Windows 7 Windows 7 compatibility failure

Ortus

Windows 7 compatibility failure SOLVED!!

Hi There!

I've been running Windows 7 Beta 1 Build 7000 since the release, without any major issues.
But now I have a problem that's really annoying, and I just can't seem to fix it.

I just bought the game Grand Theft Auto IV and I was happy to finally test it out. But the game doesn't work, well okey, I think and I start to do a little research. After five minutes of searching the net I can conclude that I need to run it under the compatibility mode "Windows Vista".

I go back to the dvd-folder and change this in the GTA IV setup.exe, but in the back of my head I suspect that this is not going to work since I've had alot of problems with W7 not working in compatibility modes. And all my expectations were true, it did not work.
The message I recieve follows.. "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click OK to terminate the application"
This is not the first time this message appears when I try to run a program in compatibility mode. I've tested to combine it with "Run as an Administrator" and I've also tried to run it under other compatibility modes, but still, same message.

Please help me out here, so my money wont be a waste.

Greetings
(or the way we say it in Sweden..)
Med Vänliga Hälsningar
Mattias

EDIT: I solved the problem by reinstalling my Windows 7 Beta. Now everything works out.

Last edited:
Hi There!

I've been running Windows 7 Beta 1 Build 7000 since the release, without any major issues.
But now I have a problem that's really annoying, and I just can't seem to fix it.

I just bought the game Grand Theft Auto IV and I was happy to finally test it out. But the game doesn't work, well okey, I think and I start to do a little research. After five minutes of searching the net I can conclude that I need to run it under the compatibility mode "Windows Vista".

I go back to the dvd-folder and change this in the GTA IV setup.exe, but in the back of my head I suspect that this is not going to work since I've had alot of problems with W7 not working in compatibility modes. And all my expectations were true, it did not work.
The message I recieve follows.. "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click OK to terminate the application"
This is not the first time this message appears when I try to run a program in compatibility mode. I've tested to combine it with "Run as an Administrator" and I've also tried to run it under other compatibility modes, but still, same message.

Please help me out here, so my money wont be a waste.

Greetings
(or the way we say it in Sweden..)
Med Vänliga Hälsningar
Mattias

run autorun DO NOT RUN SETUP!. autorun isntalls more files then setup and without those files it will not work. also i did windows xp sp2 mode and it worked flawlessly after installation on windows 7 32 bit

rep me if i helped you =D (i want more rep T.T)

Last edited:
Yes I am awared of this and the problem still remains. You see.. If I just click the Autorun the setup will tell me that GTA IV is not compatible with GTA IV. This is why I need to run it in Windows Vista compatibility mode. And that's the thing that is not working.

Thanks Anyways

EDIT: The Social Club is installed but not the game, when the game is about to install the setup tells me that it's not compatible.

Yes I am awared of this and the problem still remains. You see.. If I just click the Autorun the setup will tell me that GTA IV is not compatible with GTA IV. This is why I need to run it in Windows Vista compatibility mode. And that's the thing that is not working.

Thanks Anyways

EDIT: The Social Club is installed but not the game, when the game is about to install the setup tells me that it's not compatible.

yes to fix that run it under windows xp sp2 mode! im sure it will work for you.

and make sure to go where your setup .exe is. right click it and select properties. select compatibilty and make sure windows xp sp2 is checked and run as admin is check then clik apply, ok and open utorun and try again. this should work

Last edited:
i dont suppose you've either used a reg hack or another program to remove the watermark from the desktop?
these are known killers of the backwards compatibility.

Sorry for the bump, but I found out that you can still apply the patch and keep the compatibility mode at the same time. After a few hours of googling around and stuff, it turns out that in order for user32.dll and/or user32.dll.mui to be modded, you need to change ownership and permissions to the file. By default, system files are owned by NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller. What the watermark hack does is to change the ownership of the file to the user, but the guy behind it must have forgotten to add some code for the permissions to be back to the default values.

What I did was to open an untouched DLL file, look at its permission settings, and apply the same values to the affected DLLs. And there you go! No more annoying application failure errors whenever you try to use compatibility mode in a patched W7 install...

Sorry for the bump, but I found out that you can still apply the patch and keep the compatibility mode at the same time. After a few hours of googling around and stuff, it turns out that in order for user32.dll and/or user32.dll.mui to be modded, you need to change ownership and permissions to the file. By default, system files are owned by NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller. What the watermark hack does is to change the ownership of the file to the user, but the guy behind it must have forgotten to add some code for the permissions to be back to the default values.

What I did was to open an untouched DLL file, look at its permission settings, and apply the same values to the affected DLLs. And there you go! No more annoying application failure errors whenever you try to use compatibility mode in a patched W7 install...

I am having trouble opening programs setup.exe due to compatibility. HOw do you change the DLL file?

Back
Top Bottom