Windows 7 Windows 7 Compatible Laptop

If your program is so old it only works on Windows 7, and you plan on using it long term, Virtualization is the way to go. As far as performance, a VM with enough cores allocated will run it better than an old Windows 7 machine ever would.

You misunderstand, I just purchased a 6K windows 10 desktop that will be used online. However, I can't get this application to work on Windows 10. Therefore, I was looking to purchase a windows 7 laptop (offline) just for this application, only when I need to use it. I would still use my new Windows 10 desktop for everything else. Like I said, I don't really like the idea of having both Windows 7 and Windows 10 on my new desktop. Weather that be a dual boot or VM. Plus I read that a VM is not recommended for gaming computers.

I still want to try and get this app to work on windows 10, i just need someone to help me. I may have to try a different windows forum.

You would not want to game inside of a Virtual Machine no, but it's perfectly fine to have on your system for legacy applications and won't affect any apps on your main system. I have VM's for everything from DOS, Win3.11, 95, 98, 2000, NT4, Windows 7/8/Vista. They only use resources when your actually using them. That being said I often leave 2-3 VM's running at a time, and still game on my system with no impact (I have a decent processor and lots of RAM of course). Most likely you can get your app to work, it's probably just a permissions issue. What application is it?

Thanks for the information, I didn't realize that you can play games on a VM. Although, I personally still don't like the idea of a VM, no offense. To be fair, I would still have to do a lot more research on a VM still before I can really have an opinion. Most importantly, I want to see if it possible to get the app to work on Windows 10 before, I even consider a laptop, dual boot or VM.

The app is named Elgar 2.6 developed by Klark Teknik back in 2006. It is an app that allows me to communicate with my external audio devices, via USB to serial RS 485. I have a Moxa Uport that connects to the the audio devices via RS 485 and also connects to my computer via usb. This app allows me to reprogram my audio devices very quickly and monitor in real time. My audio devices such last me another 20 years, so I would like to use the app long term. Note, I can still do everything that app does on the device it self manually. The device itself has a screen and buttons on the front panel. Basically, the app is a remote control and allows you to make changes very quickly since everything is laid out. Opposed, to have to scroll though all the menus and parameters manually on the device itself. Also note, this audio devices are placed in a rack next to my new desktop. Basically, I have a large studio desk for all my audio equipment and my desktop PS sits underneath. I also work with audio editing and therefore the PC is connected to my audio system via a high end, usb audio interface.

Anyway, I was having a conversation with someone on this forum and he was able to get it to almost work. However, before I even had the chance to continue, our conversation was terminated. I created a new conversation last night titled, need help with application. If you would like to help me, please check it out. Everything is explained and you can download the apps. If you are able to get the app and the add on app to work in Windows 10, please let me know. If you are uninterested in trying to help me get the app to run in Windows 10, can you recommend another forum for me to try?

Thanks,

Back