best Buy*. You could have a virus, but there are not too many of them that go after windows7 license deactivation specifically. I have never seen one, but that doesn't mean that one isn't out there. There are 100+ new viruses that come out every single day!

With that said, I did a quick google on this problem, and it turns out you are not the first to experience this problem; in fact another Windows7forums user had a similar problem. There were some good suggestions here to look at http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-support/41647-windows-7-just-deactivated-me.html.

One of the things mentioned was to call Microsoft, and they can often help you resolve this type of problem for free, especially given that this is such a new system. The other item mentioned was re-entering the W7 product key. Make sure that you have a COA (Certificate Of Authenticity) on the outside case of your Gateway tower. If you enter it from the paperwork or Win7 cd case that came with your Gateway and it doesn't work--try entering the product key that's on that COA sticker on your Gateway case. This sticker is about 1-2 inches long and has the Microsoft logo on it. It can be on the side of the case, or the rear of the case, and more rarely can be on the underside of the case underneath between the floor and the case bottom. It doesn't sound like you lost the paperwork and cd's that came with your system as you mentioned you tried entering the key already. Sometimes the COA key that's on the case sticker can be different from the COA key depending on the licensing that the manufacturer (Gateway in this case) has with Microsoft. Sometimes both are good, but often only 1 of those 2 will work with the software that came with your Gateway. I won't go into detail why that is.

Read that link I sent you above and review both methods and chose one or both; that should get you going again. If it doesn't, I suggest you take your Gateway back to the Best Buy store where you bought and they can resolve for you. Geek Squad if in your Best Buy location will have the necessary tools to fix it for you. If they can't they can reload your Windows7 if necessary or replace your entire system. If Best Buy won't do that for you, you should take your situation directly to Gateway. I've never had a Customer who has had to do this, as Best Buy is very very good at fixing this particular problem; but I don't think Gateway would want it to get out that they are selling their computers with plaguerized illegal copies of Microsoft Windows.

Good luck.

BIGBEARJED :computer:

Specs are on my profile, and the PC was bought from best buy.

Gateway DX SERIES Desktop PC

Ah, but when I go into Windows Activation, it says access denied (?). Scanned several times. Nothing found (??)

Back
Top Bottom