Windows 7 Windows 7 chkdsk problem

louis4455

Hi

I have a problem with my windows 7 64 bit chkdsk utility at boot up

when i go to my computer and to the local disc-properties-tools-error check then it says it wil be seduled at next system start up.
at the start up it give you 10 sec to cancel after 10 sec it just freezes and nothing happens then i have to reset the system:confused:

My system specs

HP Pavilion Dv7-2270us laptop

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Intel core2 Quad Q9000 2Ghz
4GB DDR3 memory
500gb sata hardrive
ATI mobility Radeon HD 4650 2gb graphics

Do you have access to any other drives...hdd, floppy, usb??

Try to use one of those and run Checkdisk in Windows. It will be interesting to see if Checkdisk works in Windows. Maybe it will give you an error message if it doesnt.

Maybe try running MSConfig.exe and see if you show AUTOCHK in the Startup Tab.

You might also check the registry and see if you have this key. I have it, so it is probably not related to your problem.

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute

Last edited:
I have the same problem. System: hp dv7-2180us (notebook) I schedule a chkdsk /f from a cmd prompt (elevated) and when I restart It counts down and just freezes at 1 second..... eventually Im able to get into the system after a few reboots and pressing any key to avoid the chkdsk but that usually doesn't work the first time I try it.

when i go to my computer and to the local disc-properties-tools-error check then it says it wil be seduled at next system start up. at the start up it give you 10 sec to cancel after 10 sec it just freezes and nothing happens then i have to reset the system:confused:
Are you sure it is freezing, it may take a long time for the chkdsk to run.

Where exactly do you find the "it will be scheduled" message, I can't find anything from your directions, unless where mine says check now, yours says a check is scheduled.

To see if the drive has been marked as dirty by Windows, open an administrative command prompt and type:
chkntfs c: where c: is the volume.

Then type chkntfs /? and see if any of the options are what you want to do...

RE

saltgrass

No it's definitely not responding it stops at 1 sec of the 10 sec and i leave the computer for an hour and still noting it's not critical but annoying i hope Microsoft wil fix the problem

CHKDSK C: /F - Hangs @ 1 second

CHKDSK C: /F - Hangs @ 1 second

I was having the same issue with my Dell Studioxps 1640. This is what I found to solve the problem. :cool:

On Boot Up:
  • Press F8 repetedly when you see the Dell Logo = Boot into Safe Mode
  • Advanced Boot Options
  • Repair your Computer
  • CMD Prompt
  • CHKDSK C: /F
/F Fixes errors on the disk.
/V On FAT/FAT32: Displays the full path and name of every file on the disk. On NTFS: Displays cleanup messages if any.
/R Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /F).
/L:size NTFS only only: Changes the log file size to the specified number of kilobytes. If size is not specified, displays current size.
/X Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary. All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid (implies /F).
/I NTFS only: Performs a less vigorous check of index entries.
/C NTFS only: Skips checking of cycles within the folder structure.
/B NTFS only: Re-evaluates bad clusters on the volume (implies /R)

Ref:
Advanced Boot Options - Windows 7 Forums

How to use CHKDSK (Check Disk) - Windows 7

Re: CHKDSK C: /F - Hangs @ 1 second

I have a similar problem; however, the chkdsk goes through the routine until it reaches Verifying Indexes...

At that point it gets to 68% complete (894257 of 929118 index entries processed)...

Than it stalls I have waited up to 5 minutes and then powered off. Previously when it did chkdsk the whole process lasted about 3-5 minutes maximum.

I filled out as much of my profile information as I could but to be honest I do not know where many of the items listed would be found. I am attaching a jpeg of the system page from my control panel in hopes that will give some assistance...
Windows 7 Information - Resized.jpg

This process has happened constantly over the last few days and I am not certain why it does. But it always ends up stalling... Any help, in language I could understand, would be greatly appreciated... I live in the Philippines so I am leary about have a technician come and work on this laptop.
Thanks and Happy New Year to all...
Tidus.Lionheart

Re: CHKDSK C: /F - Hangs @ 1 second

Hello Tidus and welcome to the forum.
Click the start orb and type
device manager
and hit enter
expand Disk Drives and note the model number of your drive(s)
Google and determine the manufacturer and obtain the vendor specific hard drive diagnostic utility.
Two common ones are | Seagate and WD Support / Downloads / Select Product
I would also suggest attempting to use the built in defrag utility to defrag the drive a couple times and would strongly recommend waiting longer than 5 minutes for the chkdsk utility to complete in can appear to be hung and pause any number of times during the process. Just let it run, depending on the size of the drive and it's contents and structure an hour or more is not a long time.
Regards
Randy

Back